Looking for advice on security system/cameras

Erics512

n3wb
Reaction score
I have ADT pulse with wireless door and window sensors. The system is not under a contract. I also have 8 wireless cameras that ADT installed. Oc810-adt.

Do they make a hub almost like the lowes iris one that I can install and use it to monitor the cameras and wireless devices? I would like to be able to view it remotely. I don't want to use ADT. And I don't want to remove all the devices I have that work fine, do I have any options? I would also like to add thermostats and light switches in the future too.

Any help is great.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have ADT pulse with wireless door and window sensors. The system is not under a contract. I also have 8 wireless cameras that ADT installed. Oc810-adt.

Do they make a hub almost like the lowes iris one that I can install and use it to monitor the cameras and wireless devices? I would like to be able to view it remotely. I don't want to use ADT. And I don't want to remove all the devices I have that work fine, do I have any options? I would also like to add thermostats and light switches in the future too.

Any help is great.
Does the ADT system use zwave or what, if it's proprietary you might be out of luck

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe it has zwave. Is there a way to determine this? And if it has zwave do I have options?
since zwave is the most common home automation wireless protocol I'd say you'd have quite a few options, if you have the model number of the system you should be able to google for the info.

Reaction score

Any help is great.
Whats the model number of the ADT pulse system you have? Chances are its probably a modified Honeywell system. If that's the case you would have to replace the Pulse system with a system that accepts Honeywell's 5800 series wireless devices if you want to reuse your wireless window/door sensors. The Honeywell Vista 20p, Lynx touch and Lyric controller are all compatible with those sensors.

Do you have any wireless smoke or CO detectors on the system?

Erics512

n3wb
Reaction score
Whats the model number of the ADT pulse system you have? Chances are its probably a modified Honeywell system. If that's the case you would have to replace the Pulse system with a system that accepts Honeywell's 5800 series wireless devices if you want to reuse your wireless window/door sensors. The Honeywell Vista 20p, Lynx touch and Lyric controller are all compatible with those sensors.

Do you have any wireless smoke or CO detectors on the system?

This is the smoke/co detector
IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2595.JPG

Reaction score
Are you trying to self monitor (receive text/email alerts upon an alarm, trouble etc) or do you still want to use central station monitoring? I'm not a fan of DSC but they make good systems. You're going to have to use a DSC system if you want to use those wireless sensors. You're best bet is a DSC Power 1832 or 1864 with a wireless receiver. If you want interactive features without a monthly cost you'll also have to purchase the Envisalink 4 module.

Erics512

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you trying to self monitor (receive text/email alerts upon an alarm, trouble etc) or do you still want to use central station monitoring? I'm not a fan of DSC but they make good systems. You're going to have to use a DSC system if you want to use those wireless sensors. You're best bet is a DSC Power 1832 or 1864 with a wireless receiver. If you want interactive features without a monthly cost you'll also have to purchase the Envisalink 4 module.
I would like to self monitor myself. It is not connected to a central station now and won't ever be. I also have cameras through art that I would like to view in my tablet or iPhone remotely.

Reaction score
Than you want the powerseries 1832 or 1864 with the envisalink 4 module. Those cameras are junk. You should try and sell them and go with better cameras such as Dahua or Hikvision. Don't use wireless cameras. Keep the cameras and security system separate.

Erics512

n3wb
Reaction score
Than you want the powerseries 1832 or 1864 with the envisalink 4 module. Those cameras are junk. You should try and sell them and go with better cameras such as Dahua or Hikvision. Don't use wireless cameras. Keep the cameras and security system separate.
With the powerseries you mentioned I would be able to connect to the alarm system devices and monitor through my phone without having to use the art pulse? Is there a link or directions for this. Or is it pretty self explanatory? I appreciate all your information.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Any help is great.
Junk may not be a strong enough description for those cameras, think webcam from 1998. IIRC they're 640x480 resolution at best. Sell them to some other sucker if you can. I think the newer "HD" ones are only 720p, not sure.

Your current alarm is a DSC Impassa system model SCW9057 (it's in your photo but hard to read). These self contained alarms generally lack the communication bus that would allow you to connect something like an EVL-4. I noticed some entertaining typos in some of the material DSC publishes about the impassa.

If you want to automate lights, thermostat, and such leave your alarm system out of it and use something like Samsung Smart Things or Vera. Use zwave as your primary protocol. Some thermostats like ecobee and nest connect directly to the internet.

If you want to use your existing wireless door sensors, motion detectors, smokes, keyfobs you'd need a DSC alarm system. If you want any integration with an automation system like smartthings or vera you'd want something like the PC1832. Depending on how many sensors you have you may want to consider simply replacing some with zwave sensors or an entirely different alarm system, though the result will be less like a classic alarm system.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Junk may not be a strong enough description for those cameras, think webcam from 1998. IIRC they're 640x480 resolution at best. Sell them to some other sucker if you can. I think the newer "HD" ones are only 720p, not sure.

Your current alarm is a DSC Impassa system model SCW9057 (it's in your photo but hard to read). These self contained alarms generally lack the communication bus that would allow you to connect something like an EVL-4. I noticed some entertaining typos in some of the material DSC publishes about the impassa.

If you want to automate lights, thermostat, and such leave your alarm system out of it and use something like Samsung Smart Things or Vera. Use zwave as your primary protocol. Some thermostats like ecobee and nest connect directly to the internet.

If you want to use your existing wireless door sensors, motion detectors, smokes, keyfobs you'd need a DSC alarm system. If you want any integration with an automation system like smartthings or vera you'd want something like the PC1832. Depending on how many sensors you have you may want to consider simply replacing some with zwave sensors or an entirely different alarm system, though the result will be less like a classic alarm system.
"classic", aka old, in my humble opinion, get with the future lol. Also if cams are all wireless I'm not surprised the res sucks.

Reaction score
Z-wave is not the future of alarms or security. Hardwired systems will always be better than wireless. I don't care what kind of marketing spin they put on it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never had one fail, that's like blaming wireless for badly designed installs

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Z-wave is not the future of alarms or security. Hardwired systems will always be better than wireless. I don't care what kind of marketing spin they put on it.
I agree, but it might be good enough for somebody who just wants to self monitor and doesn't seem that tech savvy and may struggle installing anything.

I wish Honeywell had a panel more equivalent to the DSC Neo series.

Erics512

n3wb
Reaction score

I would like to reuse my old wireless sensors and keypads. How can I connect to the ADT pulse with the PC 1832 ? I googled a image of it and it looks just like a regular circuitboard. Also how would I go about programming the zones into this. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
I agree, but it might be good enough for somebody who just wants to self monitor and doesn't seem that tech savvy and may struggle installing anything.

I wish Honeywell had a panel more equivalent to the DSC Neo series.
They would if if they would just upgrade the vista 20p to support the SiX series sensors.

I would like to reuse my old wireless sensors and keypads. How can I connect to the ADT pulse with the PC 1832 ? I googled a image of it and it looks just like a regular circuitboard. Also how would I go about programming the zones into this. Thank you for your help.
Forget about ADT pulse. ADT is out of the picture. The Envisalink 4 will allow to you receive text/email alerts and will allow remote control.

I'm not familiar DSC programming since I don't use their panels, however there might be someone else on here that can assist you. If not, check out DIY Home Security Systems. Alarm system technical help - Index . That forum use to be a lot more active, but there are still a few knowledgeable members on there

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your all-in-one impassa system is the main "keypad". Did you have other wireless keypads in other locations? You may be able to reuse them, but I prefer hard wired keypads.

The basic panel is a circuit board, generally it will come with a metal cabinet. A transformer, battery, and wired keypad are required. You often see bundles that include all of the above. To use wireless sensors a wireless receiver is required this can be installed in the panel or is built into some keypads.

I'd expect you to find the installation process difficult. I think you've got a steep learning curve ahead. How many sensors do you have currently?

I don't install alarms regularly, meddling with them is just a hobby. For DSC panels their DLS5 software is by far the nicest way to program them. Forget about your ADT Pulse garbage and sell what you can on ebay.