Looking for free cloud storage

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this site and had a question about online recording of IP-Cam footage. I have since almost 4 months an outdoor Y-Cam to monitor the front yard. Y-Cam has its own free cloud storage with retention of 7 days, so far so good. But I am not that happy with this device, kinda buggy, it misses sometimes very important motions in my yard and the worst part is low resolution: 1MP. Since I wanted to purchase more devices I decided to go for some other brand, it became finally Ganvis GV-T530A with more functionalities and 5MP resolution (no Audio but almost 1/4 of the price I paid for Y-Cam).

My question is if people know good sites with free cloud based storage possibilities. I found so far 2 sites on the web (AngelCam and CameraFTP) but am sure there should be more sites offering such services.

Any help highly appreciated!

Regards,
- Avareh

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not answering your question but a bit of advice for future cameras: Decent 1MP is better than cheap 2MP. Actually decent 1MP is better than cheap 5MP. HDW2100 Dahua being case and point.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Del Boy, thanks for your answer but it does not help me. The expensive Y-Cam is just a Chinese brand like all others, it is fabricated there and packed/sent to UK and being sold under a UK-based brand name, that's what I thought to read on the Y-Cam site, the reason for me to purchase it was I wanted at the time to order it fast (shipment took 24hrs) and further in a minute connect/setup and use it, that's it. The low price of Ganvis does not imply it's necessarily a camera with bad quality!

Anyway, we're getting off the road: hope someone knows free IP cam-recording servers with possibility to download footages triggered by Motion Detection!

Last edited by a moderator:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tinycam pro for android allows recording of pics to google drive.its free :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
TinyCam looks based on what I read really promising, I wonder if the purchase cost of the App (Pro version) be the only one.
I would definitely try this one too when camera arrives, thanks mando209 for your hint.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found meanwhile a few Apps for use to monitor the IP camera's, including streaming to cloud and store the recording there. However those often support continuous recording, so there is no support for motion detection or they do but it's paid, with very limited features and asking a lot if number of recorded motions increases.

I really don't need hug files on cloud, I just want motions in my front-yard be recorded, that's it. Are there any likewise App's or any web-based tools offering this? I can even live with retention of at least 7 days, without any limitation in number of recorded footage per day. It can also be a browser based tool, I need both PC and (android) mobile device be able for live streaming and/or play back recorded motions.

Any advice is appreciated.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
You can try https://www.camcloud.com/. It uses your camera FTP client to upload recorded videos on motion to their FTP server (camera has to support such feature). There are some other services available which works in similar way.

To get tinyCam Monitor recording to the cloud you need to use Background Mode in the app. The app should be running all the time for that. It allows make JPEG recording to 3d party cloud services (Dropbox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive, Amazon Cloud) on motion. Video recording will be available later this year.

We are also working on tinyCam Cloud. It is in beta now. It will be constantly connected to your camera (app is used only for playback), make continuous recording and detect motion (both video and audio).
https://plus.google.com/u/0/116818390313397542132/posts/ikyYV9XBFQo

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had seen CamCloud site before, nice but as the topic says I was looking for free storage (-:
And I was definitely going to give the TinyCam a try. I'm already using a few months an outdoor Y-Cam which am absolutely not happy with it, very poor regarding feautures/quality but has a very nice feature which is the free storage of motions on their server (up to 7 days) I can easily watch and play back those on my laptop, including on their own free App.

I was also reading at your blog the Cloud support for TinyCam, I see support for video compression format of H.264. I am going to receive within a few weeks another cam (Ganvis GV-T530A + PoE kit) which I ordered at AliExpress, and it luckily supports both H.264 compresion and RTSP protocol. I'm interested to see how things gonna work!

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Anyway all cloud services cost money. It is not possible to make them "free" for end users unless you are Google/Amazon/MS.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmmm, am not sure about that. You have nowadays many cloud services which are free but are used for different goals: storage of mail, docs, photo's, movies, ... I admit talking about IP camera's, storage on web, ... choices are limited but what matters regarding dumping digital stuff on web? does it matter it be a video of your birthday party or IP camera? so I still think free storage on cloud is going to grow, since usage of IP camera's and need for online storage is growing.

One thing I for sure don't like about App's is the fact they always have to run since those have a key role in this whole recording thing. I have an PoE IP camera, I also have Internet connection, and somewhere in the world there is a server (Cloud/FTP/... whatever). Why I then have to be dependent of mobile device/App? suppose mobile device runs out of battery, or I forget to run the App in background, ,...

I just wanna use the mobile/App to view things, or maybe do some configuration/modification but I don't want security of home be dependent on my mobile device, maybe I am mistaken (am a newbie to this whole IP Camera thing) but that's how I see things!

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I found so far 2 sites on the web (AngelCam and CameraFTP) but am sure there should be more sites offering such services.

- Avareh
AngelCam offer 3 days retention for free! Is there a catch?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AngelCam offer 3 days retention for free! Is there a catch?
I've only had Angelcam for a week. So far there appears to be no catch. Keep in mind you pay what you get for which is not much in this case. It's very difficult to search and play the recorded video you are trying to find. There is no way of downloading the video unless you pay for the subscription service. Try it out.

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I am getting the idea that choices in this case are quite limited.
Suppose (for the case) I decide to skip the customized cloud storage for IP Camera's, let say considering local storage file system (NAS, .. whatever): what are the best practices to still have the recorded footage online? I mean something batch-wise which automatically uploads movies to cloud and I can from any arbitrary place download/watch the movies!

I am sure I am not the first one trying to invent the wheel, what are then the best options? we're living in 2016, I'm sure there are people here being much further than me in this whole storage thing and have asked themselves the same questions in past.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Cloud is for people whom dont care about security; its sorta an oxymoron to store security camera recordings in the cloud.. offsite storage is not that important, store locally as secure remote access is easy as pie.

The Cloud is over-rated..

/Cloud Engineer

ypedis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Avareh,
In case you haven't find a solution so far !
For FTP server storage I use a NUC or Fujitsu Esprimo Q920 Tiny or any other small foot print PC, without monitor, keyboard and mouse, only power, hidden in a loft or closet. DVR recorder is the first thing burglar will remove.
Internet connection is always on.
Software I install is free Filezilla server to receive and record images and videos of cameras with motion detection ON and Pcloud with 5Gb free storage.
Cameras send files to FTP thru WiFi, Pcloud automatically sends these files to cloud using "Sync" function.
So you have recorded files locally on your hidden PC and on internet cloud Pcloud.
Using your Laptop or desktop PC you can access, thru WiFi, the hidden PC, thru free Anydesk or any other remote desktop sw, to view cameras' records and erase them after a certain period of time.
I use free IPCAMSOFT BASIC, to view live cameras (any brand) either locally or away, remember to "port forward" cameras on your router. I use the free app for mobile phone from the same co.
Regarding DDNS I use free Dynu client.
So almost everything is free and reliable.
I have done a lot of installations, all of them functioning perfectly.
If you need more cloud storage space, Pcloud offers "one time payment" and these days offer big discount :

Yorgos / GREECE