Looking for advice on my install locations.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am always a fan of the varifocal as it allows you to zoom in tighter later if you decide to or to use it somewhere else when you upgrade cameras.

But at the same time, when you have a well thought out system like you have and can get IDENTIFY from other cams, it makes sense to supplement with some fixed cams for a nice wide overview.

Based on your distances, if you were to get one to be able to use for IDENTIFY, you would need the 5442-Z4E for all but D and F and those would be the 5442-ZE

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not discounting any of your advice, I am just getting this all out of my head to also help me work through it better. Sometimes it helps work towards an answer when you can read or hear how stupid what you are saying is...

These are some of the assumptions I am making with my backyard system:

Anyone coming in will enter through the front or back gate or from the screened porch and not by jumping the fence.
The closer they get to the house the more likely they will be in ID territory from other, purposeful camera angles.
My current backyard view is very overview and anything I do will be a huge step in the DORI chain.
Everything will be on IRs as my backyard is very dark and I do not have any current plans to add timed lighting.
Install height is no lower than 12' which decreases the ability to ID.

Are you suggesting bullets for ABCE and turrets for DF? I just want to make sure I am looking up the right model numbers.

I could go 5442E-Z4E for the back gate for a tighter view which would free up current B for use in another varifocal position (A/E). I just don't know if I would need any more than a 5442T-ZE for these other positions, although I could be hindsighted once it's all done. I am fine with DOR on most of the positions overlooking the yard.

A - 5442T-ZE
B - 5442E-Z4E
C - 3.6mm (Unfortunately I think this is between needing a 3.6mm and a 6mm, so I may move for a 5442T-ZE)
D - 6mm
E - 5442T-ZE
F - I am considering going 6mm or varifocal to cover egress from the screened porch/house and adding a G location under the cover with a 3.6mm to overview the deck (or 2.8mm because I have one).

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a big believer on using varifocals as well, even though quite a few of mine are now the 4k color cams. The varifocal, for me, makes things so much easier being able to zoom in/out when/if needed. I've pretty much kept mine at one setting once I get it dialed in where I want it, but it's really nice to be able to change zoom if changing the angle/etc.. or if deciding I don't like this placement and want to put in another spot.

If Dahua ever comes out with a varifocal 4k color with 1.2" sensor, I'd probably upgrade a lot of my cameras.. lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would go for IDENTIFY at the back gate.

I think you have enough coverage with existing and proposed cams that you could get by with some fixed cams, but at the least I would say purchase a mixture so that you have the ability to swap out with a varifocal or zoom in a varifocal if you decide as you see how the system performs that you want more zoom.

Almost every one of my varifocals over time has gone to full zoom or close to it as I learn limitations in the previous setup.

The 4K/X and T have been great overview additions that have allowed me to zoom in my existing varifocals as well.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I would go for IDENTIFY at the back gate.

I think you have enough coverage with existing and proposed cams that you could get by with some fixed cams, but at the least I would say purchase a mixture so that you have the ability to swap out with a varifocal or zoom in a varifocal if you decide as you see how the system performs that you want more zoom.

Almost every one of my varifocals over time has gone to full zoom or close to it as I learn limitations in the previous setup.

The 4K/X and T have been great overview additions that have allowed me to zoom in my existing varifocals as well.
I feel if I am even considering a 6mm for a location then I might as well go with a varifocal.

I think I may go varifocal turrets at all locations, maybe opt for one 3.6mm, and a 8mm-32mm varifocal bullet covering the gate.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I am putting together my list to purchase this weekend and am looking for suggestions on focal length. Obviously Varifocal would be best everywhere so I can dial in the best view, but do I need to narrow the scope that much for all locations? Would some of them be fine with a 3.6mm for DOR and rely on the purpose placed cameras for ID? I obviously don't want to buy and want something else, but the additional $25 per camera would be nice to be able to put towards other cameras...

Back gate entry will be covered with purpose.
Steps onto the deck will be covered with purpose.
Entry into the screened porch is covered with purpose.
Front gate entry is covered with purpose.

Does the idea of FOV change with A/E because they are looking inwards across each other? should I consider a 6mm over the 3.6mm because of this?

A - 3.6mm or Varifocal?
Distances: 45' to fence
Height: 12'

B - Existing Varifocal from 6
Distances: 60' to gate
Height: 12' minimum

C - 3.6mm or Varifocal?
Distances: 36' to fence
Height: 12' above grade, 10' above deck

D - 6mm or Varifocal?
Distances: 20' to deck stairs
Height: 10' above deck

E - 3.6mm or Varifocal?
Distances: 52' to fence
Height: 12'

F - 3.6mm?
Distances: 22' to screen door
Height: 10' above deck
If the cameras take M12 lenses, you can swap out the lenses fairly easily. I've done it and have a thread somewhere about putting a 25mm lens in a lower-end 2431 turret.

You could, possibly, buy one varifocal to use to determine the desired focal length for each camera and then buy the lenses. We're talking like $5/lens.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If the cameras take M12 lenses, you can swap out the lenses fairly easily. I've done it and have a thread somewhere about putting a 25mm lens in a lower-end 2431 turret.

You could, possibly, buy one varifocal to use to determine the desired focal length for each camera and then buy the lenses. We're talking like $5/lens.
I realize I would be limited to the 12mm max of the varifocal, but for the extra $20 I would be inclined to just go with the varifocal and not have the additional work.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I have decided to go with the 8mm-32mm 5442E-Z4E bullet to cover the gate. (B) I could possibly even leave it in its current position on the 2nd floor soffit before committing to it on the back gable of the new roof. The lens calculator doesn't show much difference in face angle from that distance and height vs being lower and closer. 32mm from that position will be a vast improvement over my current 12mm.

5442T-ZE varifocal for all of the other locations (ADEFG)
5442 3.6mm for C
5442 2.8mm for G (under cover, deck overview).

If the 3.6mm doesn't prove to be sufficient I will swap with a 5442T-ZE.
If the 2.8mm doesn't prove to be sufficient I can swap the 3.6mm from C over and replace that with a 5442T-ZE.

I think this is the best plan to buy as much and as little at the same time as is reasonable.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras above have been ordered and I might go ahead and provision them this evening to have them ready to be installed once the deck is all done.

I posted this in another thread, but I also wanted to update here in the Installs section.

I just got my SD4A425DB-HNY from Andy's sale and have been messing with it and spotter cams.

After reviewing the footage (and why she was missed on the approach) I may need to adjust my preset and spotter cam motion zones a bit for this view. Regardless, adding a PTZ is going to be a nice addition and now has me thinking again about the coverage on the front of the house. Although, I may end up adding more cams to act as spotters, unfortunately. I may update these thoughts here soon.

For size reference, here it is on my second floor soffit. There is a fixed 5442 on the first floor and a 4K-X behind the flood light.
1679685946153.png

This is from across the street and 3 houses down. 2x zoom, I believe. This is the house on the corner that the girls turns by when the PTZ loses her.
1679686013720.png

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I took the opportunity with the nice weather to swap out my 5442T-ZE for the 5442E-Z4E. This is mounted in the same location as the previous camera, but I do still have the option to mount it on the back of the deck cover when that is finished. I just wanted to take the time now to try it out before it became much harder to get to this location and get some opinions.

I will be able to move it later, but thoughts on the shots below? Both are zoomed all of the way. Once the deck is done I have the ability to drop it 8-12' and get it 20' closer to the gate.

Old view:
Back_Yard, North 2023-03-25 06.47.33.400 PM.jpg

New view:
Back_Gate 2023-03-26 01.36.15.618 PM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good and will be even better once you finish out the back and can move it closer!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks good and will be even better once you finish out the back and can move it closer!
So you're saying I should move it closer... :rofl:

It's more doable now than it would have been before I installed this camera and relocated the IR emitter. I just won't have direct ladder access, but I can make it happen.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am a big fan of getting the object as large as possible. I would consider the gate opening the pinch point and anything outside of that is wasted pixels.

The big test will be tonight - can you get as clean of a face capture? If you can then go for it, but I suspect that will drive you to wanting it closer to get better facial features.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea, I agree. I was just hoping to use the ethernet run that was already there and be done. Also with it being a bullet I wanted it up and out of the way.

Ultimately I will have IR emitters off of the deck, so lighting tonight won't be exactly the same as going forward.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am a big fan of getting the object as large as possible. I would consider the gate opening the pinch point and anything outside of that is wasted pixels.

The big test will be tonight - can you get as clean of a face capture? If you can then go for it, but I suspect that will drive you to wanting it closer to get better facial features.
It is definitely way better than the 12mm zoom on the T-ZE, but there isn't enough light back there to pick up all of the features. Obviously I need to wait until I can move it, but I will look again once the IR emitters are up back there.

kenzi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Ri22o
I cant get my Preset2 to auto tracking human or vehicle ! spotter cam se aktions an my SD4A425DB-HNY move to Preset2, but there is no auto track ? I am on nvr
are you on nvr or blue Iris ?
any setup I can se ?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Ri22o
I cant get my Preset2 to auto tracking human or vehicle ! spotter cam se aktions an my SD4A425DB-HNY move to Preset2, but there is no auto track ? I am on nvr
are you on nvr or blue Iris ?
any setup I can se ?
I am on BI, but it should be the same as I did it in the GUI.

You will need to give it a reason to track for each preset, which means setting up a trip wire or other IVS rule. At the screen before this one, click + to add another preset to set rules for.

1680025550294.png
1680025609856.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Any recommendations for this side of my house? I like the new placement but the brighter half of the FOV causes exposure to be lowered which makes the shadow worse. BLC, maybe?

View attachment 156857

View attachment 156858
While lowering the contrast number isn't going to "fix" the high contrast between light and dark, turning it up isn't helping either.