Looking for a decent doorbell camera that works with BI

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
The current sense relay requires a traditional doorbell transformer and chime.
I guess I need to see wiring diagram to understand how it works. I plan to use existing doorbell transformer which is 24v along with existing mechanical chime. One approach is to use 433mhz relay module mentioned earlier in this thread.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess I need to see wiring diagram to understand how it works. I plan to use existing doorbell transformer which is 24v along with existing mechanical chime. One approach is to use 433mhz relay module mentioned earlier in this thread.
Easy. Put the common transformer wire through the hole in the current sense relay. No physical connection required between the transformer and current sense relay, thus no circuit to design or wire up, and no electrical hazard. Wire up the isolated NO relay output to something that can detect it, e.g. a security panel zone input. Adjust the current threshold until it only triggers when a doorbell is pressed. Works automagically!

Or is the problem the Reolink doorbell does not work with existing chimes?

IMG_2252.jpg

Last edited:

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Easy. Put the common transformer wire through the hole in the current sense relay. No physical connection required between the transformer and current sense relay, thus no circuit to design or wire up, and no electrical hazard. Wire up the isolated NO relay output to something that can detect it, e.g. a security panel zone input. Adjust the current threshold until it only triggers when a doorbell is pressed.

View attachment 181991
I understand that part but it sounds like the current sense relay would not be wired to the mechanical chime and I would need to figure a way though the relay can be wired to security system I/O board.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understand that part but it sounds like the current sense relay would not be wired to the mechanical chime and I would need to figure a way though the relay can be wired to security system I/O board.
Ah so the problem is the Reolink does not work with an existing chime? In that case maybe find one that does. There are plenty that do.

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah so the problem is the Reolink does not work with an existing chime? In that case maybe find one that does. There at plenty that do.
Reolink doorbell comes with a plug-in wireless doorbell chime which I don't want to use and that's where 433mhz relay module comes into play. It seems like the best option at the moment.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is something I was looking for. I didn't want to add another transformer or find a location that has outlet for 12vdc power adapter. Do you have this setup working?
Not working yet as I don't have any of the hardware yet, but it doesn't seem overly complicated. I have done similar projects in the past so my confidence level is high ;). If you look at those amazon listings I posted, the one for the rectifier shows the pinout as far as where to hook AC and DC and the 433mhz receiver is good for 5-60 volts (most are 12 volts) for another $2 so I figured it was worth it just in case the output of my doorbell transformer is too high. I may use the wireless chime in addition, but really want my existing doorbell to work.

This doorbell does work with Home Assistant if you are running it, but this little receiver is less in the things to go wrong category. If I didn't use the 433mhz relay I would use one that interfaces with home assistant anyway probably via a esp8266 or esp32 and esphome.
Not sure how soon I'll get to this (or when all my parts will be delivered), but I'll try to remember to take pictures and document what I'm doing as I go in case it may help someone else out later.

Reaction score
I know the Dahua VTO/VTH villa intercom system might be... older and not as useful to folks out there like what has been already been mentioned...but since Dan brought up Home Assistant, The Dahua VTO is included in the Dahua integration into Home Assistant. From there, can have speakers or like myself a Zooz 8in1 Z-wave siren that goes off like a doorbell sound. Also goes off when laundry is done, HUMAN alert in my driveway....a whole world opens up with home automation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah so the problem is the Reolink does not work with an existing chime? In that case maybe find one that does. There are plenty that do.
IMO, it would be easier to use one of the aforementioned solutions to operate an existing chime with the Reolink than to rule the Reolink out simply for the reason it doesn't come ready to work with an existing chime. The reason? It has too many other positive qualities, a few missing in other doorbells, to get ruled out just for that reason. :cool:

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Got Reolink Doorbell WiFi the other day and earlier today I set it up on my workbench so I can configure it with my WiFi and add it to BI. Everything works as expected. Furthermore, I'm waiting for the wireless relay module to arrive later this week. I found one at Amazon that would work with 12 or 24v AC or DC so that eliminates the need for rectifier mentioned earlier in this thread. Will post further updates.

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
The doorbell camera is installed and the wiring with the wireless relay module is done. Everything works though there's a bit oddity with the mechanical chime. The chime makes sounds kind of twice - the second chime is softer I would say maybe a second apart. That is something I can live with and I'm just glad it works. I am using single 24v transformer to power the entire thing - doorbell camera and relay module as well as the mechanical chime. The wiring is a bit complex since I have ELK 930 doorbell detector that monitors any change in the current.

Relay module I got from Amazon - it will work with either DC or AC.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The doorbell camera is installed and the wiring with the wireless relay module is done. Everything works though there's a bit oddity with the mechanical chime. The chime makes sounds kind of twice - the second chime is softer I would say maybe a second apart. That is something I can live with and I'm just glad it works. I am using single 24v transformer to power the entire thing - doorbell camera and relay module as well as the mechanical chime. The wiring is a bit complex since I have ELK 930 doorbell detector that monitors any change in the current.

Relay module I got from Amazon - it will work with either DC or AC.
Thanks for the reminder. I’ve been meaning to post my update for a week or so now and I keep forgetting. I think I have a solution for your issue with the chime sounding weird but it will take a timing relay that is driven by the output of the 433MHz wireless module.

When the button is pressed on the Reolink wireless DB cam it will hold the 433MHz signal for a few seconds. This causes the old school ding-dong chimes to sound weird because it holds the plunger in too long when it really wants a momentary press and release. I found a topic/pic on Reddit where someone added a one-shot timing relay to cut off the DB signal after just ~10ms of the button being pressed, giving that traditional DING-DONG sound.

In my situation I had an existing DB at the both the front door and side garage door. These were wired to go DING when one DB was pressed and DING DONG when the other was pressed so you know what DB someone was at. Not only that but I had two chimes, one main floor and one in the basement that worked with both DBs. So, I wanted to try and retain all of this functionality with my new Reolink DB cams.

Long story short, with one 2-channel 433MHz relay module and two timing relays, some rewiring of my DB transformer and chimes, and a days worth of troubleshooting and testing, I was SUCCESSFUL! Press one Reolink button and DING press the other and DING DONG at both of my chimes.

GAEYAELE 16A Multifunction Time Relay with 10 Function Choices AC/DC12V-240V Relay(GRT8-M1,AC/DC12V-240V)
DieseRC 2 Channels Wireless Relay Remote Control Switch 433Mhz RF DC 5V 12V 24V 30V 10A Relay Receiver with 2 Transmitters Keyfob, Big Terminal Easy Wiring
IMG_4707.jpeg

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I’ve been meaning to post my update for a week or so now and I keep forgetting. I think I have a solution for your issue with the chime sounding weird but it will take a timing relay that is driven by the output of the 433MHz wireless module.

When the button is pressed on the Reolink wireless DB cam it will hold the 433MHz signal for a few seconds. This causes the old school ding-dong chimes to sound weird because it holds the plunger in too long when it really wants a momentary press and release. I found a topic/pic on Reddit where someone added a one-shot timing relay to cut off the DB signal after just ~10ms of the button being pressed, giving that traditional DING-DONG sound.

In my situation I had an existing DB at the both the front door and side garage door. These were wired to go DING when one DB was pressed and DING DONG when the other was pressed so you know what DB someone was at. Not only that but I had two chimes, one main floor and one in the basement that worked with both DBs. So, I wanted to try and retain all of this functionality with my new Reolink DB cams.

Long story short, with one 2-channel 433MHz relay module and two timing relays, some rewiring of my DB transformer and chimes, and a days worth of troubleshooting and testing, I was SUCCESSFUL! Press one Reolink button and DING press the other and DING DONG at both of my chimes.

GAEYAELE 16A Multifunction Time Relay with 10 Function Choices AC/DC12V-240V Relay(GRT8-M1,AC/DC12V-240V)
DieseRC 2 Channels Wireless Relay Remote Control Switch 433Mhz RF DC 5V 12V 24V 30V 10A Relay Receiver with 2 Transmitters Keyfob, Big Terminal Easy Wiring
Thanks for the information, this is interesting. I have the wireless relay module at the mechanical chime location and I believe this would require additional wire(s) from the basement given the multifunction time relay is fairly large and cannot be concealed at mechanical chime location. My basement is finished so I won't be able to run additional wires.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. I've had Reolink doorbell in operation for at least two weeks or so. I'm still tweaking the camera settings. Yesterday there was overcast sky (mostly white bit gray) which made the background a bit bright and someone came to the door. The individual's face / appearance was dark which made it a bit hard to identify. What settings would alleviate that? It is unfortunate camera doesn't have BLC, HLC and WDR options.

Thanks.

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all. I've had Reolink doorbell in operation for at least two weeks or so. I'm still tweaking the camera settings. Yesterday there was overcast sky (mostly white bit gray) which made the background a bit bright and someone came to the door. The individual's face / appearance was dark which made it a bit hard to identify. What settings would alleviate that? It is unfortunate camera doesn't have BLC, HLC and WDR options.

Thanks.
I had a similar issue but was able to get a better image by adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc. Your adjustment options are very limited.

Els1

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a similar issue but was able to get a better image by adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc. Your adjustment options are very limited.
Mind sharing your settings? I can duplicate yours and make further tweaks from there. Thanks.