Looking for camera suggestions (35 ft identify?)

Reaction score
Originally posted this in the camera installation sub-forum by mistake:

Recently there have been multiple break-ins around one of my relatives homes. Also in the last few nights, over a dozen vehicles have had their catalytic converters cut out and stolen.

We are wanting to put in some surveillance cameras that will be capable of viewing and identifying individuals in the parking area about 35 feet away from the nearest possible mount location. Mounting height will about 9 feet from the ground. Night view is going to be the most important consideration, since the cretins are operating after dark. I do intend on 2 or 3 cameras on the parking area from different overlapping view angles. Then some additional camers to watch the rest of the property, including the gate to the backyard and all entrances and sides of the home.

I am thinking that the Dahua varifocal starlight cameras are probably the best bet for the parking areas.
Possibly the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS turret, or the IPC-HFW2231T-ZS bullet.

What would you recommend? Are there better options to be had in the $100-$200 range?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For better ID Id go with a bit more lens. Like the HFW5231E-Z5E
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14181

You may need more than one camera. Common mistake is trying to do too much with one camera. Facial ID is going to require the camera to be zoomed in to a relatively small area. Think one for ID one for overview/situational awareness to capture vehicles, ingress/egress etc..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 tool to vet out camera models that you’re interested in. Type in your address and it will pull up a Google Maps image of your house. Add up to three cameras, set the model numbers, position them on the image, then move the little guy around and see what the image looks like. If you are testing varifocal, it’ll let you adjust the zoom too.

One of the things it will show is PPF. To ID folks, it’s recommended to keep that at 100 or higher.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It won't be as personalized, but you can still use the tool to add a camera to the default image that pulls up, then move the dude 35 feet from the camera and then check out the image.

Looks like the 2231 (when zoom in all the way) has an image width of 18.1 feet (and a PPF of 106.1) at 35 feet:
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 12.56.35 PM.png

The 5231Z5 that @bigredfish suggested has an image width of 7.4 feet (and a PPF of 261) at 35 feet:
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 12.57.30 PM.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You probably wouldn’t have to zoom the Z5 all the way right? Allowing a bit more FOV and still staying above 100 PPF

Reaction score
Thank you for that, looks both could be good options. The 5231Z5 could be zoomed only partway giving be slight bit more flexibility as far as mounting locations go, whereas the 2231 would be maxed out zoom wise.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Your math looks good to me per the article.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK I see now so if I'm looking at a an armcrest 8mp with a viewing angle of 112° at a resolution of 3840x2160 2160÷112=19.28 ppf is that right?
Hi @Thecapt

2160 pixels ÷ 112 degrees => results in pixels PER degree

So based on that data, we still do not have any per foot info. SO more math is needed.

Basically a 8MP camera with a 90 degree H FOV = 25 foot distance to the 100 ppf mark. ( theoretical as we assume the pixels are effective... so in poor visibility or noisy conditions expect a shorter range )

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Th2capt
if you use an 8mp camera, do you expect it to work at night ?
To get a 8MP camera to work at night will require a lot of light

Fo night cameras use only Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras. The are 2mp up to some 4mp.

More megapixel is not necessarily better. do the math on the pixels and the sensor size.