Looking For Good Advice

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thank those who have answered my questions. In addition to that this is for fenderman - Pee on an elect fence not a chance, in the wind lots of times while in the Army.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bite your tongue CCTVCam. There are people in the world now days and in the past, There are people that they live in a broken down house and have a new car. There are people out there who are disable and do what they can do to keep there heads above water. We ALL have our reasons why we do things that the way we do. Well, you guys no longer have to deal with me, as my NVR and ASH-47W cameras came in today, and the NVR is living up to it's name as a plug and play unit. Both DVR's came up the minute I powered on the unit, not to mention my other cameras and also not to mentioned my two other brand cameras. Tomorrow I'm putting up my ASH47 camera and that is going to be a true test of the power. I didn't realize that the 47 has a 16x zoom lens on it, wihch is good to know. The other thing I like about the NVR is that all my recordering are being recorded to my HHD on my PC, but what's going to happen when I shut down my PC? Do the two DVR's pick up the recorders? We should find out tomorrow. On that note, thank you for your time.
Dan

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the 47 has a 16x zoom lens on it, wihch is good to know.
The ASH47 has a fixed 3.6mm lens....it has no optical zoom at all...see what happens when you dont take advice?

Recording from an NVR to pc? my head is exploding....

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I stand corrected fenderman - it is fixed, but it has a 16x digital zoom on it. Speaking of cameras, here's a good one. I don't understand all this stuff about lens and things, as I'm still learning. But I'm also in the need for a camera to go 5 feet. Why? Will I have a camera inside of a box that is outside facing my elect meter. So I can read it daily and make sure the elect company (which they are known to do) over charge people. So far they and me are on the money. But anyway, from the front of the camera to the front of the elect meter is about 3 - 5 feet. So how can I seek such a camera?

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I stand corrected fenderman - it is fixed, but it has a 16x digital zoom on it. Speaking of cameras, here's a good one. I don't understand all this stuff about lens and things, as I'm still learning. But I'm also in the need for a camera to go 5 feet. Why? Will I have a camera inside of a box that is outside facing my elect meter. So I can read it daily and make sure the elect company (which they are known to do) over charge people. So far they and me are on the money. But anyway, from the front of the camera to the front of the elect meter is about 3 - 5 feet. So how can I seek such a camera?
Take it a step further and monitor your electrical panel to ensure the electric company isn't stealing from you, and you aren't stealing from you (wasted consumption).

I installed an Emporia Vue energy monitoring system in my parents home and mine. It monitors the mains (total power consumption) plus 16 other circuits.

One night at 3am, I heard a single smoke detector chirp and investigated. Went around the house sniffing for smoke and didn't smell anything. Crawled back into bed and decided to look at the energy consumption on my phone. I noticed something cycling 700 watts and then off repeatedly, like a heating element of some sort. I looked back to when that device started, and found it was 7am... just when my wife irons her clothes. I opened the built in ironing board and found the iron was on and the wall was extremely hot. It created just enough smoke to make the fire alarm give off a single chirp.

At my parent's house, I installed the Emporia monitor, and immediately saw the water pump circuit cycling on and off despite nobody running water. Further investigation found an outdoor faucet was not completely closed. The power consumption amounted to $2/day if never corrected.

Monitoring power consumption with a camera is doing it wrong. Any misread would be corrected upon later reading.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like it, but why is my method wrong? But you still didn't answer my question.
Dan

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Bite your tongue CCTVCam. ....who do what they can do to keep there heads above water..
Dan
..and I'm one of them.

Better to save today and buy tomorrow than buy rubbish today and regret tomorrow. There's a lightbulb camera review on here somewhere. I seem to remember it wasn't favourable. Also PTZ's suffer tracking issues. If you want something temporary then get a Wyze cam. They're not great esepcially at night which is the achilles heal of most cheaper brands, but for $20-30 for the 2 version, you at least have something whilst you save for something better. Better to write off $20-30 down the line than $80! You don't even need an nvr with one as I seem to remember they record to an SD card. No this isn't a recommendation for them. They're not great in many's people's opinion on here. But as an at least I have something cam, they're ok.

Alternative 2 is buy one of the cheaper recommendations from the wiki. I believe the lowest recommended cameras costs around £60-80. You trade a bit of performance but it will get you up and running with something decent.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CCTVCam what you said I totally agree with you on everything. You do understand.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll throw in one more comment. Timlab you said that the suggested cameras were out of your price range. I understand that everyone is on a budget. If you are only looking for cameras to provide a general "overview" of your property (ie you know someone is there, but you don't expect to be able to identify them), then even crappy cameras will probably work and obviously are cheaper than better cameras. If this is all you want, then go for it. You really don't need our assistance.

However, most of us install cameras because we want detailed enough footage to actually identify a stranger (ie good enough for police to use in court) in low/no light situations when most of the illegal activity occurs. If you expect your camera to be able to do this, you cannot buy crappy cameras. If you do, you are literally throwing your money away because they cannot provide the detailed footage that you want/expect. Not only will you have spent money on something that will never meet this goal, it gives people a false sense of security. Right up to the point where they need to use the footage due to some "event" that occurred at night and they realize all they have is a ghostly/blury image of a human-like figure that can only tell them what time the event happened but will never be useful in identifying the perp.

If you want anything better than a general "overview" camera then you are better off with even just one decent camera (because that is all your budget allowed) than 20 crappy cameras. Getting lots of crappy cameras will do nothing but produce lots of crappy results. You can always buy more decent camera as your budget allows, but you generally can't return your crappy cameras after you realize how bad they are.

We'll be happy to help you achieve this type of result.....
1695390724861.png

Or you can buy cheap cameras and get this type of result........
1695391019261.png

The choice really is yours to make.

Last edited:

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was wondering who took my GC Jeep (white). I have my first ASH 47W up and running. The wife is happy, I'm happy. However, I do want to know about the step up but not in the price range of giving up my first born (he's married and has kids).
Thanks

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are images from my new PTZ cameras (ASH-47). For my needs, these images are Okay! However, now I need two more PTZ cameras with auto tracking and a little bit more better image, and they have to come from Amazon. WILL anyone assist? Price range $100-$200 each.Back.pngSide Pasture.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These are images from my new PTZ cameras (ASH-47). For my needs, these images are Okay! However, now I need two more PTZ cameras with auto tracking and a little bit more better image, and they have to come from Amazon. WILL anyone assist? Price range $100-$200 each.View attachment 172993View attachment 172994

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
related to your o.p. header topic . but maybe not your subject matter.

Buy Bitcoin Bitcoin+Gifs+10-3583179384.gif