Looking for a truly wireless camera

_aps

n3wb
Reaction score
I don’t know if you remember those Axis cameras of long ago. They had an HTTP server (and, maybe an FTP server in them).

I am looking for a similar video camera . I’d like to place one or two around so that I can connect to them from my computer.

I don’t want to have to have a special app on my phone or go through a cloud service. My ideal camera would be solar powered, WiFi enabled, and have a web or streaming video server in it. Something that is essentially stand-alone.

I did find a little d-link camera but it wasn’t solar powered (at least the one I found was not).

I’ve searched and can’t seem to find one…

Thoughts? Or hints?

Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t want to have to have a special app on my phone or go through a cloud service. My ideal camera would be solar powered, WiFi enabled, and have a web or streaming video server in it. Something that is essentially stand-alone.

I’ve searched and can’t seem to find one…
If your'e wanting a plug and play, out-of-the-box solution, they should be in the store located somewhere near the unicorns and the leprechauns. :highfive:

I couldn't resist. Seriously, though....welcome to IPCT and if you spend some time in the forum and reading the Wiki and Cliff Notes, you'll soon discover such technology, although it exists, it's just not dependable and viable as is.

Take just one requirement...wireless... it can be undependable when NOT solar powered. When the transmit power and receive sensitivity is lowered to allow reasonable battery life it becomes less dependable. And the solar recharge ability will be especially deficient in your location, the not-always-so-sunny Seattle.

I'm not saying it's not doable but in order for it to offer some practicality and usefulness, you'd most likely have to build it yourself...and it will be big, bulky, and expensive.

Here's a thread from last month using the "search" tool (magnifying glass upper right corner of your screen):
Solar powered wifi IP Camera

_aps

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi GWMinor48.

So, do let me know which isle in the store I might also find the unicorns; no interest in the leprechauns.

Seriously, you are probably right. However, I've seen these other WiFi cameras, battery operated. But, you may be right. Regardless, thank you for the response and the welcome to the site.

I will check out the references.

aps

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This sort of setup will be far better than any store bought wireless solution.
There is more videos to this person's build.

This build looks to consist of:
  • solar panel
  • charge controller
  • Battery
  • 12v to PoE adaptors
  • Wireless AP
  • IP camera.

It might save power to use the 12v on the camera than a 12v to PoE adaptor. Similarly if you can find a 12v wireless AP.

There is a thread on here of someones build, I think that also had a 4G modem.
Most cameras SD cards will be enough. Mobotix has their own sales pitch that their cameras are all in one. Reality is most IP cameras (like Dahua and Hikvision) have capabilities to upload to a NAS using FTP.

If all this is too expensive then it looks like the fairyland unicorn isle is right for you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi GWMinor48.

So, do let me know which isle in the store I might also find the unicorns; no interest in the leprechauns.

Seriously, you are probably right. However, I've seen these other WiFi cameras, battery operated. But, you may be right. Regardless, thank you for the response and the welcome to the site.

I will check out the references.

aps
They're on the same aisle as honest politicians and underpaid pro athletes.

You're welcome and FWIW, this is @TonyR

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They're on the same aisle as honest politicians and underpaid pro athletes.

You're welcome and FWIW, this is @TonyR
I know you're trying to be funny but cut some slack now that they are checking the references.
We hope the resources are easily understood and convening. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know you're trying to be funny but cut some slack now that they are checking the references.
So after a year you're now the self appointed forum monitor ? Not that I owe you any explanation, it was my way of gently informing him that he replied to the wrong member.

Furthermore, there's enough conflict and sadness these days, a little general, non-personal humor can be therapeutic..

Lastly, if you don't care for my replies and posts then don't read them...it's really that simple. :blankstare:

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So after a year you're now the self appointed forum monitor ?
There's enough conflict and sadness these days, a little general, non-personal humor can be therapeutic, mate.

If you don't like my replies and posts then don't read them...it's really that simple.
I feel you. Maybe it might be that I read with monotone or that it's an extra piece of clutter subtracting from the thread intent.
and completely true; There's not much point in me reading these posts or posting myself; not much point in me bothering with cameras; not much point with me bothering about life...

Some humour is nice. Continue on posting more replies if you desire.