Looking for new IP cams that do not spy on me

HerrHS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I used to use Foscam cams for the surveillance of my home and so far they worked quite well with BlueIris for not too much money.
However, lately I came across these websites: Eavesdropping by the Foscam Security Camera - Schneier on Security
and
Foscam Security Cameras Full of Security Flaws

So I lost my trust in Foscam and would never ever buy one again. Also my friends were shocked and sold their Foscams directly while I am still using them.

However, I now need a new IP cam and would like to replace my Foscams step by step. So my question is: which of the many ip cams is recommandable in terms of quality, reliability and, above all, security. I don't want no cam, which spies on me or established undesired connections to strange Chinese servers and stuff like that. The price is of minor interest.

Thank you!

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use the common hikvision or dahua cameras. just seperate them from your "internet network" and everything is fine. Because that nobody offers their firmware for checking you cant be sure with any manufacture. If you want to watch them front outside there are quite few possibilities to secure your connection.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any IP camera, or anything that connects to the internet has the possibility of having security flaws

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to setup a router firewall properly so that the cams can't get access to the internet.
Turn off UPNP, in everything.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any IP camera, or anything that connects to the internet has the possibility of having security flaws

Even Hikvision cameras have security flaws.

Hikvision Patches Backdoor in IP Cameras

Even the best firewall and security features won't keep a hacker out. Just setup your firewall, turn off UPnP, turn off any cloud service the camera offers. Don't use the built in DNS service.

And really, what is it a man in China going to want to see on your camera? Your dogs playing in the yard? Cars driving by?