Linux vs win 10 for NVR and Ip cams

Hackedup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
like the title says Linux vs win 10 for NVR and ipcams which on is more secure ? will we ever see BI for Linux ?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
any PC (windows or MacOS or linux) is as secure as you make it.
I would run BI on Linux if it were available, but it's not...

Hackedup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what I've been reading Linux is the most secure out of all the OS's and that's doing all the security tweaks for all of them

Hackedup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
any PC (windows or MacOS or linux) is as secure as you make it.
I would run BI on Linux if it were available, but it's not...
the point is im trying to just get some feed back on the most secure OS for a NVR .

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
my point is that you choose the OS that runs the software that works best for you.
then you secure the OS and the network as needed.
your network security is your first/best line of defense, not the OS of your server...

you could be running the most secure NVR server ever and if you don't prevent your
cams from phoning home or worse yet, opening incoming ports via UPNP, it just doesn't matter...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the point is im trying to just get some feed back on the most secure OS for a NVR .
NVRs and PCs run different software focusing on the OS isn't as useful as you imagine.
NVRs use embedded versions of windows or linux and generally don't receive software updates with the frequency a PC would.

You can do all sorts of extra things to secure a PC running whatever OS you choose. On an NVR you can't do much to the NVR itself.
With the right networking hardware, you can do all sorts of things to externally enforce security on either.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Hackedup

There was a time when linux was significantly more secure than windows out of the box... that was quite sometime ago, since then:

MS has done a very good job making windows more secure each year, and the Linux community has also done a good job. BOTH are still full of unpublished security holes.

Also the applications run on those boxes are full of security holes - and the IP cameras are also.

USE a firewall to protect them, use your router and firewall settings to protect them. Do not expect either OS to be secure, nor plan the applications running on them to be secure from cyberattacks.