looking for Dog/Cat deterrent

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a yard where dog/cats comes by and leaves me a smelly present.
The yard is 400 sq meter or 4,305 sq feet.
Trying to mainly guard half of this size (the other half is less visited by dogs/cats).
Investing in a fence is not an option, since it will be quite costly and cats will almost always find a way in.
Saw this:
Any thoughts on the best solution with a budget of ~ 100$ (owning a dog is not an option)?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
I used somthing like this. Before, i was getting smelly presents all the time. After first placing it, the cats would scare and run when it activated. Now, the cats are getting used to it and still passing through, but not leaving any presents for me.
Capture.PNG

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used somthing like this. Before, i was getting smelly presents all the time. After first placing it, the cats would scare and run when it activated. Now, the cats are getting used to it and still passing through, but not leaving any presents for me.
View attachment 153947
Does it make a human audible noise? I prefer not to wake up during the night if a cat passes by...
The sprinkler also makes a noise when triggered, but i'ts not too load.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like the world-wide membership on this site. What country are you in?
Yep some things are country dependent on what our responses would be, so it is helpful when people put down something other than here or Mars or something else LOL.

But yeah the sprinkler works great. I have used it many times to prevent a stupid neighbor that insists on walking his dogs between houses and backyards. Stay on the sidewalk dude. Especially at 11pm at night with a flashlight to see to pick up the crap (at least he does that). You risk being shot someone sees someone walking around with a flashlight close to their house in the backyard.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the sprinklers, beyond the need for a water connection (there are some stand-alone versions too), is that they don't discriminate as far as what triggers them. I tried those to keep herons away from eating fish in my pond. Which they do pretty well for that and other critters. But in the end was more of a pain in the ass for me having to avoid the damn thing all the time than it was worth to prevent the off-case event.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the sprinklers, beyond the need for a water connection (there are some stand-alone versions too), is that they don't discriminate as far as what triggers them. I tried those to keep herons away from eating fish in my pond. Which they do pretty well for that and other critters. But in the end was more of a pain in the ass for me having to avoid the damn thing all the time than it was worth to prevent the off-case event.
Adjusting the sensitivity or partialy covering (placing a rock to limit field of view) the PIR sensor won't help?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you used Cayenne pepper? It is cheap and also a vinegar spray works too.
Here are some other things to use too.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Trying to remember but I don't think mine had any sensitivity setting. If it did/does, then it's likely going to work opposite of the way that you'd want it too. i.e., If you make it less sensitive you won't get smaller critters. More sensitive, then it definitely will get you. The "intelligent detection" that they cite is just a PIR. You may be able to limit the view and/or turn it so that it doesn't trigger in some direction. Whether that works out I guess depends on the area. Couldn't practically do that very well where I needed it to be. The one that you linked to also can be set to only trigger for day/night/both so maybe that works depending on the area and how you use it.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you used Cayenne pepper? It is cheap and also a vinegar spray works too.
Here are some other things to use too.

I know about these replants, but they require maintenance, I mean, rain or wind may reduce the effect of a certain smell.
Also, spraying large area is not a fun task, if needed to be performed once a week.
These are stray cats not sure if these tricks will even affect them.
One of their favorite places to chill, is next to a lemon tree and other plants that are considered "cat repellents".
But I know for sure they are afraid of water.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Trying to remember but I don't think mine had any sensitivity setting. If it did/does, then it's likely going to work opposite of the way that you'd want it too. i.e., If you make it less sensitive you won't get smaller critters. More sensitive, then it definitely will get you. The "intelligent detection" that they cite is just a PIR. You may be able to limit the view and/or turn it so that it doesn't trigger in some direction. Whether that works out I guess depends on the area. Couldn't practically do that very well where I needed it to be. The one that you linked to also can be set to only trigger for day/night/both so maybe that works depending on the area and how you use it.
Guessing it's like an IPC, you need to let it work 24 hour before you decide the final location of it. :)
The secondary goal of this cat/dog deterrent is to protect planted trees - the cats love to scratch tree trunks in the yard, so I think I can position it in a way that it will only target animals in the vicinity of the trees.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had two of the Orbit sprinklers... trying to keep deer away. It was very effective in nailing me, the gardener, postman, Fedex, but the deer: not so much. And you can't use it when the freeze starts if in that area. I gave up on them.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had two of the Orbit sprinklers... trying to keep deer away. It was very effective in nailing me, the gardener, postman, Fedex, but the deer: not so much. And you can't use it when the freeze starts if in that area. I gave up on them.
Where I live we have about 10 days in a year with a freezing tempature.
So I can live with this limitation.