Looking for a IP Camera

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I need the camera to have:
Wireless
Night vision
Preferable login via website
No internet access only internal network access.

Can anyone recommend anything?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wireless cameras are not recommended; you have to provide power to it via a wire.. unless its battery powered its not a wireless camera; so provide data over that wire.

Streaming HD video over wireless is a poor experience for most people..

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I found Foscam FI9816P which has builtin firewall so I can set it to only allow local IPs to connect to it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found Foscam FI9816P which has builtin firewall so I can set it to only allow local IPs to connect to it.
Foscam is garbage...it has no built on firewall...you don't need a firewall in the camera if it's not exposed to the net..

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Foscam is garbage...it has no built on firewall...you don't need a firewall in the camera if it's not exposed to the net..
What do you guys recommend? I think a internal one would be a waste now. I think 1 in the front and 1 in the garden might be good.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua... If you need remote access start learning about VPN Servers and how to run one.

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua... If you need remote access start learning about VPN Servers and how to run one.
I just want a camera system without internet access and only accessible via local network only. It will only be for the front of the house and garden.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just want a camera system without internet access and only accessible via local network only. It will only be for the front of the house and garden.
any camera can be set to only have local access...

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If wireless is a must u can use ubiquiti antennas.can be had for $100 for two.i been using antennas connected to two dahua cams in driveway and it's been pretty good.1 cam has sd card and the other just has trip wire enabled in settings.antenna 1 is 100feet away from antenna 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
any camera can be set to only have local access...
I bought one and there was no option for it. Which is why I am asking. I saw the Foscam had a firewall with "These IPs only option" which would help. But I am open to having a wired camera system.
I was looking at a full camera setup with a base that records etc. Not sure whats good or not at the moment.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought one and there was no option for it. Which is why I am asking. I saw the Foscam had a firewall with "These IPs only option" which would help. But I am open to having a wired camera system.
I was looking at a full camera setup with a base that records etc. Not sure whats good or not at the moment.
Read the advice above again. They are giving you great advice and you keep changing directions. Foscam is the equivalent of junk.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me try one last time. FOSCAM has NO firewall in the camera, NONE. OK. Limiting ip addresses is useless. Foscam has in the past allowed p2p connections despite it being turned off.
Buy a reliable brand, like dahua, DISABLE all upnp/p2p options and dont forward the damn ports and the camera will not be accessed from the outside.

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
Read the advice above again. They are giving you great advice and you keep changing directions. Foscam is the equivalent of junk.
I read more about these cheap IP Cams. Which is why I changed my mind.

Let me try one last time. FOSCAM has NO firewall in the camera, NONE. OK. Limiting ip addresses is useless. Foscam has in the past allowed p2p connections despite it being turned off.
Buy a reliable brand, like dahua, DISABLE all upnp/p2p options and dont forward the damn ports and the camera will not be accessed from the outside.
This is what I read about these cheap IP Cams. Resetting to default and bugs in the code where people can still access it without the password from outside your network even if you set it not to.
This is the reason why I thought better pay bit more and go for a full security system with no internet access.

I assumed FOSCAM were okay since it has a sub-forum in thew UP Cameras forum. I can Dahua are there, what about Hikvision? I notice it's a very good sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

IP_Cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have done a bit of reading about these indoor IP Camera.

The one I had requires internet connection as the phone app connects to the internet to connect to the camera even on the local network. Which is stupid.

I have decided to go for a proper security system. I am looking at a NVR system (does not need a HDD) and 2 cameras. It will be looking at the front door and the garden. I am not sure if any NVR system allows you to record to a network location?
It looks like Hikvision and Dahua are popular on these forums. Anyone got any recommendations?