Looking for Ip camera

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.

We are setting up few cameras outdoors.
Dahua or Hikvision? Currently thinking to choose Hikvision because better support of browsers and the plugin is less mandatory.

Which one of these is the best choice?
Hikvision 4MP DS-2CD3145F-I SD Slot IR 30m Full HD Dome IP Security Camera H.265
Hikvision Original English DS-2CD1141-I 4MP CCTV IP POE Network Dome Camera 01 | eBay
Hikvision DS-2CD2145F-IS Multi-language 4MP Audio Alarm IR IP Dome Camera 2.8mm

Thanks for help. :)
-Eero

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an HIK expert so hopefully one will come along, but Domes in general are not always the best choice for outdoors. The dome tends to reflect IR and have issues with keeping it clean.

Look at turret or bullet types.

Also HIK makes a 2MP low light series now, they would be 50% more than those you linked to, but worth every penny especially at night.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Eero,

Currently thinking to choose Hikvision because better support of browsers and the plugin is less mandatory.
The Pale Moon browser solves the plugin problem. It works great on Dahua cams and NVRs.
Your "Hik or Dahua?" selection considered browser & plugin. What else?

If you ever want to upgrade f/w, I believe Hik makes it much harder. Dahua, by contrast, is easier, and there are many resources here to provide gudiance and f/w. Look here: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

Another consideration might be support. If you buy from Empiretecandy (a member of this forum), you'll get great support and low prices.

Another consideration might be low light performance. Right now, Dahua is in the lead with their Starlight series.
Dahua Starlight vs. Hikvision Darkfighter
Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

I see you picked two 4MP cameras. Don't fall into the MP trap. For nighttime performance, more pixels is NOT better. The 2MP Starlights blow away 3MP & 4MP cameras at night. During the day, the images are similar....

Good luck with choosing the best equipment for your needs!

Fastb

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not an HIK expert so hopefully one will come along, but Domes in general are not always the best choice for outdoors. The dome tends to reflect IR and have issues with keeping it clean.

Look at turret or bullet types.

Also HIK makes a 2MP low light series now, they would be 50% more than those you linked to, but worth every penny especially at night.
Thanks. I currently have one dome outdoor and know the problem. :D

Eero,

The Pale Moon browser solves the plugin problem. It works great on Dahua cams and NVRs.
Your "Hik or Dahua?" selection considered browser & plugin. What else?

If you ever want to upgrade f/w, I believe Hik makes it much harder. Dahua, by contrast, is easier, and there are many resources here to provide gudiance and f/w. Look here: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

Another consideration might be support. If you buy from Empiretecandy (a member of this forum), you'll get great support and low prices.

Another consideration might be low light performance. Right now, Dahua is in the lead with their Starlight series.
Dahua Starlight vs. Hikvision Darkfighter
Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

I see you picked two 4MP cameras. Don't fall into the MP trap. For nighttime performance, more pixels is NOT better. The 2MP Starlights blow away 3MP & 4MP cameras at night. During the day, the images are similar....

Good luck with choosing the best equipment for your needs!

Fastb
Starlight and Darkfighter lines are kinda expensive compared to normal models.
The picture quality seems good enough from IPC-HDW4431C-A.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Eero,
I don't have any Hik eqpmnt, so can't comment there.

Re: Dahua Starlight, some of the $ premium is for the varifocal lens (unless you're commenting on the non-varifocal versions).
You can dial in the exact FOV needed for your cam's placement. Really useful.

Re: nighttime performance, the video you posted isn't a very dark application. Either there's extra IR illumination or a regular floodlight illuminating the scene. I see the shadows from other light sources (other than the camera's IR LEDs).

Sure, the image from the video seems acceptable. But I recommend a side-by-side comparison, using the same scene, to really compare cameras.
For example, here's a pretty thorough comparison: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Yes, the Starlight has a higher price then other cams. I have 1 Starlight and 5 non-starlight. Some cams don't need the Starlight capability, such as the cam at my front door. Motion sensor floodlights turn on when someone approaches my door, so low lux performance isn't critical. And the size of the Starlight varifocal cam is too large for a front door application. But for looking down my very dark driveway (no city lights, no motion detector floodlights), the starlight is great.

I guess I raised other considerations that might be part of your "camera selection decision", ie: 1) size, and 2) low-lux performance, if that's needed...

Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The image in the video is assisted by a 20w led, which is very bright, likely using a flood...the output is similar to a 150w incandescent...

Little Tlejunior

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
currently have two POE Foscam Dome cameras that record to SD cards that is great however one has failed recording to the card. got like 3 years out of them and I'm looking for something similar any ideas <$150ea?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
currently have two POE Foscam Dome cameras that record to SD cards that is great however one has failed recording to the card. got like 3 years out of them and I'm looking for something similar any ideas <$150ea?
foscam is garbage...
see the dahua starlight thread...130-170...170 gets you motorized zoom...