Looking for advice on camera types and locations for property.

Driver05t

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As the title says, I am looking for advice. Attached is a satellite image of my property, along with some measurements.
The 4 red boxes around the house are different entrances not including the garage. The tree directly in-front of the house with the white box around it is a tree that we are probably going to be cutting down this spring.

My goal is to be able to see all around my house along with getting facial recognition at the entrances. Additionally I would like to be able to cover my driveway.
I would like to use the Dahua starlight cameras. I like the idea of having a few auto tracking PTZ's if the cost vs fixed works out. For example If i could put a PTZ in a location that would eliminate the need for 2 or more fixed cameras then that would make sense for me.

Here are my thoughts so far.
Trenching a line to the long part of the driveway and mounting a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 on a pole to cover the length.

I'm looking at these for the entrances and the short driveway spot IPC-HDW5231R-ZE or IPC-HFW5231E-Z5.

Now to cover the of the property, i'm not sure what would be best, a few well placed PTZ's or multiple fixed cameras.

What do you guys think?

FYI there is no streetlights or neighbor lights around.

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Trenching a line to the long part of the driveway and mounting a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 on a pole to cover the length. ---This is good.

I'm looking at these for the entrances and the short driveway spot IPC-HDW5231R-ZE or IPC-HFW5231E-Z5. HDW5231R-ZE is good enough.

Now to cover the of the property, i'm not sure what would be best, a few well placed PTZ's or multiple fixed cameras. For the PTZ can cover a big area, so can use a 30x one,You have a big area. SD59230U-HNI is a good choice.

Driver05t

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think that there would be any issue with the PTZ and all the trees on my property? Additionally is there a big difference between the SD59225U-HNI and SD59230U-HNI other than the zoom?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think that there would be any issue with the PTZ and all the trees on my property? Additionally is there a big difference between the SD59225U-HNI and SD59230U-HNI other than the zoom?
Yes, it will have a big difference. And the PTZ can cover a big area, autotracking you can less the sensitive, this can help ease the mistake autotracking. @looney2ns how do you think ? Seems many trees before the house.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Multiple stationary cams are almost always better than PTZ. There is always a chance that the PTZ will be looking the wrong direction when you need it.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Don't mount ID cams higher than 8ft.
Use this to help choosing locations: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100, tutorial on right.
The only difference between the SD59225U-HNI and SD59230U-HNI is the zoom.
More reading:
Looking for some advice and direction!
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

Driver05t

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I've skimmed through most of those forums already. However, the IPVM Calculator was new to me and a big help. It really helped me narrow down what I needed.