Looking for advice

Thadues618

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found this forum a couple of days ago after purchasing my Reolink which I will now be returning. My new plan will be using Dahua cameras with a blue iris computer set-up. I plan on covering the whole outside with cameras eventually but I want to focus on one area at a time. My first area is going to be the front of the house. I am not sure even what areas should be my concerns but I am going to take my best guesses.

1. Front door and packages

2. Those windows on the left side.

3. Porch?

4. Yard and cars on street?

I'm not too concerned with the windows on the right because they are to the garage and have shelves in front of them. Hopefully after I figure out which locations I need and which camera for those locations I will find a way to get the cable there.

Ted

Attachments

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Ted,

Sounds like you're already off to a good start by returning the Reolink kit.

Remember to check out the various notes we have here:
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Here's some of my notes from else where worth reviewing while deciding what is important in a security camera system:

Common mistakes:
  • Too few cameras installed. Plan for at least 6-8 cameras. Have 2+ cameras covering the approach to and including the front door area.
  • Cameras mounted too high. Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential ID purposes.
  • Poor quality, resolution, and wide angle cameras resulting in short ID distances.
  • Over estimating the quality of motion detection and video snap shots and thus no recording full time ( 24/7 )
  • Over estimating the reliability of wire free and wifi cameras, as well as cloud connectivity.
  • Placing cameras indoors behind windows looking out. Window glass typically will reflect IR signals, thus rendering PIR motion detection and IR base night vision nearly useless.
  • Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues as well as over the long term direct UV exposure will decay the plastic dome. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are often better options.
  • Over valuing MP / Megapixels comparing systems. There is a lot more to a security camera in obtaining quality images than MPs. The sensor model and size matter, as does the f stop, lens quality, software / firmware. It gets complex.
  • Installing cameras without bench testing before.

Think about using multiple products
No one system or product is able to do multiple functions well. A security camera system is only one useful tool. Also look at an alarm system, as well as other protective measures. Furthermore, it is OK to actually purchase multiple products to augment each other. For example, doorbell camera / intercom technology is still rapidly developing - so perhaps purchasing a separate product and using that in conjunction with a good wired security camera system. You want to talk to those who have broken into your house? Well pick up the best product for that and use it to augment the best product for image / video captures ( typically a wired solution ). Remember none of the current products available do a great job with all features and thus it is OK to combine different products to get better results.

What do you want to accomplish with a security camera system?
  • Is the day time more of a threat? or night time? If night time look at the starlight models referenced here, if day time the 4K cameras work well. If a combination get both starlights and consider good 4K cameras.
  • See what happened?
  • Potentially ID suspects? Locate cameras less than 8 feet high and close enough to get a potential ID'able facial image. ( please see the ID distance list )
  • Help deter criminal activities? Mount your cameras in obvious locations.
  • Keep an eye on your car parked in your drive way? in the street?
  • Potentially ID cars which suspects maybe using?
  • Watch of other activities, wild animals, your dogs, your cats, birds,..
  • License plate captures? For successful license plate captures you may need to dedicate a camera to it as it requires camera tuning adjustments which makes the overall picture darker.
  • While you are thinking about these issues, you will need to look at potential camera installation locations and measure the distance to the potential suspect and determine if you are within the ID distance. You may need a camera with a better "zoom".

How many cameras do I need?
That's a difficult question to give a good answer to as it varies depending on the quality of the camera and what you are attempting to accomplish. I have seen 32 cameras in just one pharmacy, so you should not be shy about installing more cameras than you initially imagined.
For a modest house expect decent outdoor coverage with 6-8 good cameras. For better coverage and / or larger houses / buildings plan on getting a system which can support up to 16+ cameras.

Recommended Locations for outside cameras:
( For modest sized houses cameras can cover multiple areas - example one of the front of the house cameras can cover parking area, expect to use 6-8 cameras for a modest size home. )
2x for front of house
1-2x covering car parking area if outside
1-2x covering front entrance
2x covering side of house ( one on each side )
2x covering back of house
1-2x covering each entrance
1-2x covering sidewalk / street in an attempt to ID vehicles ( you may need a better "zoom" for this camera )
0-1,2x dedicated to read license plates ( LPR ). Note you will need to adjust/tune this camera to be able to read license plates.

Recommended - optional - locations for indoor cameras: ( If wiring a new house add cat5e/cat6 connections even if you decide not to include cameras )
1x camera per each entrance
1x camera in the garage
1x cameras hidden facing out from the TV/media center area at face level

Thadues618

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mat,

I read some of your other posts that are very helpful but for some reason I never came across the info you just posted above.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Mat,

I read some of your other posts that are very helpful but for some reason I never came across the info you just posted above.
Hi Ted,

Happy to share what I have been learning.

Take your time to plan it out, recommend picking up one of the varifocal starlight turrets from Andy and a power injector or PoE switch, microSD card and play around with different placement options and try different FOVs. All the reading here is great - and once you start actually playing with a camera it really starts to sink in and you can better plan out our setup.

From what I have seen, keeping an eye on where your cars are parked and the front porch seem to be the first places I would plan to cover

Thadues618

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again Mat,

That is what I will do. It's pretty over whelming to figure it all out at once. I will get one and go from there. I read this was the most popular "Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)". Is that still a good one to start off with to do some testing?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again Mat,

That is what I will do. It's pretty over whelming to figure it all out at once. I will get one and go from there. I read this was the most popular "Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)". Is that still a good one to start off with to do some testing?
Hi Ted,

That one or the ePOE one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

I like the IPC-HDW5231R-Z a bit better as I can paint the face to better have it blend in thanks to more metal on the face.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ted,

Also seeing that you have some brick on your home, I would also pick up a PFA130E junction box if Andy has one to play with. This will give you a good idea if you want to use that if you plan to place a camera on the brick wall and thus drill a smaller hole through the mortar and use bulk cable and keep the connection within the junction box.

Thadues618

n3wb
Reaction score
I am hoping to avoid drilling in the brick but you know way more about Ideal locations then I do. Hopefully I can keep them in soffits and the vinyl siding. I am sure the junction boxes aren't much so I will get one just in-case.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
upload_2018-1-27_11-41-54.png
I am hoping to avoid drilling in the brick but you know way more about Ideal locations then I do. Hopefully I can keep them in soffits and the vinyl siding. I am sure the junction boxes aren't much so I will get one just in-case.
I think you can avoid drilling into brick in most cases. If you do want a camera lower somewhere I'd surface mount a junction box and run conduit up to the soffit.

Here's an image showing a few locations I'd consider putting cameras. The design of the roof over the porch makes the area by the door / the porch a little more challenging. The quality of the street view image is also a bit limiting. Test locations before you install permanently. There are lots of different locations that could work near the door.

You'll probably need more than one camera near the garage. The one shown here would be pointed at the end of the driveway. The locations shown in blue could work for longer range bullet style cameras trained on the street.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RE: porch
remember to keep the ceiling/roof, walls, windows, and posts out of frame as much as possible to reduce IR reflection issues. The porch / front door area could take multiple cameras depending on what you want to see.

Take a few more pictures of the porch and garage if you want more advice.