Looking for feedback on potential new build

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a "wedge" style listed in the Cliff Notes that would probably be better for that kind of location, and less obtrusive as well.

All kidding aside, you can start with just a couple and add as you go. Remember, when pulling cables always add at least one to each location, just in case. I've also gotten into the habit of running an 18-2, CMR rated, cable for auxiliary power for items like IR illuminators. It sure beats going back and doing the whole wire pull all over again.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The overhangs in the front are about 5 feet from the ground, it seems like it would be very easy to physically disable them if someone tried. What other options would there be to keep it at 15 feet, just buy a more expensive camera with a larger sensor?
That's the whole point of having the cameras positioned so they're watching each other. There's no way to get to them without being recorded. There's also no reason to mount them under the overhangs unless your wife insists on being discreet. I'd actually suggest you mount them on the face of the wall because the overhang may prevent a facial view of someone who's tall if the cameras only at 5ft as it will clip the view looking along the wall rendering them useless. There probably are ways you could disguise them on the face if you really required it.

If you're worried someone might disable them and then get into the house without you being able to prove break and enter, then you could put an Aneke Cube inside the house. Nice and cheap will prove the intrusion. Search the forum for more info on this camera.

Also, from the corners of the house you probably won't get a good face pic at the door either with a 2mp camera (which is the best resolution for night vision (starlight cams)). Take a look at what many on here consider to be the best night time camera the HDW5231R-ZE - the Identify parameter on Wide angle is 13 feet max. If the diagonal from the camera to the door at 6ft is more than 13 feet, then bang goes identification:

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

Ok if someone walks up the side of your house, but maybe too far back if someone walks and makes a bee line for your door across the lawn. There's a lot to be said for having coverage at the door and then building the rest of the system backwards from that in my opinion. You're somewhat unlucky in that your door is recessed making it harder to get the coverage you want with fewer cameras. Other way is you could have 1 camera on wide and the other on zoom to increase the identify distance, however, zooming will also cut the field of view and area covered. This is the way I plan to eventually cover my own backdoor but the side of my house is only around 35 feet. Final way would be a door bell camera in addition to the others, but the pics are usually awful compared to "proper" camera.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Front of the house.
Mount the cams next to the gutters with a proper wall mount at 7ft.
Hide the outdoor rated cable behind the gutter.
I would suggest you need to study the Cliff Notes again, from a real computer, not from your phone.
Pay close attention to this: IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Top Newb mistakes:
  • Not heeding advice given
  • Mounting cams too high for face ID's.
  • Using too wide of angle of lens
  • Trying to cover too much area with too few cams.
  • Falling for the cloud based crap.
  • Using Wifi cams.
  • Using CCA cable and not solid copper cable from a reputable source.
  • Assuming all of it can be installed in a weekend, not if it's done correctly.
  • Not testing locations prior to permanent mounting.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Plan, plan, plan.
Use the cams you have chosen, and use these wall mounts to mount them at 7-8ft.
https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-PFB203W-Water-proof-Mount-Bracket/dp/B07DVX7XXR/ref=sr_1_8?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1550686504&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&sr=1-8&tag=ipctk-20

Use this camera at your front door, in a 2.8mm lens, mounted 5-6 ft height.
https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07BBJQ4B5/ref=sr_1_7?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1550695236&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&sr=1-7&tag=ipctk-20

Back.png front.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Another idea for you. Get a 5 gallon bucket, an eight foot 2x4 and enough rocks/gravel to fill the bucket. Get one camera and a 100 or 200 foot CAT cable. Use that to test each proposed location for a camera and test for more than ten minutes. Keep it setup for a day or two and walk by it during the day and at night, with a hat, with a hoodie, and try to be "subversive" when you do. Adjust height and position as needed to determine the "sweet" spot of each location.

That idea, I believe, actually belongs to loone2nes and it's a very good way to test both the camera and your camera locations.