Looking for some advice ‍♂️

Dtsub

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m just moving to the VA area and am near the end of having a home built.

Goals:
1. have a exterior camera system that will cover all entryways and have a decent nightvision capability.
2. Either go with an NVR (most likely) or something similar to blue iris.
3. From what I’ve read, turret style is where it’s at, so naturally I’d prefer that.
4. Cameras to be metal, weatherproof, and as vandal resistant as possible without having to degrade image quality (domes).
5. If there is a package that has four cameras I could also throw the fourth one in the garage facing out, but not a requirement.
6. The battle between 2mp and 4mp when it comes to night time images goes over my head a bit. I understand the difference of sensor size 2.8mm vs 4mm and the clear difference is size due to mp. But I can’t really relate how those affect the IR ability.
7. Wanting to spend $500-600 for the three cameras and the nvr if possible.

What I’m coming into this with:
A. I had the exterior wired for Cat6 at three major points:
1. Corner of front porch (under roof and protected by side as well)
2. Back left of house (face back door) (2nd story height)
3. Back right of house (was supposed to be on the side but no suffit, so I’m going to have to work out a weird bracket or corner mount somehow to avoid going to to the sidewall)(2nd story height)
B. The rest of the house is wired with cat 6 as well. I will have my ASUS ac3200 router in the office. This will connect to the “hub” of the rest of the cabling in laundry room. Also this router has option for VPN for entire network. I also have a subscription to “private internet access” vpn.
C. Inside laundryoom panel is a nighthawk 8 port managed gaming switch. Will connect the rest of the house.
D. To the right of the panel has the three exterior camera connections.
E. I have a Honeywell security system installed that has some z-wave connections, but I’m wanting to keep these two separate unless it’s highly recommended otherwise.

I intend to buy and uninterrupted power supply for nvr and switch (in laundry room).
I have an iMac, not sure if blue iris would run well on this.

Open to all advice and recommendations.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m just moving to the VA area and am near the end of having a home built.

Goals:
1. have a exterior camera system that will cover all entryways and have a decent nightvision capability.
2. Either go with an NVR (most likely) or something similar to blue iris.
3. From what I’ve read, turret style is where it’s at, so naturally I’d prefer that.
4. Cameras to be metal, weatherproof, and as vandal resistant as possible without having to degrade image quality (domes).
5. If there is a package that has four cameras I could also throw the fourth one in the garage facing out, but not a requirement.
6. The battle between 2mp and 4mp when it comes to night time images goes over my head a bit. I understand the difference of sensor size 2.8mm vs 4mm and the clear difference is size due to mp. But I can’t really relate how those affect the IR ability.
7. Wanting to spend $500-600 for the three cameras and the nvr if possible.

What I’m coming into this with:
A. I had the exterior wired for Cat6 at three major points:
1. Corner of front porch (under roof and protected by side as well)
2. Back left of house (face back door) (2nd story height)
3. Back right of house (was supposed to be on the side but no suffit, so I’m going to have to work out a weird bracket or corner mount somehow to avoid going to to the sidewall)(2nd story height)
B. The rest of the house is wired with cat 6 as well. I will have my ASUS ac3200 router in the office. This will connect to the “hub” of the rest of the cabling in laundry room. Also this router has option for VPN for entire network. I also have a subscription to “private internet access” vpn.
C. Inside laundryoom panel is a nighthawk 8 port managed gaming switch. Will connect the rest of the house.
D. To the right of the panel has the three exterior camera connections.
E. I have a Honeywell security system installed that has some z-wave connections, but I’m wanting to keep these two separate unless it’s highly recommended otherwise.

I intend to buy and uninterrupted power supply for nvr and switch (in laundry room).
I have an iMac, not sure if blue iris would run well on this.

Open to all advice and recommendations.
Welcome Dtsub,

I would recommend getting junction boxes also for the cameras seeing that it maybe a challenge to stuff the cat5e connections back into the wall/eaves, I found junction boxes to be very useful and worth the money.

Also I suspect you will eventually want more cameras and at different locations, as cameras which are high are very poor for IDing suspects. Some well known and experience people here have mentioned expect to use 6-8 cameras to get decent coverage for a modest home.

Thus at this time you want to confirm your camera locations and see if there are scenes which you have overlooked.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

=== my notes from another forum ===

How many cameras do I need?
That's a difficult question to give a good answer to as it varies depending on the quality of the camera and what you are attempting to accomplish. I have seen 32 cameras in just one pharmacy, so you should not be shy about installing more cameras than you initially imagined.
For a modest house expect decent coverage with 6-8 good cameras. For better coverage and / or larger houses / buildings plan on getting a system which can support up to 16+ cameras.

Recommended Locations for outside cameras:
( For modest sized houses cameras can cover multiple areas - example one of the front of the house cameras can cover parking area, expect to use 6-8 cameras for a modest size home. )
2x for front of house
1-2x covering car parking area if outside
1-2x covering front entrance
2x covering side of house ( one on each side )
2x covering back of house
1-2x covering each entrance
1-2x covering sidewalk / street in an attempt to ID vehicles ( you may need a better "zoom" for this camera )

Recommended - optional - locations for indoor cameras: ( If wiring a new house add cat5e/cat6 connections even if you decide not to include cameras )
1x camera per each entrance
1x camera in the garage
1x cameras hidden facing out from the TV/media center area at face level

Addition DIY installation notes:

1) Bench test all security camera systems before installing to determine if you are happy with their performance. Test both day light conditions as well as night time / low light conditions.

2) test the view in the locations you plan to place the cameras before running your wiring, you may need to adjust the location a bit. A gopro on a stick, or your cell phone on a selfie stick can be useful here. You can also run temporary wiring to the location and use the phone app and view the cameras in realtime to adjust the view. Remember to take account of the FOV ( 88 degrees for these cameras ) of the cameras you plan to install - it will be different than your cell phone or gopro camera.To obtain better night time images try to minimize the view of surfaces which will bounce the IR light back to the camera and negatively affect the night time exposure. ( reduce the view of walls, roof over hangs, fascia, soffits, .. )
3) If you plan to use the cameras to potentially ID suspects, place the camera(s) lower than 8ft covering potential entry ways. Also remember the spec for IDing purposes is 100+ppf. Thus wide FOV cameras have shorter ID distances. A 4K camera will have 2x the distance to ID compared to a like 2MP / 1080P camera ( given both captures same quality of pixels ).
4) keep the wiring bundle protected from the elements by either pushing it back into the wall / attic area or use a junction box ( for this model please see the reference above ) I used silicone tape such as the following to help keep the water out of the connections https://www.harborfreight.com/1-i...61414.html
5) recommend getting a 1000ft bulk cat5e/cat6 cable from monoprice ( watch them for sales during weekends, get solid copper ) and the appropriate tools to crimp RJ45 ends to the cables - this will allow you to drill smaller holes during your installation. ( otherwise you will need 3/4"+ holes ) [ DO NOT buy CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire - it is a fire hazard ]
6) Have a friend help you with the wiring pulls

Bench Testing, What do I need to do?:
You want to test to be certain that everything is working from the kit.
Connect the NVR and cameras up and power up all devices, view at night and day time, see if focus is OK, IR lights work, colors good during daytime. Test each port of the NVR. You can then also play with possible locations and positioning of your cameras before finalizing your wiring. You may also want to test the configuration and settings of the NVR at this time.
Test the LNR6826K kit ( NVR: LNR6100 / LNR6108, 6x 4K PoE cameras LNB8005 ) on screen display ( OSD ) live view, try both a computer monitor and 4K TV if you have one. There have been reports of lag on live viewing w/screens attached to the NVR, so you will want to determine if that is acceptable or if you should be purchasing a higher model kit, or more powerful NVR, or using a i5/i7 PC running Blue Iris. Reports that live viewing directly from the cameras work well. Remember, the value of the cameras alone is significant and thus you will still have a deal if you decide to use these cameras with another recording / display system.

New Construction additional notes:
  • Before the drywall goes up is the most affordable time to add wiring. Pull wires to all locations you may use - better to over do it now than under do it.
  • Pull N+1+ cat5e/cat6 wires to each location, N=the number you plan to use, pull at least one extra line.
  • Remember to add wiring for alarms, extra electrical sockets to support your security cameras, media center, data center ( that's where your switch, NVR, NAS will be ), as well as the front entrance, wifi access points and routers, voice control units like Echo Dot, speaker/audio wiring,..
  • Pull electrical and several cat5e/cat6 lines to your front gate area. ( 2 sets of underground conduit is best - one for electrical the other data/cat5e/cat6 )
  • Plan for the option to install video intercom / video doorbell by the front door and gate. ( example of such a product http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/pro...-7391.html ) Plan for future upgrades as this tech is changing quickly.
  • Have the electricians install METAL boxes - I have seen too many subcontractors and later tenants break plastic gang boxes.
  • Inspect the job site regularly - even daily, Inspect for straightness and squares, many subcontractors measure only once...
  • Consider hiring an independent inspector to help you.
  • "Wireless connections are for devices that run on batteries. Everything that can be wired should be. Save yourself and others from years of connectivity problems and run network cables to your office, bedrooms, media center, and locations where you want to install wifi access points. Unless you like slow speeds and intermittent connections." - from another forum

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dtsub,

I know at this stage of the build out, with what appears that the drywall up, the following will be frustrating. I really wished you had stopped by earlier before the drywall went up.

Looking at your pictures you have 2 wired locations in the back of your new 2 story home which are on the corners of the base of your roof ( ie on the eaves ).

Those locations will not help with IDing any suspects, and due to the additional height you have even less effective pixels on ground level targets.

Perhaps you would like to mount a PTZ on one of those corners? Perhaps you have a nice scene view that you'd like to pan to from there?

What do you want to accomplish with a security camera system?
What are your risks in your neighborhood? Car theft? Burglary? Package theft? Or do you just want to keep an overview on your kids / dogs?

Dtsub

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately beforehand I went to reddit (fail on my part). I was going to go with an armcrest or reolink all in one setup from amazon and call it a day, however reading more on here it seems like that is the worst way to Go about.

Background:
My neighborhood is underdeveloped and about 25% of the houses are brand new and the rest are really old (urban). It’s in a town with a pretty high crime rate overall and the street has a pretty high amount of traffic (facing major street instead of being off in a neighborhood)

Goals:
1. Use cameras to deter would-be thiefs. I also have a monitored security package as well.
2. Prevent theft of packages.

Side thoughts:
1. I’d assume any criminal that saw cameras would be smart enough to wear some sort of mask. However wouldn’t the 3-4 mp cameras have sufficient size to be able to properly zoom in? People have been effectively using cctv since SD was as good as it gets. I promise I’m not trying to insult with that statement.
2. From the locations where I have the wires coming out I assumed I could use a POE splitter/junction box/conduit combo to add additional cameras as needed if there are any blind spots.
3. The three locations cover every possible point of entry into the home (fourth location inside of garage is possible since it has a lan drop and that would bring more clarity to driveway when open). On that note, I don’t think a ptz
4. If entirely necessary I could add WI-FI cameras since my router is tri-band and have a entire 5ghz network dedicated to cameras. Last resort really.
5. I feel like at some point the system would become overkill. I will only be at the home for three years and then renting it out so I want the system to either be easy to manage and small so I can leave it intact or simple enough to take with me and leave the wires where they are.
6. I’m considering going with an 8 channel NVR in case I need more spots, but again I’m assuming if I need to split there will be a splitter downstream of the nvr.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately beforehand I went to reddit (fail on my part). I was going to go with an armcrest or reolink all in one setup from amazon and call it a day, however reading more on here it seems like that is the worst way to Go about.

Background:
My neighborhood is underdeveloped and about 25% of the houses are brand new and the rest are really old (urban). It’s in a town with a pretty high crime rate overall and the street has a pretty high amount of traffic (facing major street instead of being off in a neighborhood)

Goals:
1. Use cameras to deter would-be thiefs. I also have a monitored security package as well.
2. Prevent theft of packages.

Side thoughts:
1. I’d assume any criminal that saw cameras would be smart enough to wear some sort of mask. However wouldn’t the 3-4 mp cameras have sufficient size to be able to properly zoom in? People have been effectively using cctv since SD was as good as it gets. I promise I’m not trying to insult with that statement.
2. From the locations where I have the wires coming out I assumed I could use a POE splitter/junction box/conduit combo to add additional cameras as needed if there are any blind spots.
3. The three locations cover every possible point of entry into the home (fourth location inside of garage is possible since it has a lan drop and that would bring more clarity to driveway when open). On that note, I don’t think a ptz
4. If entirely necessary I could add WI-FI cameras since my router is tri-band and have a entire 5ghz network dedicated to cameras. Last resort really.
5. I feel like at some point the system would become overkill. I will only be at the home for three years and then renting it out so I want the system to either be easy to manage and small so I can leave it intact or simple enough to take with me and leave the wires where they are.
6. I’m considering going with an 8 channel NVR in case I need more spots, but again I’m assuming if I need to split there will be a splitter downstream of the nvr.
HI Dtsub,

Don't worry, lots more to learn here, and lots of people here happy to help out.

I know I had a lot to learn, and still have a lot more to learn.

For the love of god - DO NOT go wifi! - seriously - unreliable. Also, if you have to pull wired power you may as well pull cat5e/cat6.

If you plan to keep the property, it is 100% worth your time to properly secure it to your best ability, especially as the neighborhood has a significant risk level.

Also note, SOME are deterred by cameras - others are not, and some do not even seem to notice them. ( in my case took some people 1 month to notice my cameras! )

Do take the time to go through the notes.

A very educational experience is going through video captures, I've gathered a long list here in the wiki section:
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A very educational experience is going through video captures, I've gathered a long list here in the wiki section:
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99
Link went to something else.

Side note: I was very interested at the $799 price point but once clicked on it’s actually $1999.00[/QUOTE]

Hi Dtsub,

You maybe using a mobile device and hitting a comparison link, as some mobile devices are interpreting the page incorrectly.

Do take a look at the notes in the wiki and the video references. You may have to view it on a browser on a PC.

[ update FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800 ]

Last edited: