Long outdoors netwok cable run

Thanks @jnissen.
The above 800 ft spool you linked to would provide just the right amount of cable for my two runs.
The info you provided some time back, and the encouragement, got me ready to terminate my own cable,
Then, I got cold feet and started looking for pre-terminated cable!
In a preliminary/casual search for some odd reason multi-mode pre-terminated cable appears to be pricier than single mode.
OM3 in terms of capacity will be plenty for me.
I just have to figure out how to get it in.
BTW, the cable you linked to does not appear to be a burial grade cable ... you OK with that?
If it works, I'd go with it because the conduit gives flexibility.
I recently got some pull tape that is marked in foot-increments, and am going to get a measurement to validate my estimate of actual length.
Thinking of getting somebody to terminate the cable, much as I like to do stuff myself.

Yes I’m ok with that since I used a PVC conduit for the fiber to run inside. I would use direct bury if not using a conduit. Armored would provide more protection but does require careful consideration of the ground.

I’ve actually used both ground rated as well as the riser rated. I liked using the conduit and riser fiber better. Allows you to replace the fiber in the future if needed. You can use plain black poly pipe as conduit if you’re contemplating costs.

Like you I was afraid to try terminating my own fiber. After I’ve done a few I feel comfortable with that and wouldn’t hesitate to go this route. The snap on end kits are cheap enough and a few simple tools give you great results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Virga
My understanding of FO is certainly growing - one needs a pair of fibers for one run, OM3 multi-mode is the way to go, and avoid unnecessary joints – run from switch to far point (like an outbuilding) without any intermediate terminations. Got that.
In my case, there are three possible paths forward, two of which depend on my ability to mobilize others.
For the moment, lets say I take a stab at running cable in my existing ¾” conduit, disregard burial rating of FO cable, and try terminating it myself (this would not preclude mobilizing others if the experiment fails).
There is pull string in the conduits, see photos.
First step would be to use the string to pull ½” / 1,250 lb pull tape that I have at hand.
Questions:

1. How should the pull tape be secured to the FO for the 328' pull? Let’s assume:
- the FO is the 12-fiber riser cable linked in the discussion thread above
- Klein lubricating foam above will be at hand, as will be an air compressor to push the foam into the conduit.

2. Each multi fiber FO cable has a specified minimum bend radius, something like 3” – 4”.
How should this be handled at each end?
For example, at the house end the conduit comes up the wall, in to a box.
See photos for conduit conditions at far end, as well as at house end.

Edit:
I'll probably end up rebuilding the far end panel, and replace the wood with horizontal 1m standard DIN rails, installed on standard galvanized posts in concrete.
This will provide more room and flexibility for more gear.

Attachments

• Far_end_overview_of_conduit.jpg
    Far_end_overview_of_conduit.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • Far_end_pull_string.jpg
    Far_end_pull_string.jpg
    895.6 KB · Views: 3
  • House_end_pull_string.jpg
    House_end_pull_string.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The boxes may need to be removed to facilitate pulling/pushing cable. I used a similar pull string and didn’t require a separate pull rope. A more sturdy pull material would help. I pulled about 40-50 lbs worth and at times I was worried it may fail. Believe the rating on the poly string is a bit over 100 lbs.

I taped my pull string to the OM3 cable outer sheath. It stretched the outside sheath quite a bit and I ended up trimming several feet off after it was through conduit. I didn’t form a knot but taped around fiber about three feet in total. Not sure if I had trimmed the sheath back and tied to fibers may have been better?

I had 1” conduit so 3/4” will be a bit tougher but doable. Have a push person feeding fiber spool as well as the puller. I used plenty of Klein lubricant.

I have both ends of my run in watertight boxes similar to what you show. I’m sure some condensation is in the conduit. Will it eventually damage my fiber? No idea but the outer sheath is intact and out of UV light so it should last for years. I did some research and it was recommended to have a drain at the lowest spot. I did not provide a drain since it was buried conduit my electrician installed. I don’t believe he drilled drain lines. Prior to pulling the string I did run a shop vac on the conduit just to ensure bugs or anything else were not in there. It was dry and clear.

Bends are gradual all along the run. Once inside my rack I terminated the FO and left about 8-10 feet as slack I coiled up with about a 12” diameter loop. I only terminated the two fibers I needed. Have ten spares! Practice terminating fibers prior to install. I tested the entire spool just to make sure it didn’t have a break prior to install. The test laser worked great for this. I hooked to Sfp+ and actually checked performance as well with source and destination nodes next to each other.
The LC connectors were removed while I pulled the fiber.

Last edited:
This is how I tie the pull string to the cable to do the Big Pull.

Everything stated by the other member is spot on. Blow out or suck the line once complete to ensure no critters / moisture.

A drain port is also highly recommended.

Half hitch works well for larger wires. I just doubled the pull string back and taped over it. I used about a 1/2 roll of 3M electrical tape to ensure it was well bonded to the pull string.

I would do the pull a bit differently. I’d use the pull string to pull something stronger into the conduit like vinyl coated stainless wire rope (much higher breaking strength, you can pull quite hard without worry). I would use electrical tape on that wire rope the whole length of the cable (maybe every 3-4ft) you’re going to pull through the conduit. Then instead of pulling on the cable, you’ll pull on the wire rope (which takes nearly all of the stress off the cable). You’ll need enough wire rope to go the full length of the conduit twice (half in the conduit for the pull, the other half taped to the cable for strain relief). Once you’re done the pull, just cut off any excess.

Something like this would work for wire rope:

I would also dig down and cut off the vertical portions of the conduit so you are only pulling horizontal. This will help lower friction and get rid of the water inside the conduit. You can just pvc glue/sleeve those other sections back on when you’re done so no big deal. Make sure to use nice sweep bends on the conduit for any 90 degree turns (including where it enters the house), fiber doesn’t like tight bends at all.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.