Looking for POE powered WiFi options for garage

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a POE powered camera connected via CAT 6 through the garage attic to the far side of the house.
I would like to get a good WiFi signal to the garage too, (my WiFi router signal will not reach).
Is there a solution to connect and power both the camera (specs say uses <8.5W) and a WiFi access point using the same POE connection by either splitting or pass-through,(POE to Wifi through to camera)?

I have looked at a few POE powered WiFi options like the Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 or TP-Link CPE210 but they use proprietary or passive 24V POE and my switch is 48VDC.

(I do not want to use powerline adapter as the garage is wired to a separate panel nowhere near my router or switch and powerline adapter signal will not pass from one panel to the next.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a POE powered camera connected via CAT 6 through the garage attic to the far side of the house.
I would like to get a good WiFi signal to the garage too, (my WiFi router signal will not reach).
Is there a solution to connect and power both the camera (specs say uses <8.5W) and a WiFi access point using the same POE connection by either splitting or pass-through,(POE to Wifi through to camera)?

I have looked at a few POE powered WiFi options like the Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 or TP-Link CPE210 but they use proprietary or passive 24V POE and my switch is 48VDC.

(I do not want to use powerline adapter as the garage is wired to a separate panel nowhere near my router or switch and powerline adapter signal will not pass from one panel to the next.)
IPCamPower IPCP-EXT2P POE Powered 2 Port POE Extender Switch for IP Cameras - Nelly's Security
Amazon.com: TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Wi-Fi Access Point - Supports 802.3AF PoE, Dual Band, 802.11AC, Ceiling Mount, 2x2 MIMO Technology (EAP225): Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think that will be perfect thanks!

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your switch is POE+.... Would this also work? It doesn't explicitly say you can power anything other than a camera (like the one recommended above) but it might be worth a shot.

1 to 4 PoE Extender

Cheaper than the one recommended above and it'll give you a few extra ports for more cameras in the future (if you have poe +)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at the power specs for both the WiFi Router and the camera I'm not sure this is going to work...

WiFi AP: AC1200 - Power consumption: 10.5W
Camera: Dahua HDW5231R-Z - Power Consumption: "<8.5W" (Max draw with night IR maybe? )
Total power required: 19W max

POE Switch port: 802.3AF- Power available per port: = 15.4W max

So 15.4W supplied < 19W required ( I think I'd have to consider max draw possibility to avoid instability or damage to either device.)

Maybe I could do: POE 802.3AF switch port to -> BV-Tech POE-I100G Gigabit Single Port 30W PoE Injector to -> IPCAMPower switch (or the 4 in 1) to -> Wifi AP AND Camera
(Is it possible \ OK to connect a POE injector immediately in-line after a POE port?)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the dahua camera does not draw 8.5w...its about 3-4 even with ir...that number may be with ir and varifocal but you only need to set the varifocal at time of setup..check the specs on the switch if you power with poe+ you should be able to do it.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks,
Dahua spec page just said "<8.5W" which was kind of useless. I do not have a way or know how to measure the actual draw so I'll trust your spec.
My POE switch is standard 802.3AF POE (15.4W) not POE+

I just noticed from the Amazon link, they also have the N300 model that is also POE powered with specs of only 5W and is $20 cheaper.
That is still more than I'd need bandwidth wise and should solve the theoretical max wattage concern.

Any clue if I could use the 1 to 4 PoE Extender with my switch @nayre posted as it is 1/2 the cost?
I have posted the question on the Amazon link to the seller to see if it can be powered with AF instead of AT.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would just install an ordinary $40-50 PoE switch in the garage, use the existing cable to feed that, and run a new cable to the camera from the new, nearby PoE switch. Then you've got a whole bunch of extra PoE and non-PoE ports in the garage to do whatever you want with.

Of course this assumes you have power in your garage. If all the power has to come from the network cable then the 1 to 4 splitter is probably your best bet. If you are going to use more than 13 or so watts then feed the splitter with a PoE+ injector.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, but the current camera cables run above the finished garage ceiling through the rafters, so no outlets up there which is why I was looking for POE powered switch & Wifi solution that could share the one cable so I don't have to mess with paying an electrician to add an outlet.

The 1 to 4 splitter mentioned does not specify if it can take power from POE AF...only says splits POE+ AT.
If it would do AF then I could use it and save a few bucks.