Looking for a good basic setup and maybe cyber Monday deal

joe39

n3wb
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I just happened to stumble across this site recently and been doing some research on it and while it seems to be geared toward some higher end products than I was I was thinking of, I thought I would throw this out there anyways. I did read the cliff notes and Dahuna seems to be the camera of choice. I know you get what you pay for but right now I just want a few cameras around my property to notify me if anyone is lurking around while I am not at home. 4-6 cameras should be sufficient but it would be nice to be able to add on to them later. I also would like to spend around $500 and am interested in a kit rather than building my own. I know this is vague and the answer is going to depend one more specific details, but can anyone recommend a kit in this range? Something from Costco would be great in case I decide later it is not the way to go. Just something that isn't total junk and will at least give me the ability to see what is going on around my house, not necessarily to have to zoom in on license plates or anything like that. Thank you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. I think your budget is too small for what many of us would consider very good quality from building your own system anyway. Most of the cameras recommended these days are around $130 each...
http://a.co/d/9XUzLdZ
http://a.co/d/98sHZIu
http://a.co/d/dUvKVm9
http://a.co/d/bqH6rKF

Just four of those would be around $520 without any device to record to, or a PoE switch, or network cables. You could expect to spend at least another $300 on that stuff.

I suggest you pick out some costco kits that look good to you and ask here for more experienced folks to have a look over them to try and determine if they are any good.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

joe39

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for looking. Well, I thought there were more available at Costco but after looking at them again, I see many around $500 with 8 or even more cameras but they are analog. The only IP cameras around that price range is the Q-See for $349 that I saw mentioned in other threads. Is that somewhat ok, or would that be a total waste of money if I decided to upgrade later? I guess $350 is not too much to be out, but then again....ahhhhhh decisions decisions :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'm sure that isn't spectacular quality at night, but probably not a waste of money either. And with costco's return policy you should be able to return them if they do not meet expectations.

If you decided to upgrade in the future at least the cameras seem to be ONVIF-compatible so they should work with most other NVRs (whether hardware devices like the one included in that package) or software (like Blue Iris on a PC). Likewise if the NVR is any good I'd guess you would not have much trouble getting Dahua cameras to work with it.

For all I know, those cameras could be Dahua cameras, just rebranded. I have no way of knowing.

joe39

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking that too at least I could try them out and see how they do. Would you say these would be better than any analog option though?

Well I'm sure that isn't spectacular quality at night, but probably not a waste of money either. And with costco's return policy you should be able to return them if they do not meet expectations.

If you decided to upgrade in the future at least the cameras seem to be ONVIF-compatible so they should work with most other NVRs (whether hardware devices like the one included in that package) or software (like Blue Iris on a PC). Likewise if the NVR is any good I'd guess you would not have much trouble getting Dahua cameras to work with it.

For all I know, those cameras could be Dahua cameras, just rebranded. I have no way of knowing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely better. The only way I would recommend a system using coax cable is if you already had a coax system and wanted to upgrade without running new wires.

joe39

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate it. Maybe I will give it a try. Sounds like I can at least use these cameras with something else later on or add something to it if I need to. Thanks again.