Looking for an NVR for 5 cameras

Papa Echo

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed 5 PoE cameras, all from REOLINK.
1x 4K PTZ RLC-823A 16X zoom
1x 4K PoE Duo 3 PoE, 16MP
2x 4K PoE Duo 2 PoE, 8MP
1x Video Doorbell PoE Camera 5MP
All cameras are on a 1Gbit/s PoE switch.

My questions are:
  1. Which NVR can record all streams at the same time? That's just for the worst case.
  2. How much TBs should I have at least if I am not able to watch the videos during a 3 week vacation?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just installed 5 PoE cameras, all from REOLINK.
1x 4K PTZ RLC-823A 16X zoom
1x 4K PoE Duo 3 PoE, 16MP
2x 4K PoE Duo 2 PoE, 8MP
1x Video Doorbell PoE Camera 5MP
All cameras are on a 1Gbit/s PoE switch.

My questions are:
  1. Which NVR can record all streams at the same time? That's just for the worst case.
  2. How much TBs should I have at least if I am not able to watch the videos during a 3 week vacation?
Hi @Papa Echo

Most of us are not fans of reolink .. Basically advice would be to return them and get better cameras ..

In case you can not .. and you really want to go NVR with them .. or best choice due to compatibility would be a Reolink NVR that can handle 8 channels .. ( since you have duos I would bump it up and go with a 16 channel NVR - traditionally each Duo lens camera would take up 2 channels .. do check the bandwidth .. )

Papa Echo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately I cannot return the cameras. I already installed them some days ago.
The REOLINK cameras are ONVIF compatible. Do you have a recommendation of an ONVIF NVR?

And again the question about the storage capacity?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot return the cameras. I already installed them some days ago.
The REOLINK cameras are ONVIF compatible. Do you have a recommendation of an ONVIF NVR?

Go with Reolink NVR .. or try Blue Iris .. tho last I recall reolink still has compatibility issues with their onvif implementation and issues with i-frames

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Even though they may be Onvif cameras, you would more than likely lose some of the cameras features not using a reolink NVR. Also, if you get a reolink NVR with built in POE ports, it would be more of a plug and play setup.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

In terms of storage capacity .. get the largest HDDs you can afford and an NVR than can take 2 .. and .. if possible when in low light conditions ( at "night" ) just capture 1 frame per second from the Reolinks as they really have issues capturing any good ID'able image under low light conditions for moving subjects. This should save you a lot of storage space when in low light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best practice is to match NVR brand with camera brand. Even more so with Reolink as they are not truly ONVIF compliant. That is just a paid designation and enough evidence here showing that they don't work well with Blue Iris.

Just because you installed them doesn't mean you can't return them if you are still within the return window.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just use reolink NVR or BI , 3rd party NVR will be big headache for you. Limited function on the 3rd party nvr and even hard to add the cams to the nvr if you are not tech savy

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, as others have mentioned, return the Reolink toys/garbage, you still can even tho you've installed them.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No reason at all to use any NVR other than Reolink if that is the cameras you have. The price of a reolink nvr is no more than any other nvr with the same capabilities.

Reolink has cornered the consumer market for some reason?

I built a nice BI computer a few years ago but am too stupid to configure it. I even pay yearly for the upgrades and it just sits in a corner collecting dust. When i was younger i would have enjoyed the challenge of configuring the BI computer. Now i have trouble remembering my name sometimes.:(

Papa Echo

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the REOLINK 4K 8CH NVR (RLN8-410) now and I am happy with it. Although my three Duo cameras have two cameras installed in one unit, it works as one stream on the NVR.
I am all set.
Thank you to the forum.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought the REOLINK 4K 8CH NVR (RLN8-410) now and I am happy with it. Although my three Duo cameras have two cameras installed in one unit, it works as one stream on the NVR.
I am all set.
Thank you to the forum.
Use as much ambient lighting at night you can. It will make a huge difference with a small sensor size. They sell some cheap chineese lights that work ok for me ....so far.