looking for BI setting recommendations for use with RDP (remote desktop connection)

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm still learning what this amazing piece of software has to offer. Much of the configuration happens over of RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) and I'm learning there are some settings I can change to improve this connection method. Don't need or want an intense visual experience, just want the basics so I can remotely configure BI to dial in and test my settings, add more cameras and configure the properties of them.

Here are the settings I'm currently using geared towards remote desktop performance :

Options -> Startup -> Windows : Quiet (minimized and no splash)
Options -> Cameras -> Limit live preview rate (does not affect recording) : 15 fps
Options -> Cameras -> Display video during Remote Desktop Sessions : No

I'm looking for all around performance tips but the main focus is best configuration for RDP access as I plan to run this as a headless server down the road. Looking forward to some suggestions!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: looking for BI setting recommendations for use with RDP (remote desktop connectio

I recommend:

1. Run Blue Iris as a background service. It is there in the options somewhere.

2. I would allow video during remote desktop sessions, but reduce the frame rate even further. If this does not yield good performance, you can always use a 3rd party remote desktop system like Teamviewer (best for remote/internet connections) or Multiplicity 3 (great for local LAN connections).

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Re: looking for BI setting recommendations for use with RDP (remote desktop connectio

I recommend:

1. Run Blue Iris as a background service. It is there in the options somewhere.
I've stumbled across this setting on BI v4 @ Options -> Startup -> Run as a Window service (no user account or interface--advanced use)

What will I gain from enabling this? As I understand, running BI as a service allows use of the CLI (command line interface) access only. Would I do that AFTER I get everything set up the way I want using the GUI?

2. I would allow video during remote desktop sessions, but reduce the frame rate even further. If this does not yield good performance, you can always use a 3rd party remote desktop system like Teamviewer (best for remote/internet connections) or Multiplicity 3 (great for local LAN connections).
If my opinion, it makes most sense to leave this disabled as I don't want to watch video stream over remote connection because it seems like the web server feature would be best for that. I'm really enjoying your custom website files :)

Just checked out Multiplicity 3 and it looks awesome. Might have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestions!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

I've stumbled across this setting on BI v4 @ Options -> Startup -> Run as a Window service (no user account or interface--advanced use)

What will I gain from enabling this? As I understand, running BI as a service allows use of the CLI (command line interface) access only. Would I do that AFTER I get everything set up the way I want using the GUI?
Blue Iris does not have a CLI. When you run BI as a service, it just means BI will always be running in the background and you can open and close the GUI whenever you like without interfering with normal operation. You don't actually miss out on anything.

If my opinion, it makes most sense to leave this disabled as I don't want to watch video stream over remote connection because it seems like the web server feature would be best for that. I'm really enjoying your custom website files :)

Just checked out Multiplicity 3 and it looks awesome. Might have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestions!
The web server and mobile apps are unfortunately a bit limiting. Even my custom website files can't really replace the main Blue Iris GUI for clip viewing, especially since BI v4 introduced the timeline view, multiple camera playback, and stuff like that which is only available in the main Blue Iris GUI.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I set my live view to 5fps, it helps with cpu load a lot.