Looking for help setting up Cottage Surveillance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have another question that I would appreciate help with...

I am looking at POE injectors and I see that they vary in output voltage (some are 12V some are 48V)! Do I have to get one that outputs 12V to connect to a Hikvision cam that asks for 12VDC? Does it matter is I use a 48V unit?

If I do have a 48V POE injector can I use it to power a passive 4 port switch that would provide POE to 4 cams?

Thanks...

NVR... Just so you know, I decided to order a 32ch NVR (DS-7832N-E2/8P). The price differential was close enough to go big.
The hikvision camera only uses 12v when using the power cable with an external power supply. When using poe, nothing is plugged into the power connection, its all fed through ethernet...
The cameras conform to the poe standard 802.3af which can supply up to 48v, this is all regulated by the camera and poe switch. Make sure the switch conforms to the standard..Are you going to run all the cameras to the same switch? or split them up?

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman... Thanks for the reply.

So as I understand what you wrote, as long as the POE injector conforms to the POE standard (802.3af) then the camera and the injector will figure out the correct amount of power for the camera. Ignore my question on the passive 4 port switch... I now realize that it didn't make sense!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman... Thanks for the reply.

So as I understand what you wrote, as long as the POE injector conforms to the POE standard (802.3af) then the camera and the injector will figure out the correct amount of power for the camera. Ignore my question on the passive 4 port switch... I now realize that it didn't make sense!!
exactly..
If you are installing ptz cameras, note that most of them require more power due to the motor and more IR lights..the use POE+ which is 802.3at

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think that I will wait until ptz cameras come down significantly in price!! Then I'll deal with the POE+ issue then. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that I will wait until ptz cameras come down significantly in price!! Then I'll deal with the POE+ issue then. Thanks
Yes, there is no reason to buy a poe+ switch now...and ptz is not useful for security purposes in most applications anyway...
Just get a highly rated one with enough poe ports for your needs...

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm back looking for more help!!

I just received my Hikvision NVR (DS-7632N-E2/8P) and 2 cameras (DS-2CD2032-1).

I have played around with them for a few hours but now I seem to be stuck!

First, I turned on the NVR using the mouse and a monitor but without attaching the network cable. I then formatted the hard drive, and navigated around the menus familiarizing myself with the screens. Then I attached one of the cameras and played around with it using Live Video...etc

Finally I decided it was time to try to connect the NVR to my home network and this is where the issues started cropping up. I changed the IPv4 address to an address within my routers range (I used 10.0.1.54) and at the same time I also changed the Internal NIC IPv4 address also to 10.0.1.54 (I cannot remember what it was initially set at when I went in!). I seem to remember seeing an error message but it did allow me to change it. After this I was able to login to the NVR using a browser on my PC and see all the same screens as the direct attachment method.

However, I couldn't figure out how to see the camera directly. I had also downloaded the Hikvision tool SADP and although I could see the NVR with this tool I couldn't see the camera.

So I logged into the NVR's menu system and changed the IPv4 address to 10.0.1.154 (which was outside of the range I had established on my router). I also tried to change the Internal NIC IPv4 address but this time I received the error (see below) and it would not let me change it... but it did let me save the new IPv4 address (10.0.1.154)! After that I could no longer access the NVR through a browser over the network and I could no longer see the NVR using the SADP tool! So I went back to the menu system and tried to change the IPv4 address back to 10.0.1.54 but the system gives me the error message and will not let me revise IP address!

I also tried changing the range of acceptable addresses on my router to include 10.0.1.154 but it doen't appear to be working because I cannot access the NVR through the network and SADP does not recognize it. When I Ping that address I just get Time Out's!

So now I'm stuck in that I cannot change the config of the NVR because I keep getting the error message "Operation Failed. IPv4 addresses of Device and internal NIC conflict. Please set again."

Does anyone have any ideas on how I get past this? Is there a way to reset the NVR to factory settings?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm back looking for more help!!

I just received my Hikvision NVR (DS-7632N-E2/8P) and 2 cameras (DS-2CD2032-1).

I have played around with them for a few hours but now I seem to be stuck!

First, I turned on the NVR using the mouse and a monitor but without attaching the network cable. I then formatted the hard drive, and navigated around the menus familiarizing myself with the screens. Then I attached one of the cameras and played around with it using Live Video...etc

Finally I decided it was time to try to connect the NVR to my home network and this is where the issues started cropping up. I changed the IPv4 address to an address within my routers range (I used 10.0.1.54) and at the same time I also changed the Internal NIC IPv4 address also to 10.0.1.54 (I cannot remember what it was initially set at when I went in!). I seem to remember seeing an error message but it did allow me to change it. After this I was able to login to the NVR using a browser on my PC and see all the same screens as the direct attachment method.

However, I couldn't figure out how to see the camera directly. I had also downloaded the Hikvision tool SADP and although I could see the NVR with this tool I couldn't see the camera.

So I logged into the NVR's menu system and changed the IPv4 address to 10.0.1.154 (which was outside of the range I had established on my router). I also tried to change the Internal NIC IPv4 address but this time I received the error (see below) and it would not let me change it... but it did let me save the new IPv4 address (10.0.1.154)! After that I could no longer access the NVR through a browser over the network and I could no longer see the NVR using the SADP tool! So I went back to the menu system and tried to change the IPv4 address back to 10.0.1.54 but the system gives me the error message and will not let me revise IP address!

I also tried changing the range of acceptable addresses on my router to include 10.0.1.154 but it doen't appear to be working because I cannot access the NVR through the network and SADP does not recognize it. When I Ping that address I just get Time Out's!

So now I'm stuck in that I cannot change the config of the NVR because I keep getting the error message "Operation Failed. IPv4 addresses of Device and internal NIC conflict. Please set again."

Does anyone have any ideas on how I get past this? Is there a way to reset the NVR to factory settings?
So let me get this straight you changed the internal ip to 10.0.1.154 and then changed the external ip to 10.0.1.154 the same address? You can't do that the external needs to have its own IP 10.0.1.155 and the internal needs a difference ip. Your getting the error because you have both IP with the same address so they are conflicting with each other.

did you try pinging it at 10.0.1.54?

did you power cycle the NVR yet?

Why change the Ip in the nvr when you can let your router handle it. You can put the mac addy in of the nvr and assign the ip you want to the mac address and leaving the NVR to auto obtain from the router.

I would download a free network tool that lets you scan the network and show you everything thats connected to figure out what address it has then go from there

Your not going to be able to see the nor because its out of the range so you can also try to chance the Ip on your computer to the range you the nor in and connect to it that way to change everything back to normal

nvr say its 10.0.1.154 change your computer with sadp to 10.0.1.153 so it can scan

AS far as why you couldn't see the camera its because you need to change the default IP is 192.0.0.64 to something with in the routers range again why you couldn't see it with sadp cause its outside the network range

Example

nvr= 10.0.1.54
camera 1 = 10.0.1.55
etc etc for each camera

but allow the router to do it by mac address that why it doesn't happen again and leave the NVR on auto obtain IP and dh

Last edited by a moderator:

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I changed the two IP's to the same address. I recognize that I probably shouldn't have done that but hindsight is 20-20!! (frankly I had no idea what the internal NIC IPv4 address was for!).

Yes I am still getting the error message yet the two addresses are no longer the same! The IPv4 address is 10.0.1.154 and the Internal NIC IPv4 address is 10.0.1.54!

I power cycled both the NVR and router many times but with no change. I also pinged 10.0.1.54 and 10.0.1.154 but they keep giving me the timeouts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The PoE ports by default use their own, separate, IP address range.
As it is separate, there is no value in changing from the default. The PoE interface address default is 192.168.254.1 See if you can still assign this value, then restart the NVR.
What you can't do is to assign the PoE interface an unused address within your normal network - that will break the routing within the NVR, assuming you are using a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.
When the PoE ports are set to 'Plug & Play' the NVR will automatically assign an address to the port, and will be able to automatically configure any Hikvision camera that is plugged in to match. This can take a few 10s of seconds, after which the camera appears in Live View.
Normally there would be no need to disconnect the camera from the PoE port and connect back to your normal LAN unless you have changed the camera password away from the initial value.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

Alastair... I wish I had understood this, which you explained so well, before I started tinkering with things! I have not been successful in changing the PoE interface address back to it's default! I keep getting the same error message "Operation Failed. IPv4 addresses of Device and internal NIC conflict. Please set again.". However I was successful in getting the NVR recognized by my router (leaving it at 10.0.1.154) so I can now access the NVR with a browser over the network. The PoE address remains at 10.0.1.54.

Question: Since I am using the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and this address (10.0.1.54) is in the range within my normal network, am I going to run into problems?

When I look at the config of the cameras connected to the NVR using the direct connection (i.e. mouse and monitor) Menu->Cameras I see that the addresses showing for the 8 PoE cameras, using Plug & Play, have been assigned 10.0.1.2 through to 10.0.1.9. I assume that this means that the NVR is assigning these addresses based on the Internal NIC IPv4 address 10.0.1.54. However I have already used most of those addresses within my normal network! Will this cause issues?

If the NVR assigns it's own separate IP addresses, does this mean that I cannot access a specific camera through my regular network and that I can only do so by going through the NVR?

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update:

Subsequent to my last post I found that the browser access to the NVR provides different options than the direct connection! There was an option within the Configuration->Maintenance to "Restore all parameters to default settings." I did this and it indeed reset everything. So now I have the NVR with an IP address within my regular network's range and the PoE interface address back to the default of 192.168.254.1. The cameras are now assigned addresses from 192.168.254.2 through to 192.168.254.9.

Along the lines of my question in the previous post, am I able to directly access a specific camera say 192.168.254.2 over my network? If not, how can I access the camera to configure it with the advanced settings? Access to the camera's settings through the NVR, either through the browser or the direct connection, does not provide access to the advanced settings! As an example for my camera (DS-2CD2031-1) I cannot see how I can adjust the image for things like WDR, White Balance, Digital Noise Reduction...etc which I understand you can adjust when you access the camera directly!

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update:

I just realized that access to the NVR via a browser, instead of the direct connection (mouse and monitor) provided a means to reset the NVR back to factory settings (Config-->Maintenance-->Default "Restore all parameters to default settings". So now I have the NVR's IP address within my regular network's address range and the PoE interface address back to the default (192.168.254.1). The assigned addresses for the 8 PoE (Plug&Play) cameras will be 192.168.254.2 through to 192.168.254.9.

Along the lines of my question in my previous post, is there any way to access a specific camera directly through my regular network? The reason I ask is because I would like to be able to set certain advanced image parameters for my camera (DS-2CD2032-1) which do not appear to be available through either the browser access or direct connection to the NVR! I understand that there are certain parameters that can be modified (e.g. WDR, White Balance, Digital Noise Reduction...etc) if you access the camera directly.

Edit: I thought my original update didn't get posted! So I rewrote it... but I now see that they are both here!! Sorry for the duplication...

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Question: Since I am using the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and this address (10.0.1.54) is in the range within my normal network, am I going to run into problems?

When I look at the config of the cameras connected to the NVR using the direct connection (i.e. mouse and monitor) Menu->Cameras I see that the addresses showing for the 8 PoE cameras, using Plug & Play, have been assigned 10.0.1.2 through to 10.0.1.9. I assume that this means that the NVR is assigning these addresses based on the Internal NIC IPv4 address 10.0.1.54. However I have already used most of those addresses within my normal network! Will this cause issues?
Yes, having the the PoE interface IP address in the same range as the LAN address will definitely cause problems. You have already seen that there will potentially be IP address conflicts with multiple devices on your LAN which are assigned that same addresses from your router DHCP IP address pool.
But if you haven't seen any evidence of that, I could speculate that it may be due to the internal routing between PoE ports interface and the LAN interface being broken in your NVR.
Somehow you need to get the PoE interface address set to a range that's not on your LAN, ideally back to it's original default.
I wonder if the configuration complaint is anything to do with it checking for duplicates of the camera addresses? Hard to know.

There are various things to try, assuming you know how to set your PC to a fixed, static IP address.

Unplug the NVR LAN interface, and see if you still get an error when trying to set the PoE interface IP address via the HDMI connection. That way, it will not see any potentially clashing devices on the LAN.

Via the web GUI, change the NVR LAN interface to an address not on your LAN, say 192.168.1.100
Change your PC to say 192.168.1.10
Unplug the NVR LAN connection.
Via the HDMI connection, try to change the PoE interface IP address to 192.168.254.1
If that works, plug the NVR LAN connection back in, restart the browser and connect to http://192.168.1.100, change the NVR LAN address back to your original 10.0.1.154, and your PC address back to its original settings.

If all else fails - there is always the 'Reset all parameters to default settings' in the Maintenance menu - but that may have other side effects depending on what configuration settings the running state of the NVR depends upon.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help... I will try the setup described in that linked thread.