Looking for sump alarm with phone notifications; Blue-Iris plug-in?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got bitten by the sump complacency bug. I've got a fine pump, replace it and the float every five years or so, always worried but the water table seemed to be low enough that even in the worst of times the sump just runs occasionally. The last few days we had a little rain, not much actually, and somehow the amount of water in the water table skyrocketed, at the same time as the float caught on an incoming water drain tile. An inch or two of water, carpet ruined etc..

So I fixed the proximal problem (cut off some excess drain tile in the pit), and plan to get a backup sump, probably water-driven.

But I want an audible (loud as hell) alarm, and want it to ping my phone if a certain threshold is reached.

Actually what I really want is to be able to capture sump pump on/off cycling as well as water level at all times, with the alarms described above too. Maybe alarm continuously sensing, with water level recorded once per minute, on my PC?

And yes, a sump-cam so I can visually see where the water is: that's the easy part.

I use BI for my cams; is there a plug in or something that works with some pre-existing solution to do some or all of this? I would appreciate any guidance

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got bitten by the sump complacency bug. I've got a fine pump, replace it and the float every five years or so, always worried but the water table seemed to be low enough that even in the worst of times the sump just runs occasionally. The last few days we had a little rain, not much actually, and somehow the amount of water in the water table skyrocketed, at the same time as the float caught on an incoming water drain tile. An inch or two of water, carpet ruined etc..

So I fixed the proximal problem (cut off some excess drain tile in the pit), and plan to get a backup sump, probably water-driven.

But I want an audible (loud as hell) alarm, and want it to ping my phone if a certain threshold is reached.

Actually what I really want is to be able to capture sump pump on/off cycling as well as water level at all times, with the alarms described above too. Maybe alarm continuously sensing, with water level recorded once per minute, on my PC?

And yes, a sump-cam so I can visually see where the water is: that's the easy part.

I use BI for my cams; is there a plug in or something that works with some pre-existing solution to do some or all of this? I would appreciate any guidance

Thanks!
Look at the zwave sensors and hubs. Lots of options. I would leave BI out of it.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve seen where folks use a combo of a Zwave moisture detector and either a Zwave vibration sensor (mounted directly to the pump) or having the pump plug into a Zwave outlet that can sense when it’s drawing power. Then you write a little script on the hub to notify you via email and sound a Zwave alarm speaker thing...

Sump pumps seem to have a few threads on most home automation forums. :)

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I will investigate the Zwave stuff and eventually report back what I come up with. Meanwhile any alternative suggestions appreciated.

Thanks guys.