Looking for device to alert me if internet coaxial is cut

webby101

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a Hikvision 6 camera / NVR setup and my weak point is the internet coaxial that is accesible from the street (we live under a a strict association so there is nothing I can do about that). I use an iSocket3G to monitor power cuts via sms and I'm wondering if anyone knows of something similar that could monitor the coaxial for loss of signal - the assumption here being that a burglar might cut the coaxial line which would keep me from receiving alerts from my Hikvision.

Thanks!

mrgoodkat

n3wb
Reaction score
You should be able to setup Video Loss Alerts in the NVR. Not sure if all of them can do it. It's under "Camera Settings"

Looks like I misunderstood and your internet is on the coax. My bad

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a Hikvision 6 camera / NVR setup and my weak point is the internet coaxial that is accesible from the street (we live under a a strict association so there is nothing I can do about that). I use an iSocket3G to monitor power cuts via sms and I'm wondering if anyone knows of something similar that could monitor the coaxial for loss of signal - the assumption here being that a burglar might cut the coaxial line which would keep me from receiving alerts from my Hikvision.

Thanks!
There are services that ping your ip and will tell you if there is an issue..but what will you do with that info? You cant call the cops every time your internet goes down...
Ensure you have an alarm system with cellular backup..

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to setup Video Loss Alerts in the NVR. Not sure if all of them can do it. It's under "Camera Settings"
Not to be Mr. Obvious... But if your internet is down your not going to get an alert from the NVR or camera. :)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all.

Thanks!
Their are no consumer devices that I am aware of that monitor RF signal levels. Devices that do do this are enterprise level hardware that reside in cable headends/OTN's. You also live in a VERY sketchy area, or are very paranoid if you are worried about someone accessing the cable tap, disconnecting your drop, or cutting the cable in the ground intentionally. As Fender stated your best line of defense if you are worried about power failures and cable cuts is an alarm system with 4g/LTE access or backup. The majority of our business buildings have cellular only for our alarm so no matter what the signal is going out, and in the case of buildings with fire suppression there is second 4G/LTE connection as a backup/fail safe.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another option is to use a router with wan failover and pay for a cellular connection..

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all.

... the assumption here being that a burglar might cut the coaxial line which would keep me from receiving alerts from my Hikvision.

Thanks!
Does that actually happen? Has it ever happened?
Isn't the cable box locked? Can you put a camera facing the box?

I suppose there would be some sort of cloud based ping home type of service that would could alert you but how often would you want/need it to ping home...

Regarding the iSocket device, hopefully you have a good battery back up powering your nvr and cams. My shop system will supposedly keep my cams running/recording for up to 30 minutes should the power be cut.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does that actually happen? Has it ever happened?
Isn't the cable box locked? Can you put a camera facing the box?
Yes. A family member of mine was recently a victim of what seems to be random acts of vandalism. Some random guy from a mile down the block cut the power to their AC. Then a few days later cut their cable. They happened to see him that time running out of the back yard (good Ole 20/20.....no camera haha) and gave the police a description. They arrested him a few hours later and he'd hit a few houses in their area.

Now, it doesn't appear that he was cutting the cable to specifically disable their remote alerts or alarm system, but had they had that and he decided to rob them afterwards... Well, sometimes people just have dumb luck like that.

So yes, it can happen.