Looking for Advice on Which NVR to Choose

Ractoon

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently working on setting up a small home camera system that's wired and i'm looking for advice on which of these NVRs would best suit my needs / best value, and any feedback on them.

Amcrest NV4116E PoE NVR 16 CH
( https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-NV4116E-1080p-Network-Recorder/dp/B07478C3CJ/ )

WGCC POE NVR 12MP 8CH
( https://www.amazon.com/WGCC-Recorder-Resolution-Supports-HIKVISION/dp/B078N6M2WW )

(Open to other NVR suggestions as well)
--
The main features i'd be needing is
Live Feed
Motion Detection Recording
Remote Viewing Support
Playback Support
Support for at least 4 IP Cams
Local HDD Storage
--

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on setting up a small home camera system that's wired and i'm looking for advice on which of these NVRs would best suit my needs / best value, and any feedback on them.
The choice of NVR should be guided by the brand of camera you will be using.
These are the core of the system, after all.
Whilst it's possible to 'mix and match' camera and NVR brands, there is always some loss of potential functionality, or more serious compatibility problems.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently working on setting up a small home camera system that's wired and i'm looking for advice on which of these NVRs would best suit my needs / best value, and any feedback on them...

(Open to other NVR suggestions as well)
--
The main features i'd be needing is
Live Feed
Motion Detection Recording
Remote Viewing Support
Playback Support
Support for at least 4 IP Cams
Local HDD Storage
--

Thanks.
Welcome Ractoon,

Definitely heed @alastairstevenson advice.

If you decide to go with Dahua OEM cameras, you can compare your options with the Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( this is the one many of us picked up ) and also a used windows i5/i7 PC w/Blue Iris and and PoE switch.

With both the NVR listed and Blue Iris there are more advanced features you can use to help with sending you alerts.

An advantage of Blue Iris is it works well with multiple brands of cameras.

Remember to check out the notes:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Ractoon

n3wb
Reaction score
The choice of NVR should be guided by the brand of camera you will be using.
These are the core of the system, after all.
Whilst it's possible to 'mix and match' camera and NVR brands, there is always some loss of potential functionality, or more serious compatibility problems.
Ah, Gotcha. I was hoping ONVIF would be a way around this, but after doing some more research on it it seems quite buggy, so ill try to base my decision around the cameras instead.

Welcome Ractoon,

Definitely heed @alastairstevenson advice.

If you decide to go with Dahua OEM cameras, you can compare your options with the Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( this is the one many of us picked up ) and also a used windows i5/i7 PC w/Blue Iris and and PoE switch.

With both the NVR listed and Blue Iris there are more advanced features you can use to help with sending you alerts.

An advantage of Blue Iris is it works well with multiple brands of cameras.

Remember to check out the notes:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk
The Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 looks like it would be perfect, but i cant seem to find any US vendors that carry that model, Is there any recommended sites for purchasing OEM CCTV NVRs / Cameras?

I'm currently using an i7 with specs that should be more than enough for BI, but its my main system atm and wont be able to re-purpose it until later this year/mid next year, so i figured the NVR would probably be cheaper overall and give me the option of moving the NVR to another office site if/when i do swap to BI .

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, Gotcha. I was hoping ONVIF would be a way around this, but after doing some more research on it it seems quite buggy, so ill try to base my decision around the cameras instead.

The Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 looks like it would be perfect, but i cant seem to find any US vendors that carry that model, Is there any recommended sites for purchasing OEM CCTV NVRs / Cameras?

I'm currently using an i7 with specs that should be more than enough for BI, but its my main system atm and wont be able to re-purpose it until later this year/mid next year, so i figured the NVR would probably be cheaper overall and give me the option of moving the NVR to another office site if/when i do swap to BI .
You can get it here: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Or email: kingsecurity2014@163.com
he's a Member of this forum @EMPIRETECANDY has that store, and he will take care of you.
Many of us have purchased from him.

Ractoon

n3wb
Reaction score
You can get it here: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Or email: kingsecurity2014@163.com
he's a Member of this forum @EMPIRETECANDY has that store, and he will take care of you.
Many of us have purchased from him.
Awesome, Thanks!

I think i'll go with NVR5216-4KS2 V2 (Is this the newer one with smart fan ect which was mentioned in the NVR5216 Thread?)

From checking around the forums it seems the starlight cams are the way to go so i plan to use

2x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP Mounted near Front Door and Backdoor/Garage
1x IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 For Backyard/Pool Area (Or Possibly swap to something with a wide-angle + higher MP to see further away)
And then add more cams as needed.

And for the other parts
NVR5216-4KS2 V2

Netgear POE Smart Switch (Might swap this to an unmanaged switch since it seems the NVR can handle most the settings this provides)
WD 2TB Purple HDD

Also one other question, I plan to use a router for VPN to the cameras/apps and was wondering if hooking up a spare VPN configured router in between the POE Switch and Main Router would create a secure solution instead of having to use VPN on the Main Router?
Thanks.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome, Thanks!

I think i'll go with NVR5216-4KS2 V2 (Is this the newer one with smart fan ect which was mentioned in the NVR5216 Thread?)

From checking around the forums it seems the starlight cams are the way to go so i plan to use

2x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP Mounted near Front Door and Backdoor/Garage
1x IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 For Backyard/Pool Area (Or Possibly swap to something with a wide-angle + higher MP to see further away)
And then add more cams as needed.

And for the other parts
NVR5216-4KS2 V2

Netgear POE Smart Switch (Might swap this to an unmanaged switch since it seems the NVR can handle most the settings this provides)
WD 2TB Purple HDD

Also one other question, I plan to use a router for VPN to the cameras/apps and was wondering if hooking up a spare VPN configured router in between the POE Switch and Main Router would create a secure solution instead of having to use VPN on the Main Router?
Thanks.

Now what we use all V2 now, V1 already stopped production last month. All has stock now.

korin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last edited: