Looking for a WIFI Camera

Reaction score
Looking for a WIFI video camera to watch my fellas while I'm on vacation. Hate leaving them home. Usually bring the old guy Prince (15) with us but my ma in law is going and she thinks she's allergic to cats.

I know nothing about video cameras, I've researched high and low and I'm sort of burned out to the point where I almost don't want one. Seems as if you have to spend high dollar to get something that actually works. It also seems as if these things need another 30 years to be perfected. But here I am, nevertheless, turning to you, my internet friends and experts to point me in the right direction if you have any experience with these.

I don't care about motion detection, recording or any thing else but picking up my phone and checking in on them live and being able to shout at them through my phone to wake them up for a periodic "death check."

I've been looking at this one. I have a simplisafe wireless alarm system which I love, and they offer a camera now, but it doesn't do 2 way voice. The need to talk to my cats is required :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-logi-circle-wireless-hd-video-security-camera-with-2-way-talk-black/4500201.p?skuId=4500201

And since this is a cat thread sort of, here's some cat content. They got too cold the other day from us blasting the AC downstairs, so they went upstairs to heat up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If all you want to do is monitor cats then the circle is a good option...if you plan on adding more cams or to use it for surveillance then no. The hikvision while a great camera will be a pain to secure for remote viewing and not ideal for you.

Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much it. I have other stuff to prevent theft, such as floors that drop into a cavern of punji sticks. Cinderblocks that fall out of trap doors in the ceiling. 220V charged door knobs, etc...... LOL

I would like a tilt and pan camera, but to me, all these cameras need another 100 years to perfect. None of these seem like they are ready for prime time.

Reaction score
The Foscam R2 is a consideration, if pan/tilt is a must. They're about $80 from amazon, and provide 1080p resolution. My personal opinion is that pan/tilt isn't really necessary, if you have sufficient field and depth of vision. Foscam quality control isn't always that good, and problems are more frequent than with Hikvision. The Hikvision is just going to be more reliable, and actually less expensive.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much it. I have other stuff to prevent theft, such as floors that drop into a cavern of punji sticks. Cinderblocks that fall out of trap doors in the ceiling. 220V charged door knobs, etc...... LOL

I would like a tilt and pan camera, but to me, all these cameras need another 100 years to perfect. None of these seem like they are ready for prime time.
They have perfected them..just not in your price range....as far as cheap pt I would take the amcrest models since they are made by dahua...note that they require network knowledge to properly secure as would the foscam..foscam is garbage though..

Reaction score
Amcrest IPM 721? Is that the model you are referring to? I use Apple time capsules, have 2 in my home. I'm using regular WPA2 Personal right now. Would I have to mess with all the settings in order to properly secure the camera? I'm not a networking engineer, but know my way around a home network. I do some networking for my job on a server level.

Secure SSL & AES Encryption
The Amcrest ProHD camera features secure SSL connections via HTTPS as well as uses AES encryption for wireless devices to comply with modern Wi-Fi standards for encrypted connections. This way you can always be assured that, as you play your footage, you're also playing it safe.