Little Overwhelmed - Swimming Pool PTZ System Advice

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
So general consensus seems to be overage with fixed vs ptz for this application. I took a few pictures to give a better idea of the application. Unfortunately I didn't have keys to the club house so the photos are from the perspective of where I want coverage...

I think it would be easy enough with the fixed and tripwire since the pool deck is so large.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, appreciate all the comment's. It's been incredibly helpful and steered me to many more resource's I hadn't seen before!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a super place for what you are trying to do. Get a few fixed dahlia starlight cameras, not 2.8mm but 4mm or more at a few different angles, set up a tripwire or intrusion wire around the perimeter. When the line is triggered have the PTZ camera focus in and zoom on that area. You can set up push notifications to several HOA member's phone and get email snapshots the activity and see if it is necessary to call the police right from your bed at night. Get a big black face Dahua. I have one and it works amazing. I have the 30x 4k. You want a 15x 2k with better low light then mine and less zoom.

I can see why they want to jump the fence. Nice pool! :)

Get the better low light 2mp with built in IR lights. $650 is cheap for what it does: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Here is the 30X 4mp at night. It is not amazing in low light but I need it for day. I expect the 2mp to quite a bit better. Still, this would identify someone one easily:

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you add a few LED flood lights. The more base level light you can get in the area the better the cams will perform, just a few motion activated flood lights from home depot for $50 each.

Down the road once you know who is causing trouble, set up a simple strong light that triggers when the trip wire is detected or you can turn it on remotely from a wemo wifi plug from bed. That will let them know you are aware and will prob be enough to get them to flee the area. Amazon.com: SECO-LARM SL-126Q/B Blue Strobe Light; For 6- to 12-Volt use; For "informative" general signaling requirements; Incorrect polarity cannot damage circuit or draw current; Easy 2-wire installation, regardless of voltage: Musical Instruments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Which is the 15x 2k you're talking about. I struggle with the Dahua site lol...

I think using 2 or 3 HFW5231E-Z5 or HDW5231R-Z would give me the site coverage I need but I'm not sure it's worth the cost difference for the Z5?

This is a super place for what you are trying to do. Get a few fixed dahlia starlight cameras, not 2.8mm but 4mm or more at a few different angles, set up a tripwire or intrusion wire around the perimeter. When the line is triggered have the PTZ camera focus in and zoom on that area. You can set up push notifications to several HOA member's phone and get email snapshots the activity and see if it is necessary to call the police right from your bed at night. Get a big black face Dahua. I have one and it works amazing. I have the 30x 4k. You want a 15x 2k with better low light then mine and less zoom.

Here is the 30X 4mp at night. It is not amazing in low light but I need it for day. I expect the 2mp to quite a bit better. Still, this would identify someone one easily

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Dahua website is terribly confusing. I stay off there and research based off what I see for sale on the market. Alie express will be your biggest savings. If you buy from the big retailers B and H etc. they will take just as long, a few weeks and you will quite a bit more. Use a VISA card for protection on allieexpress.

Why the 59230?
It how good low light capability
It is cheap at $620
It is very waterproof
It will last a long time
It is easy to mount
It is reliable
It has a good web interface
it has built in IRs for extra low light
It has been tried and tested by many

Something like this would work well: here

Anything that says starlight in the name will perform considerably better at night in low light then what you saw on my video. I did not get one of these because I wanted higher resolution for daytime video. Here is starlight HERE

There are tons on alieexpress here

wrong language but good views of it:
check out the low light features @nayr posted here:
Heads up, the 59230 has optional IVS. I've yet to here about one that comes with it. Not necessary but would be nice. Your fixed cameras will prob take care of that but just show you know:

"
IVS (optional)

Tripwire, Intrusion, Abandoned Object Detection, Missing Object Detection
"

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The HDW5231R-Z has a mic built in. The HDW5231R-Z5 does not but you can add a mic, but kind of a pain in my mind. Have at least one camera with a mic built in and you can add that audio stream to all cameras in the area via Blue Iris option so you can hear the people talking trouble even in the PTZ camera during playback. The HDW5231R-Z5 you can wire a strong light right into it for when the IVS is tripped.

Don't forget to save money for install (at least a $1,000), a BI computer $600, a hard drive $150, switch $100, internet $50 a month, mounting hardware and junction boxes $200. The closer you can make the computer to the cameras on that wall the better for install price and simplicity.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Question on the mic on any of these, they can be disabled correct? We're a dual party state and it constitutes wiretapping if you record audio without an oral or written agreement by both parties :/

Thankfully we're getting internet installed as a "bonus" for pool goers. It's amazing that you can be at the pool and need to watch youtube apparently...

I appreciate all the help and I think I have a plan now. Out of curiosity, does BI offer anything substantial over an NVR such as a NVR5208-8P-4KS2?

The HDW5231R-Z has a mic built in. The HDW5231R-Z5 does not but you can add a mic, but kind of a pain in my mind. Have at least one camera with a mic built in and you can add that audio stream to all cameras in the area via Blue Iris option so you can hear the people talking trouble even in the PTZ camera during playback. The HDW5231R-Z5 you can wire a strong light right into it for when the IVS is tripped.

Don't forget to save money for install (at least a $1,000), a BI computer $600, a hard drive $150, switch $100, internet $50 a month, mounting hardware and junction boxes $200. The closer you can make the computer to the cameras on that wall the better for install price and simplicity.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, just disable the mic in the software.

Might want to add a few signs that there are cameras on the pool property and recording.

Yes BI is significantly better in my experience then that NVR. I had a similar NVR and switched to Blue Iris recently and I am much much happier. Those NVR's will make you wan to pull your haircut. The settings don't always take, the iOS app is terrible compared to BI and it is much more limited in functionality. You also can't log into each camera remotely unless you add a switch. NVR is better for quick easy setup for people that don't understand windows computers well. Sounds like you understand computers though. Many of us on here are happy to help if you run into trouble in the setup. I can also log in remotely when it you get it hooked up and optimize your BI settings for you.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Very cool, appreciate all the help, I'm going to get a system spec sheet built and will update the post then to see if anyone has thoughts! Thanks everyone!!!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya, there are others way more experienced then me that can chime in. The PTZ camera is going to be look kind of creepy in the middle of the day overlooking the pool. Can you have a preset set so it spins around backwards and takes a nap and doesn't creep out the ladies during the daytime pool hours?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you learn how to use this: Camera Calculator / Design Software keeping PPF>100 it will give you a good idea of what you can cover and get facial ID's.
With the right cameras and lenses, it appears most of the cam's could be mounted on the bottom of that deck.

Again use the calculator linked above. Take your time, and do it right. Steep learning curve.

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Never likes bi does it support motion detectors and alarm in and out? To me I always want that as a backup for when you get to many false alarms?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Never likes bi does it support motion detectors and alarm in and out? To me I always want that as a backup for when you get to many false alarms?
If you get Dahua cameras with IVS you don't need all those expensive motion detectors. It works quite well with very few false alarms even in my forest environment Rory constant tree movement and shadows.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Ya, there are others way more experienced then me that can chime in. The PTZ camera is going to be look kind of creepy in the middle of the day overlooking the pool. Can you have a preset set so it spins around backwards and takes a nap and doesn't creep out the ladies during the daytime pool hours?
lol, yeah I was thinking just this... I don't think that would be a problem as the others should give fine daylight coverage. I've been using that to try and keep above 100 and I see what you mean with the learning curve haha! Once I read everything it made much more sense and is coming along nicely.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay so I have coverage with the following setups but I'm having trouble deciding between a few things:
Common Parts:
Dell i5 6500 8G Ram 250G SSD & 8TB Purple
TP-Link 8-port PoE+
Blue Iris

Overview Cams:
4x IPC-HDW5231R-Z
vs
4x IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
Do the benefits outweigh the $30 difference per camera? My max shot is only about 85 ft on one camera and so should I do a mix and get the better for the one long shot?

PTZ Options:
SD59230U-HNI
SD49212T-HN
I really like the 59230 but besides the zoom (12x is more than enough in my scenario) what is the big difference between the Pro and the Lite? Does it really justify double the cost?

Again I am just trying to cover bases here with people that are better informed and thank you all for the amount of help. It's been a great experience here.

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where were you thinking of mounting them all? Your options looks limited to the building or deck.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
Where were you thinking of mounting them all? Your options looks limited to the building or deck.
Correct, I'm looking at the edge of the deck for the fixed cameras and we're going to built a little covered overhang for the PTZ on the side of the building to protect it from being exposed in the sun the entire day.

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could always build a box under the deck and put a recessed ptz with dome. This way people have a hard time seeing where it's pointed just keep the dome out of direct sunlight.
SD52C225U-HNI