Looking for a suggestion for The BEST nighttime face detail camera.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendation on the best camera so far for ultimate details of face. This camera purpose will be nothing but capturing facial details for night. My all other cameras can pickup face at day with no issue. But night it struggles since I have a very very low light situation.

So I want to may be put couple of camera just for that purpose :D Looking for some suggestions.. Now I know color vu wil be an option it does produce light ... Though I wannna see if there is one without light if not I am open for with light as well..

Another thing .. Have anyone think about if someone does do an IR hat does smart IR is smart enough to block that source and still capture face details ? That be nice to add as a feature specially for cameras with so called AI Functions :D

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now I know color vu wil be an option it does produce light ...
The ColorVu uses the new 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor and bright LED lights (instead of IR). If you don't like the bright LED lights part, there are many other camera models (like Dahua's 5442 "Pro AI" series) that use the same 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor but have traditional IR emitters instead of the LED.

Until recently, minimum illumination specs looked like this for Dahua:
0.002 lux -- more expensive "Ultra" Starlight models (2MP 1/1.9" image sensor)
0.006 lux -- less expensive "Pro" Starlight models (2MP 1/2.8" image sensor)

So if you wanted to buy a more expensive camera that did better in low-light, you could get an Ultra model like the 8232.

Now that the 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor is out, it looks like this (at least for Dahua):
0.001 lux -- more expensive "Ultra AI" Starlight+ models (4MP 1/1.8" image sensor)
0.002 lux -- less expensive "Pro AI" Starlight+ models (2MP 1/2..8" image sensor)

So now if you buy the more expensive camera, it's nowhere near as big of a jump in terms of low-light performance (at least based on specs) IMO.

The problem with low light image blur (which is what it sounds like you're experiencing) is usually helped by increasing the shutter speed in the camera settings. The side effect is that a faster shutter speed makes the entire image darker, so you need to add more light to the scene to help with that.

I don't think there's a magical camera that's guaranteed to give you what you're looking for in a "very very low light situation". The new models with the 4MP 1/1.8" image sensors should do better than the models using the 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor, but they're still likely to need some tweaking (and possibly more light) in really really dark situations. IMO.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, I think I need some sort of laser IR which I can focous.. on one area Does anyone know any laser IR which I can aim at the area ... and adjust the beam.. Also it has to be really bright one even might get two or three..

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree, I think I need some sort of laser IR which I can focous.. on one area Does anyone know any laser IR which I can aim at the area ... and adjust the beam.. Also it has to be really bright one even might get two or three..
Oddly, I was just reading a thread with something similar. This is a 5 page thread IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus
This 2 page thread may be interesting also. IR Illuminators in 2019
Good Luck

Reaction score
The IR Cannon item is quite good. It's been interesting to watch the price rise and fall repeatedly on AliExpress over the last two years. ;)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you, Everyone just added a Big IR flood light tonight and have temp secured it for now.. But will permanently mount it later.. Wanna test before I drill any holes :D It is okay not enough I still feel but Again better thank you for this recommendation. I kinda had one before But added another one now..IMG_7774.jpg

Wanna add another one maybe possibly a Focus one.. Does anyone know a good one which I can kinda focous on an area ?