Looking for recommendation

RicardoK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not sure whether to consider Huisun or Hikvision. I'm looking for a bullet-type (since I'm looking for indoor wall mount), PTZ with POE, preferably 10x optical zoom and supports RTSP streaming

I've seen this one mentioned:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arrival-rotary-bullet-PTZ-camera-2mp-10x-night-vision-IR-80m-IP-camera/32437446186.html

Does anyone have experience with this one, or recommend another?

Also, I'm assuming there's browser-based PTZ controls for most of these is that correct? How good is the Huisun browser interface for controlling?

thanks for any help
Ricardo

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, this looks like a great bang for the buck. Now, if someone tells me it's good I will have to consider buying a dozen of these! :)

Seriously though, this entire sub forum discussing this particular cam.

RicardoK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I can see... I've been reading quite a few threads. But in particular I didn't get much of a feel in terms of the feedback on its quality and performance.

I'm assuming this min-PTZ does support RTSP streaming? How good is the browser interface for controlling the camera? I'm actually not planning to use it for NVR or security, rather for live broadcasting.

I've seen a lot about ordering through Monica, typically how long would it take to deliver to California?

Lastly anyone in the forum that has used the camera do you have video examples with the zoom functionality?

thanks
Ricardo

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, this camera should suit you well for a wall mounted PTZ.

The "10x optical zoom" can be a bit of a misnomer with cameras in general as it's based on the starting point of the lens. The more important number to consider is the range (in millimeters) listed. The higher the value, the more "zoomed in" the image is and the lower the value, the more "zoomed out" the image is.

For example, the lens in this camera has a starting point of 5.1mm...Thus a 10x optical zoom on it will equal a 51mm lens (5.1 * 10 = 51) when it's fully zoomed in.......Another similar camera may have a 15X optical zoom, but a starting point of 3mm. That lens would be 45mm when zoomed in completely (3 * 15 = 45), which is less zoom than the 51mm lens. The result in this case would be that the 10x zoom is "more zoom" in real life than the 15x zoom of the other camera because the 10x camera initially started in a more zoomed-in position.....As a comparison, Bob makes $100,000 a year and doubles his salary. Joe makes $50,000 a year and triples his salary. Bob would now be making $200,000 and Joe making $150,000...Even though Joe tripled his salary and Bob only doubled his, Bob is still making more money because his starting point was higher.

Point is, focus on the millimeter range of focal length rather than "___X optical zoom" as a higher number optical zoom doesn't necessarily mean you will be looking closer up to the subject you're recording.

Now back to this camera in particular, it's range is 5.1mm to 51mm...The 51mm should be way more than enough zoom for inside a building. Even an object 200 ft away will look like you're right on top of it with that level of focal length. On the other hand, the fully zoomed out level (5.1mm) may not give you a wide enough areal coverage to see everything you want to see in the building at one time. That's one of my few complaints with this camera is that the starting point does not really cover a wide angle. Granted the pan and tilt can make up for that somewhat as it lets you change the cameras position, but personally I prefer to start with a very wide angle of view to where I can see everything at once, then zoom in closer to a particular spot when needed....Depending on the size and shape of the area you're trying to cover and how much area you want to be able to monitor simultaneously, it's possible that you would be better served with a wider (lower millimeter) lens and less optical zoom. This is especially possible when mounting indoors.

To summarize, I think you would be happy with this camera and it would probably work fine for you. Just need to keep in mind that you won't be able to get a wide angle of view with this "10x / 5.1 - 51mm" model....If the room you're monitoring isn't all that big and you need to monitor more area at once, there's a 4X optical zoom version which has a focal range of 2.8 - 12mm...The 2.8 would let you fit most (if not all) of the room on the screen at one time and the 12mm zoomed in will be pretty closely zoomed in to subjects in a small or medium sized room. Only way you'd need the 51mm zoom indoors is if it's a huge warehouse and you're trying to look hundreds of feet away.

Hope this helps some. If you can give approximate measurements of the area you're trying to monitor, we may be able to help give advice on the best camera to get.....

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I can see... I've been reading quite a few threads. But in particular I didn't get much of a feel in terms of the feedback on its quality and performance.
Quality is very good. You'll get a good clear, sharp picture, even if lighting isn't the best. You'd have no complaints from that.

I'm assuming this min-PTZ does support RTSP streaming? How good is the browser interface for controlling the camera? I'm actually not planning to use it for NVR or security, rather for live broadcasting.
Yes, it supports RTSP streaming. The browser interface is good. The controls are fairly easy to navigate and tend to work smoothly.

I've seen a lot about ordering through Monica, typically how long would it take to deliver to California?
A lot will depend on the shipping method you choose. It will usually take a few days before the item even gets packed up and shipped out. Once it does, the additional time for delivery will depend on the shipping method. If you use DHL express, it could be 2 or 3 days from pickup to delivery. If you use the cheaper Epacket service, that would likely be more around 10 to 15 days.

Lastly anyone in the forum that has used the camera do you have video examples with the zoom functionality?
There's been several examples posted here on the forum. Most being youtube videos. Easiest way is to go to youtube and search "huisun ptz"...You'll find most of the examples there.

RicardoK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow wxman, your feedback is great, I really appreciate that! Very useful information!

On average, using DHL express, would you know typically what would be been the time from placing the order to getting it delivered? Maybe 1 week?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
More than a week from order to receive. I ordered mine on the 5th using DHL and it has not gone out yet.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More than a week from order to receive. I ordered mine on the 5th using DHL and it has not gone out yet.
This is normal to be honest with Ali. Just because you've paid for 3 day DHL doesn't mean they will ship it out within 3 days!

But if you don't pay extra for DHL, then you get no tracking and it might not turn up. Catch 22.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is normal to be honest with Ali. Just because you've paid for 3 day DHL doesn't mean they will ship it out within 3 days!

But if you don't pay extra for DHL, then you get no tracking and it might not turn up. Catch 22.
For sure, I understand completely (they even state about it being up to 7 days to ship on their site), I was just letting him know not to count on getting it in a week. :)

RicardoK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How is this mini-PTZ 1st gen in comparison to 2nd gen? Melissa mentioned that 2nd gen is still in samples, not mass-produced and there's some lead time. Does the 1st gen have any problems and is it not recommended?

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
For sure, I understand completely (they even state about it being up to 7 days to ship on their site), I was just letting him know not to count on getting it in a week. :)
Even the 7 days to ship is not true. I placed an order for my 3rd camera on January 2. Today is the last day for them to ship before it gets cancelled by Ali. I got a message this morning from Monica asking for a 2 day extension. She said they had a large order recently and she needed more time to test new cameras before shipment. I gave her the extension.

RicardoK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm talking to Melissa, not Monica regarding the camera... are there 2 different representatives?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Even the 7 days to ship is not true. I placed an order for my 3rd camera on January 2. Today is the last day for them to ship before it gets cancelled by Ali. I got a message this morning from Monica asking for a 2 day extension. She said they had a large order recently and she needed more time to test new cameras before shipment. I gave her the extension.
Bleah! That means a couple of more days before I get "the message"... :eek:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm talking to Melissa, not Monica regarding the camera... are there 2 different representatives?
Yes, two different people. Monica is (from my understanding) a sales rep working directly at the Huisun manufacturing company...Melissa works at a camera retail store that sells a number of different brands (including Huisun and Hikvision)...I would stick with Melissa, if possible. That's who I ordered mine from because she was much easier to understand, not trying to rush you into making a purchase and much more willing to help. The experience some here have had with Monica on the other hand is when asking a technical question, her response is "how many you want to buy?" instead of answering the question to help you determine if you even want to buy one in the first place.

randopolis

n3wb
Reaction score

Speaking for the USA only, you will indeed get a tracking number using the epacket service. They are tied in with the USPS and you can type the tracking number directly into the USPS site. At least that is what has happened for me... 3 times. Sign up for email notifications and they will send you a message every step of the way. We've come a long way, baby!

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The personal experience I had with Monica was negative.

thanks
Ricardo
This is a video test of model HS-SCB405IP-V10-E

Last edited by a moderator:

RicardoK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, very useful info.

It looks like the 1st gen of this model doesn't support POE? Does 2nd gen support it?

One other thing I forgot to mention, I need audio as well... seems like these cameras don't support it? If that's the case, can anyone recommend a similar camera (PTZ, optical zoom, POE) which does support audio?

thanks
Ricardo

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Audio, PoE, and alarm inputs are options in either generation that cost $$$ over the base model.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, if you need GOOD audio, then these have background noise issues (no in-cam noise filters). They should be usable with careful mic placement and maybe some extra foam packed around the mic.