nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
generally speaking:

2x12 Bay Synology NAS = 220w
Decent i7 Server = 200w
25 3MP IP Cameras @ 6w = 150w
Supporting Network Equipment = 50w

lets round that up say 700w, your going to want about a 1500VA UPS to get about ~100min of battery backup.. you should calculate this in too; any affordable UPS will only keep your cameras up for a few mins at most.. anyone who cuts your power or comes in during power outages or natural disasters can wait a few mins for the cameras to fall dead... you also cant run a 700w security system off most small cheap generators or solar panels.

and lets avg that out to 500w 24/7/365 and it works out to at least $500/yr avg if your electric costs are not too high (hope your not in california).. ontop of any security system monitoring costs you accumulate throughout the year, and the cost of cooling this in the summer and your probably better much off lowering the deductible on your home insurance and increasing the coverage if your not worried about break ins.. at least then you'll have some sort of guarantee for the price your paying.

dont forget to budget for some spare disks and a continuous feed of new drives; having dozens of running drives 24/7 and failure rates start to become apparent; one day with some bad power problems and you'll find your self with a whole handfull of drives to replace in a hurry (typically a few months after the warranty expired).. I hope you have an adequately climate controlled server rack bolted to a nice slab to mount this gear in; putting this much moving material in anything less sturdy will shorten the lifespan of those drives your investing so much into.. it wont be quiet thats forsure.

$7k seems really optimistic unless you start sacrificing some requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

taylor

n3wb
Reaction score
What I am trying to determine:
My data network which is currently at 38 runs of Cat6 will be wired to a 48 port switch.. I also need ports for the whole house audio/automation but should have 2 left over for camera use.. Originally I was going to do a 16 ip camera system with built in poe for all cameras and that only required 1 port on the switch.. If I go with an NVR with no poe's would this be the correct way of installing:

internet cable from provider from pole > into the cable modem > cat6 from modem to whole house 48 port switch > cat6 from whole house switch to separate 24 port poe switch (cameras will input into this unit) > cat6 from camera 24 port switch to 32 channel NVR?
What I did is get a 16-port POE injector here at wifiqos.com Obviously for more cameras you'll need 2 I guess.
Then I got a 24-port Gigabit switch (you may need more.)
Then a bunch of 1ft patch cables from monoprice.com. I also got a wall-mount rack and patch panels from nonoprice and rack mounted all of it.

I didn't get a POE switch because I couldn't find one that wasn't super expensive that had 16 powered ports. It was cheaper to do what I did.

All of my cameras feed to this one rack. The NVR is just out on my network. I got the DS-7716NI-SP/16.
If you do what I did or use a POE switch to feed your cameras to, don't worry about inputs on the NVR. You'll just be using the gigabit network port. As long is it says it supports XX cameras, the software is going to allow you to set up with that many cameras. Also look for the input data rate. Min has an 80Mbps input max which means 4Mbps at 16 cameras, 8Mbps with 8 cameras, or whichever in between.

In my particular case the climate of burglaries in this city are daytime and opportunistic. There is a lot of casing going on too. It was said that a nosy neighbor and a Dog are by far your best best deterrents, I have the former but I'm not interested in getting (another) dog.
Entry is usually from the rear and exiting the front. They come over backyard fences. Some are kicking in the front door, but those are less frequent.

I'm experimenting with a combination of 6mm, 12mm, and 25mm cameras to record all street traffic including facial details and license plate numbers so that when suspicious vehicles are reported on nextdoor.com, I may have the footage. Many times in past months I wish I had that. Also a lot of door-to-door solicitors are extremely sketchy and suspicious and seem to be casing houses. I want recordings of those visitors. The rest is (mainly 4mm cameras) to monitor back and side yards for prowlers. I believe I had someone in my backyard peeping in the window recently.

The DS-2CD2632F-IS is a BIG camera. I got one to try it out and it's a lot bigger than what I want to hang on my house. Just be aware of that. You get sound, SD card storage on-device, and varifocal. I would instead recommend the 2032 which is very small and understated. Try finding it with a 2.5mm, 4mm, 6mm, 12mm, etc. fixed focus lens (default is 4mm.) But that's up to you.
I also got a bunch of the
DS-2CD2212-I5 EXIR. They're pretty big too. I'm not convinced that they're any better at low-light performance and would have just stuck with the 2032 since the're more subtle.

I do want visible cameras as a deterrent, but I also don't want my neighbors to think I'm a crackpot by having big-assed cameras all over the house.