Looking for a decent doorbell camera that works with BI

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a wired camera covering the front porch and I want a doorbell camera so that I can identify the individual(s) and potentially the nametags if they wear them. I would prefer not to have to use mobile app to set up the doorbell camera and it seems most if not all doorbell cameras require mobile app? I'd rather doorbell camera to have built-in web server I can connect directly to configure if needed. The doorbell camera would be powered by 12-16v via doorbell transformer and I wonder if I would be able to use the existing doorbell chime?

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the goto one - they have a POE and wifi version. The only Reolink folks recommend.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already have a wired camera covering the front porch and I want a doorbell camera so that I can identify the individual(s) and potentially the nametags if they wear them. I would prefer not to have to use mobile app to set up the doorbell camera and it seems most if not all doorbell cameras require mobile app? I'd rather doorbell camera to have built-in web server I can connect directly to configure if needed. The doorbell camera would be powered by 12-16v via doorbell transformer and I wonder if I would be able to use the existing doorbell chime?

Thanks.
As packaged it comes with a plug-in, configurable wireless chime that works very well. However, here's a YT video on using your existing chime:

My 2 Reolink Wi-Fi doorbells have been hooked up and streaming to BI since June without a single hiccup...I highly recommend them!

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolink? I've heard negative things about it. I would not be able to run CAT6 to the doorbell location. The doorbell camera would be replacing the existing doorbell button which draws 12-16v from doorbell transformer and I'd use Wi-Fi. Seems like I would have to do custom wiring to make use of the existing doorbell chime?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I said, this is the only Reolink device folks recommend here and they have a wifi version. Stay away from their cameras, but they seem to be the only one making a decent reasonably priced doorbell cam that works. Both work with BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink? I've heard negative things about it. I would not be able to run CAT6 to the doorbell location. The doorbell camera would be replacing the existing doorbell button which draws 12-16v from doorbell transformer and I'd use Wi-Fi.
All covered in my post #3, plus the bottom, linked window. :idk:

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like the idea of using the relay to use an existing chime. I was thinking of something similar with an esp8266 and a relay using home assistant, but this would be independent of home assistant if anything should happen to it.
I think if I did this I would use a bridge rectifier and wire this up all inside the doorbell enclosure so I wouldn't need an external power supply though.

tbh

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolink? I've heard negative things about it. I would not be able to run CAT6 to the doorbell location. The doorbell camera would be replacing the existing doorbell button which draws 12-16v from doorbell transformer and I'd use Wi-Fi. Seems like I would have to do custom wiring to make use of the existing doorbell chime?
A whole 8 bucks on Amazon. Program flawlessly in seconds to the Reolink wifi doorbell. I have 3 of them linked to my Reolink door bell so I can hear it anywhere in the house, even the basement. Was so glad to take down the old chime on the wall.

Attachments

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to @wittaj @TonyR as well as @David L the Reolink doorbell thread has tons of good information. I've placed an order and should get it sometime next week. Also will order wireless relay module and just have to figure out the wiring. I have it wired in the manner my security system captures doorbell events as well as hearing the doorbell chime so will have to figure out with the wireless relay module in the mix. Will post further updates either here or over at Reolink thread. Thanks again!

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To elaborate a bit more on the wiring of the 433mhz receiver...I looked into it a bit and was thinking of taking the 20ish volts AC going to my existing doorbell using a bridge rectifier like this: to change to DC voltage and then to the receiver.
This way all components are hidden neatly away in the existing chime box and no need for an external power supply for the receiver module.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To elaborate a bit more on the wiring of the 433mhz receiver...I looked into it a bit and was thinking of taking the 20ish volts AC going to my existing doorbell using a bridge rectifier like this: to change to DC voltage and then to the receiver.
This way all components are hidden neatly away in the existing chime box and no need for an external power supply for the receiver module.
That's a terrific idea.

Those bridge rectifiers you linked are great in that they can accept push-on lugs, no soldering but as you know the one linked is way overrated (current, PRV, etc.) for your application. This one is a tad smaller physically and spec-wise. Too bad there aren't smaller ones that don't required soldering. The 3 amp KBP307 would be perfect for your application but require soldering or a perfectly spaced terminal block.

KBP307_3amp-fullwave-bridge-rectifier.jpg

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As packaged it comes with a plug-in, configurable wireless chime that works very well. However, here's a YT video on using your existing chime:

My 2 Reolink Wi-Fi doorbells have been hooked up and streaming to BI since June without a single hiccup...I highly recommend them!

Do both of your door bells use the same transformer and two separate chimes? I have 2 non-camera door bells that I’d like to switch out to Reolinks but want to use the two existing chimes which make different tones depending of which doorbell button was pressed. My transformer only has 2 wires connected to it and all the button connections are made inside one of the chimes. So to keep that functionality I would have to put the two wifi relays, one for each door bell, inside that chime. Not sure I can make all that fit.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I installed three Lorex video doorbells on the same 24V/30VA doorbell transformer and connected to my existing mechanical chime with the included chime kit. The third is connected directly to the transformer and not through the existing mechanical chime, so you have to not select a third part chime option during set it or it will blow the surface mount fuse internal to video doorbell, which is not replaceable. Don't ask how I know. :)

IMG_1263.jpeg

if you want to detect when a doorbell is pressed to trigger automatons, e.g. turn on the exterior lights, you can simply add a self powered adjustable AC current sense relay.

IMG_1199.jpeg

Last edited:

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
That is something I was looking for. I didn't want to add another transformer or find a location that has outlet for 12vdc power adapter. Do you have this setup working?

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my opinion, I would avoid using API for doorbell chime due to various reasons - delay, home automation server is unavailable, etc. Though it made me wonder if Reolink doorbell API? I suspect not.
That’s what I like about the current sense relay. Not API or cloud based, so it’s instantaneous.