Little newbie question

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve been searching and reading a lot just never posted anything. Long story short, I used to have a dahua system that I bought from Andy back in the day. We sold that house and instead of taking the system with us I decided to just buy a new one later.
Fast forward to present time, I bought a Lorex kit from Best Buy at the time was the best they had. The system D841A8-D262 currently running 6 of the 8 cameras. Question is, I’d like to get the Lorex doorbell camera and connect it to the Lorex system; however when I talked to customer support they informed me I had to have a “fusion” NVR.
So is there a way I can just buy the NVR but keep my current cameras? I ran a single cable that both powers the camera and carries the video feed. I don’t think my wife will accept the fact we left a better system and now wanting to upgrade so that’s probably out of the question

Any help will be much appreciated

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the cable ethernet or BNC?

If Ethernet, then yes, Lorex is a rebranded Dahua so almost any Lorex, Dahua, amcrest, or Andy NVR should work.
If they are BNC then you need to find an analog DVR.

Too bad you left a better system at your old house!

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This was my old quote I found

Qty 5 - DH-IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
Qty 4 - DH-IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE

Qty 1 - NVR4216-16P-4KS2

How would I connect the BNC cable to the NVR is what I’m asking? I understand you would normally run ip cameras but I’m asking if it’s possible to keep my current camera system and just change from the current DVR to NVR

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the cable ethernet or BNC?

If Ethernet, then yes, Lorex is a rebranded Dahua so almost any Lorex, Dahua, amcrest, or Andy NVR should work.
If they are BNC then you need to find an analog DVR.

Too bad you left a better system at your old house!
current system is bnc cabling to the DVR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You cannot run analog cameras to an IP NVR - analog cameras do the video processing in the DVR , whereas IP cameras do the processing. They are not compatible.

You could buy an analog to digital converter to process the video, but it would cost more than new cameras.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You cannot run analog cameras to an IP NVR - analog cameras do the video processing in the DVR , whereas IP cameras do the processing. They are not compatible.

You could buy an analog to digital converter to process the video, but it would cost more than new cameras.
I was hoping they made an adapter or something but I didn’t know how it all processed anyways. Are there any Lorex NVR kits one would recommend fairly priced?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use these converters to make use of the BNC cables if you switch to IP cameras.

Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your best bet if you want to still use those cameras would be to get a hybrid NVR system that accepts both.

Or go back to the oldbhouse and tell them you wanna switch lol.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your best bet if you want to still use those cameras would be to get a hybrid NVR system that accepts both.

Or go back to the oldbhouse and tell them you wanna switch lol.
I don’t mind running new cable if I get a new system but wanted to keep the cost down or re-use what I could. Kick myself in the pants for not taking down the old system, as I paid a pretty penny back then. Guess I need to look at switching over to a full NVR setup again but like I said keep the cost down!

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found this kit somewhat of interest but didn’t know what you guys thought. I could always buy two more cameras to get back my 6 I have now

N84283T-48AB-E

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That kit above comes with the E892AB Camera which I have no idea is good or bad. I also see they have an E893AB Camera but is separate from the kit. I have the hard drive and cabling so it might be cheaper to piece one together?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
they might work for closer targets on the porch or driveway, they're probably gonna be 2.8 mm cams. they seem to be the default camera in boxed setups. maybe get some varifocal cams from empiretech to get the good "money shots"

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found this kit somewhat of interest but didn’t know what you guys thought. I could always buy two more cameras to get back my 6 I have now

N84283T-48AB-E
FYi - kit in question

N84283T-48AB-E

1640581991767.png

iirc those cameras have smaller sensors than many of us like.