Looking for Hikvision camera recommendations

maxxfusion

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had a Hikvision NVR for a while now with the Hikvision doorbell. I want to start adding some cameras to the outside of my house.

I was thinking a couple in the corners on the front yard and one in the backyard rear. I am not sure which camera would be my best option for this angle.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
If you have a browse around the forum and do some searches, I'm sure you'll find very many real-world examples that will help inform what you need to do, and trigger some specific questions.

You've not really given much detail for people to be able to respond usefully.

maxxfusion

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have a browse around the forum and do some searches, I'm sure you'll find very many real-world examples that will help inform what you need to do, and trigger some specific questions.

You've not really given much detail for people to be able to respond usefully.
I am just looking for direction of some general Hikvision camera to monitor the outside of my yard. I see packages from various companies all the time that sell a bunch of cameras in a package and a monthly subscription. I am not looking to do anything fancy. Just basic monitoring. I see all kinds of Hikvision cameras to choose from and i dont want to get the wrong ones.

I will do some more searches to see if i can find anything else to get me started. I looked but didnt find anything that helped.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread that lists out the most commonly recommended cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY. Focal length plays a big role in camera selection.

It doesn't matter how many MP you have if you are trying to IDENTIFY at 60 feet away with a 2.8mm fixed wide lens - it flat out doesn't work. At 60 feet away you need a minimum 32mm focal length, but preferably higher.

The most commonly recommended cameras are Dahua, but find a Hikvision on the same MP/sensor ratio and focal length and you will be fine.

maxxfusion

n3wb
Reaction score
See this thread that lists out the most commonly recommended cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY. Focal length plays a big role in camera selection.

It doesn't matter how many MP you have if you are trying to IDENTIFY at 60 feet away with a 2.8mm fixed wide lens - it flat out doesn't work. At 60 feet away you need a minimum 32mm focal length, but preferably higher.

The most commonly recommended cameras are Dahua, but find a Hikvision on the same MP/sensor ratio and focal length and you will be fine.

Good Info here. Thanks