live view cams freezing

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 36 camera system. 24 TB of storage, CPU usage stays at about 30-40%.. i'll keep 9 cameras up on the live view in full screen.. and there are a few cameras that will occasionally freeze for a few seconds and then go back to normal... ideas? what can cause this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 36 camera system. 24 TB of storage, CPU usage stays at about 30-40%.. i'll keep 9 cameras up on the live view in full screen.. and there are a few cameras that will occasionally freeze for a few seconds and then go back to normal... ideas? what can cause this?
What is the make and model of the freezing cameras? are they wired or wifi? when they freeze can you view video when you login to the camera via a browser?

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the freeze only happens through blue iris. I can watch through the web browser without issue. they are all Dahua IPC-HDW4300S

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats a tough one, in blue iris what is the frame rate setting set to? do you have "adjust automatically" selected?
Also try messing with the video settings..trying h.264 vs h.264H and cbr vs VBR and possibly adjusting the iframe to 12. I would also email support.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what are some suggestions to reduce disk reads/writes? either too many clips is causes the GUI to slow to a halt or the disk read/writting is over loading it... but the write never goes above like 10 Mb/s so I'm unsure......

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can reduce the number of clips that are written by using the Combine & Cut option under the recording tab in camera properties. This keeps the number of files on disk more manageable in heavy motion detection setups. I can't see throughput being a problem on a modern storage system.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can reduce the number of clips that are written by using the Combine & Cut option under the recording tab in camera properties. This keeps the number of files on disk more manageable in heavy motion detection setups. I can't see throughput being a problem on a modern storage system. Really fenderman's advice about the encoding settings is probably going to lead to better results. Particularly the part about matching the iframe interval to the frame rate.

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've made those adjustments... I'll probably have to delete old clips to have it make any difference though at this point... there are 600,000 clips right now lol. CPU still stays at about 30% and HDD is never more than about 10 MB/s write.... but it still takes about 10-15 seconds for the GUI to respond

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that is probably the problem then. 600,000 clips is a lot!

Something else that may help is to put the clip database on a solid state drive. That is, if you are running a BI version new enough to have the clip database. If you aren't, you should definitely update.

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ohhhhh, I moved the clip DB to the raid array and off the OS / SSD drive... I'll move that back ASAP lol. thanks!! yeah, we're on latest BI!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how big of a difference it makes, but the BI developer does recommend a solid state drive for the clip DB if one is available.