Look for a human tracking Dahua PTZ camera.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone got any experience in human tracking PTZ camera.

My goal is to have a human tracking PTZ camera hook up to my Blue Iris PC.
The camera is blocked accessing the internet.

I interested in this model: SD2A500HB-GN-A-PV-S2 - Dahua Technology

2023-10-04_15-21-46.jpg

Just wonder if this camera requires a Dahua NVR connected which has access to the internet, for Human Tracking to work?
Does the human tracking feature requires AI from the Cloud to work (internet access)?

If no, can I use the camera itself to detect human tracking.

Thank you.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This camera does not have auto tracking listed in the specifications. The is PT only, not PTZ..... so no optical zoom function.
Are you sure this has auto tracking?

1696405282894.png

Just wonder if this camera requires a Dahua NVR connected which has access to the internet, for Human Tracking to work?
Does the human tracking feature requires AI from the Cloud to work (internet access)?
Dahua cameras which support auto tracking do this AI processing on the camera. No internet or Dahua NVR is needed for auto tracking to work.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This camera does not have auto tracking listed in the specifications. The is PT only, not PTZ..... so no optical zoom function.
Are you sure this has auto tracking?
Thanks, I thought human detection = human tracking is the same thing :facepalm:
I guess I need to search another model which has auto tracking.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the SD4A425DB-HNY.

Below are some of the auto-tracking videos I have captured. I have also added a video of how calling it to a preset with a spotter cam works.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We get this autotracking PTZ question quite a bit LOL

The best sub $1,000 PTZ:

This would be the best around $500 PTZ:

If you have enough light, this camera does well but is not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, so it needs light (and do not update firmware or you will lose autotracking):

If discretion is more important than picture quality at night unless you have a lot of light, this is the best choice:

If money is no object, this is the best one:

If you are looking for a cheap one that is similar to what you posted above then try this one, but autotracking won't be as good as the above, and the zoom isn't as powerful (review thread):

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We get this autotracking PTZ question quite a bit LOL

The best sub $1,000 PTZ:

This would be the best around $500 PTZ:

If you have enough light, this camera does well but is not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, so it needs light (and do not update firmware or you will lose autotracking):

If discretion is more important than picture quality at night unless you have a lot of light, this is the best choice:

If money is no object, this is the best one:

If you are looking for a cheap one that is similar to what you posted above then try this one, but autotracking won't be as good as the above, and the zoom isn't as powerful (review thread):

Thanks for you information, which will save lots of time on myself doing the researching. :)

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the SD4A425DB-HNY.

Below are some of the auto-tracking videos I have captured. I have also added a video of how calling it to a preset with a spotter cam works.

Thanks you for sharing your video. :)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just be aware that all "auto-tracking" PTZs are not going to perform the same. The reliability of the tracking really varies from model to model. Generally speaking, the higher the price and the newer the camera, the better tracking you will get. The issue with the auto tracking is not when the person is moving, as most cameras do an adequate job at tracking a moving subject. The differences come in when the person stops moving and/or passes behind a static object (a tree, pole, car, etc). This causes all the cameras to "loose" the movement/tracking. A lot of cameras will very quickly "reset" and return to the "home" position which means you'll miss any further movement of the subject. The cameras with better tracking algorithms will do a better job "lingering" in an attempt to reacquire the subject.

Last edited:

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just be aware that all "auto-tracking" PTZs are not going to perform the same. The reliability of the tracking really varies from model to model. Generally speaking, the higher the price and the newer the camera, the better tracking you will get. The issue with the auto tracking is not when the person is moving, as most cameras do an adequate job at tracking a moving subject. The differences come in when the person stops moving and/or passes behind a static object (a tree, pole, car, etc). This causes all the cameras to "loose" the movement/tracking. A lot of cameras will very quickly "reset" and return to the "home" position which means you'll miss any further movement of the subject. The cameras with better tracking algorithms will do a better job "lingering" in an attempt to reacquire the subject.
Camera is:
SD4A425DB-HNY

Yup I understand what you mean. Auto tracking stops after a certain distance when it detected the mail box.
Here is the footage:
View attachment 2023-10-04_21-25-00.mp4

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^This is why we never recommend a PTZ as only coverage. It is a great compliment to an existing fixed camera system.

You can't setting out every instance, but there are ways to get around it sticking on the mailbox. Getting off default settings is a huge start. Or adding another spotter cam to get past an object.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it. Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post.

BlueWave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ that I bought from Andy @ EmpireTech about 2 years ago, specifically for the Auto PTZ feature and I must say that it works VERY well.

I'm not using spotter cams (although I should give that a try one day) but again just wanted to comment to say this PTZ works GREAT, very happy with my purchase, and as others have said this should NOT be your only coverage.