Looking for Some Direction/Recommendation

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi:

Just joined. Looking for a recommendation on a new camera. I currently have 3 Amcrest indoor cameras that work pretty well. However, I'm seeing some negative posts so I'm open to other suggestions.

Looking for a camera outside my front door (attached above):
Works with Synology SS
POE (already have ethernet out there from a Unifi camera)
PTZ/Dome
Waterproof
Any recommendations? I was looking at the Hikvision site and was quickly overwhelmed by the number of cameras!

Appreciate any help.

S

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :)

Not to blow you away:

More specifically:

Happy reading :p
CC

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. That's a lot of information! Thinking about a 4MP from Andy.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm getting really confused now. I'm thinking a 5442 would work for me but I can't find a PTZ 4mp 5442. Are the names changed or is my search kung-fu that bad?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm getting really confused now. I'm thinking a 5442 would work for me but I can't find a PTZ 4mp 5442. Are the names changed or is my search kung-fu that bad?
I am confident you haven't found the product selector from dahua :p

Then (at least) you can compare, filter and pick form factors, PTZ'es, and other criteria.

Good luck!
CC

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In general, Dahua's PTZs are either pretty big cameras and meant for zooming in on far distances <I can't imagine you'd want one of these outside your front door>, normal "dome camera" size, or mini-dome sized. I haven't seen a 5442 (4MP 1/1.8" sensor) version of the dome or mini-dome yet.

If there really are no 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor models now, IMO the next best option would be models that use the 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor. I've used both of these models below on my front porch (albeit on the side of the front porch facing back towards the door, not directly by the front door... which BTW turned out to be a PITA with IR-bounce back into the cameras dome .. I ended up disabling IR).

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Network-PTZ-Cameras/Lite-Series/2-MP/SD22204UE-GN?us
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Network-PTZ-Cameras/Lite-Series/2-MP/SD1A203T-GN

There's also this model which uses a 4MP 1/2.8" image sensor. I forgot about that sensor. It min illumination spec (0.005 lux) is the same as the 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Network-PTZ-Cameras/Lite-Series/4-MP/SD1A404XB-GNR

Last edited:

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In general, Dahua's PTZs are either pretty big cameras and meant for zooming in on far distances <I can't imagine you'd want one of these outside your front door>, normal "dome camera" size, or mini-dome sized. I haven't seen a 5442 (4MP 1/1.8" sensor) version of the dome or mini-dome yet.

If there really are no 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor models now, IMO the next best option would be models that use the 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor. I've used both of these models below on my front porch (albeit on the side of the front porch facing back towards the door, not directly by the front door... which BTW turned out to be a PITA with IR-bounce back into the cameras dome .. I ended up disabling IR).

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Network-PTZ-Cameras/Lite-Series/2-MP/SD22204UE-GN?us
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Network-PTZ-Cameras/Lite-Series/2-MP/SD1A203T-GN

There's also this model which uses a 4MP 1/2.8" image sensor. I forgot about that sensor. It min illumination spec (0.005 lux) is the same as the 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/PTZ-Cameras/Network-PTZ-Cameras/Lite-Series/4-MP/SD1A404XB-GNR
Thank you! I was looking at the two "mini" models you mentioned and was trying to decide between them (I don't know enough to compare effectively, unfortunately). But I hadn't seen the SD22204UE-GN that you mentioned. Not sure how I missed that one!

I don't know enough about the specs so that's what's really confusing me. Which of these 3 would you think would be best? Attached is the location.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most folks here are after the best low-light image quality. One way to help gauge that is the "Minimum Illumination" color spec. If multiple color specs are given, look for the one that mentions 1/3s. Older Dahua cameras have color specs for 1/3s and 1/30s, but newer ones only have 1/3 specs.

All three of the cameras above have 0.005 lux min. illumination specs, so in terms of low-light performance, they should all be roughly the same. The SD22204UE-GN does not have IR built-in which could be an issue depending on how dark your front area gets at night.

If you haven't seen it, @bigredfish did a review of the 4MP SD1A404XB-GNR.

Did you have a particular goal in mind for using a PTZ in this location?

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most folks here are after the best low-light image quality. One way to help gauge that is the "Minimum Illumination" color spec. If multiple color specs are given, look for the one that mentions 1/3s. Older Dahua cameras have color specs for 1/3s and 1/30s, but newer ones only have 1/3 specs.

All three of the cameras above have 0.005 lux min. illumination specs, so in terms of low-light performance, they should all be roughly the same. The SD22204UE-GN does not have IR built-in which could be an issue depending on how dark your front area gets at night.

If you haven't seen it, @bigredfish did a review of the 4MP SD1A404XB-GNR.

Did you have a particular goal in mind for using a PTZ in this location?
This is very helpful! I missed the fact that the SD22204UE-GN doesn't have IR. That would important to me I think - when the lights are off outside there isn't much light at all out there.

The main purpose is just to see people approaching the front door or who is coming down the driveway. I like the PTZ because I could also scan up the driveway - you can see in the pic that I can't see the driveway area, just the door.

It looks like I'm down to deciding between the 2MP and 4MP mini PTZs.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Take a look at the mini PTZ cams that look like a flying saucer that @looney2ns reviewed.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
As I recall, there are several models of these UFO type both 2MP and 4MP. Probably more reviews but here's a start....

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I recall, there are several models of these UFO type both 2MP and 4MP. Probably more reviews but here's a start....

Looking at this one: Amazon.com : EmpireTech SD1A203T-GN IP Camera 2MP 3X Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera Support PoE English Version : Camera & Photo

And this one: Amazon.com : Loryta SD1A404XB-GNR 4M 4X Starlight IR PTZ AI Network Camera PoE Face Detection English Version : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From what I'm reading, the 203T will do a little better in really low light. But the 404XB offers 4MP. What I'm not sure about is whether the 404XB offers anything else in addition to 4MP.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I'm reading, the 203T will do a little better in really low light. But the 404XB offers 4MP. What I'm not sure about is whether the 404XB offers anything else in addition to 4MP.
I'm tapping out...You have enough info now to be dangerous :rofl: Read the reviews and ask specific question and I'm sure the smart guys will help you out.