Looking for 9+ MP outdoor fisheye cameras

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for less expensive alternatives to the Panasonic WV-SFV481, a 9MP, 360 fisheye, outdoor, IP66, vandal resistant camera, rated to function to a minimum -40° C/F operating temp.

Panasonic specs PDF: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/videosurveillance/wvsfv481/wv-sfv481_specsheet.pdf

It's a nice camera, but quite expensive. Around $1400 for the camera, plus another $415 just for the building corner mount bracket.

I understand that part of the cost for this device is "paying for the brand name", though it is a high quality product.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua makes some nicer looking ones for less than half that: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-ebw81200-901.html

Why are you putting a fisheye outdoors? thats like the worst environment for them.. they are designed for indoor close quarters, once you get farther than 30ft away its going to be pretty much useless..

with the big outdoor areas, PTZ's are the prime choice..

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
PTZs that constantly move tend to die from mechanical problems. We had a COP analog heated dome PTZ from a few years back that never really worked properly. Ever looked at the warranties? "If this camera moves constantly, warranty void after 30 days / immediately."

As the megapixels go up, the range of the fisheye increases. That's why I'm looking for such high megapixels.

I am not looking to read license plates from 300ft away, just watching for building vandalism, people fighting, vehicle collisions in parking lot, etc.

I can see combining the fisheye, along with some fixed high megapixel cams for specific areas of interest.

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
Panasonic says: 2992 x 2992

If that is accurate, then the Panasonic would be (radius ^ 2 * pi =) 7.03 megapixel inside the circle.

I have so far not found an actual still image of the camera view, on the Internet. (I am buying one for testing, to see if it's worth using.)

Dahua says: 4000x3000 (though is actually 3000x3000 due to being a circle..)

I see an example image of the Dahua from Nelly's, and... the fisheye lens view is actually quite a bit smaller than the sensor's outer edge... weird.
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/blog/surveillance/dahua-ipc-ebw81200-12mp-ultra-hd-vandal-proof-ir-weatherproof-fisheye-security-camera/

Measuring that, it comes out to 2660 diameter actual.

So the Dahua is really only (radius ^ 2 * pi =) 5.56 megapixel in the circle.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still, running it through a calculator.. even if you got a full 12MP of pixels, 1/2in sensor, with a 1.7mm lens.. 10ft away your already @ 100ppf, and at 25ft your @ 42ppf and completely unable to identify anyone..

and your not getting 12MP, your getting 7MP.. so ugh, toss one outside if you want for $1300.. you could buy a fuck load of fixed cameras for that price envelope that can see farther away than 15ft.

imho these are only good for high density areas indoors, watching isles of product, cubicles of employees, lobbies with alot of activity.. cant think of a single use outside for one of these..

last time I checked 7MP was < 9MP.. and nobody seems to have a 9MP true Fisheye let alone a 12MP true fisheye.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've wanted a fisheye to put outside my house, mounted on a wall to see a full 180 FOV including a lot of sky (because sky is pretty LOL) but years of wanting it hasn't made me buy it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah Ive wanted one too to point straight at the sky just incase a meteor like hit the soviets flies by I can make a cool $100k off youtube rights.. but that hasn't made me buy it either :p

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
I have found another 360 fisheye in the same resolution class, that is also lower cost, but name-brand.. a Pelco.

https://www.pelco.com/search?documentUUID=b5011bf5-f32e-4eeb-9ac7-63ccdc939cee&title=Evolution 12 360 Outdoor Camera Specification Sheet

Pelco 12 MP Evo Outdoor 360 camera, $949
- 9MP square, 3000x3000
- EVO-12NMD - White outdoor IP66, vandal IK10

Outdoor corner mounting (total): $305
- OBE-01-OWA - outdoor pendant adapter, $51
- OBE-04-OWA - Evolution Wall Mount Kit, $99
- OBE-05-OWA - Evolution Corner Wall Mount, $99
- OBE-14-OWA - Sun Shield, $56 (optional if cam has sun exposure)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Government contract?

fyi: Dahua makes visible spectrum cameras for Flir Systems, that name-brand recognition enough for you?