Looking for a camera recommendations

sakau

n3wb
Reaction score
Last year I ran a bunch of cat cable to the corners of my house so I could put cameras up at a later date, and that later date has arrived, at least partially. I am expecting a total of 8-10 cameras by system's end, but am only looking to add 2 or 3 tops at the moment (~$500 total budget).

First location (front of home/driveway)
1.jpg
I have 2 wires run here. What I imagine is one camera looking out over the driveway towards the street/mailbox. Then, a second camera here that looks back towards the garage doors and the back of the house. Other things to consider are there is a growing bush here that could interfere with the line of sight out to the street/mailbox, particularly in a few years if it is mounted on that underhang.

A second location is on the other side of my garage. same side of the house, but the back. I also have 2 wires run here. I was thinking have 1 camera look along the back of the house (there is a stairway leading to a 2nd story screened in porch here) and the other camera looking towards the driveway/front of the house effectively "criss crossing" the view with the second camera from that first location. Here is a view of that: 2.jpg

Some things to note about this second location is there is not that underhang, but I do have a gutter to contend with, So I have 4 total wires dropped on this side of the home but for now, I think I can probably only afford 2 reasonable quality cameras.What two cameras would you start with here and what cameras might you add later?

On the other side of the home, I have 2 wires dropped, one high and one low. Here is that area (I pointed to the high cable because it is hard to see):
3.jpg

For this area, I want a good view of my entire front yard. What camera would you get here and where would you mount it?

I am looking for solid quality cameras that can work with my Blue Iris machine that I have built but am not really yet utilizing. I will want to be able to do things like recognize people and animals and cars and all that jazz but that's all pretty standard at this point. And I plan on using Deepstack/Blue Iris to handle all that.

What I need help is deciding on what specific cameras to use and what type (dome? bullet? mount type? etc)

As mentioned earlier, I envision the whole system to probably be 8-10 cameras at a cost of $1500-$2000. For now, I am just getting my feet wet with 2-3 cameras and about $500. Thanks in advance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
These are the generally accepted goto cameras. They are in the $175ea and up price range, but have the performance, day and night, that you probably want and need. Contact Andy, @EMPIRETECANDY for great pricing and excellent support. He has an Amazon store, Aliexpress store and will ship directly from Hing Kong as well. Delivery time from him in Hing King to the East Coast is generally five to seven days.

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this: Cliff Notes
Key points.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened, so don't mount cams higher than 7-8ft.
That cable appears to be not outdoor rated, if it's not, it won't last long in the sun.
Always test a proposed mounting location first, using a portable test rig: 2x4x8', 5gal bucket, rocks for ballast. Test a minimum of 24hrs in each location, before permanent mounting.
Use this to assist: IPVM Camera Calculator V3