long distance wiring camera

Reaction score
working on 300ft run cat5 wire and rj6 underground to out bldg
dahau 4208 nvr poe to camera IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
running 200ft cat 5 wire camera works.
then connected to lr1002ec/et to undergroud rj6 cable additional 100ft camera not working not found on nvr when plugged in at 300 ft mark .
wires tested good do i need a midspan or can i plug 12 volts into camera ?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
6 cams still a lot for that nvr.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
try unplugging one or more the other working PoE cams to see if that frees up enuf PoE power on the NVR.

if it still doesn't work with fewer (or as the ONLY) cam connected, then there's some issue on that run.

If that longer run does work with fewer other cams, then dudemaar is correct and the NVR can't power that many long PoE runs.
in that case you might try an external PoE injector at the NVR for that run, or on the far end, if you have power there...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, i know the Hik NVR's have a screen that shows current PoE power usage on each port.
i imagine the Dahua may also have such a screen. what does it show for the new/long port's PoE status?

Reaction score
dahau NVR4208-8P-4KS2 no power usage screen , is it safe to plug in 12 volt power supply to poe camera on the long run have outlet nearby to test .
i will try to unplug other cameras to see if that does anything. also any suggestions for power injector or midspan .thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
dahau NVR4208-8P-4KS2 no power usage screen , is it safe to plug in 12 volt power supply to poe camera on the long run have outlet nearby to test .
i will try to unplug other cameras to see if that does anything. also any suggestions for power injector or midspan .thank you
You dont need a midspan or anything. IF you ran a true 300f and its not working you have cheap CCA cable or other defect in the cable or crimp.
Did you use the 568B standard to wire the connections?

Reaction score
got the far camera 300ft on by pulling all other cameras . great idea thank you.
used general brand wire, sould be solid copper not aluminum 568b crimped all connections and used a cheap tester.
2 other cameras also online now . 3 up and running now.
maybe nvr can not run all 5 cameras dahau HDW5231R-ZE ?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
consider that each of the lr1002ec/et adapters also draws some power.

so you either need more power injected at the NVR end (via external Poe injector,)
OR power one or more cams at the remote end with either a 12v adapter or Poe injector...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank You To All for your help .
so i unplugged all cameras and started plugging in the farthest first and they started come online .
also on the 300 ft run, put splitter in at 150 ft to run a second camera and also in back of nvr for 2 channels and they work off one cat5 cable

2 cameras one cat5 wire .
now have 4 out of 5 up and running . 5th camera seperate issue animals chewed up underground rg6 wire .

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank You To All for your help .
so i unplugged all cameras and started plugging in the farthest first and they started come online .
also on the 300 ft run, put splitter in at 150 ft to run a second camera and also in back of nvr for 2 channels and they work off one cat5 cable

2 cameras one cat5 wire .
now have 4 out of 5 up and running . 5th camera seperate issue animals chewed up underground rg6 wire .
The splitter adds attenuation that could interfere on long runs. If the don’t start up all at once you have not solved the problem.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
while a coax splitter would certainly add attenuation, i don't think the passive ethernet splitter he linked to would do so.
it just multiplexes the 4 wires (2 pairs) used for each of two 10/100mbps ethernets into one 8-wire run and divides them again at the other end.
i suppose the connection themselves add something, but it's not really 'splitting' the signal...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
while a coax splitter would certainly add attenuation, i don't think the passive ethernet splitter he linked to would do so.
it just multiplexes the 4 wires (2 pairs) used for each of two 10/100mbps ethernets into one 8-wire run and divides them again at the other end.
i suppose the connection themselves add something, but it's not really 'splitting' the signal...
Any break in the solid cable attenuates both the data flow and the power. This is why using a patch panel can cause issues when a cable is borderline.