Looking for USA made 4k turret cameras w/colored night vision

Reaction score
I would like to stick with USA made 4k turret cameras with colored night vision - does anyone have suggestions?

After just dipping my toes in this world and reading about the Chinese government being owners in both Duhua & Hikvision with backdoors, I'd really like to avoid these two brands & at least try and get a USA made system. However, I've also been reading that there aren't many USA made turret options and the quality isn't as good as chinese made - which are both disappointing to hear.

I know you can lock down all cameras, but I still prefer USA made cameras. I only need 4 of them, so I can buffer the extra cost and add them one by one as budget allows if I have to.

I also realize USA made cameras are probably all backdoored liked chinese cameras are, but I'd still like to go with USA made ones.

But I seem to be having a hard time finding turret cameras, what are my options?

3 of the main requirements I do want them to have is being 4k turrets with colored night vision.

I will probably add additional IR light bars to the outside of the house in order to add supplemental lighting to get the best colored images at night. I feel for an additional few hundred dollars more, this is a fantastic way to increase the quality of 4k cameras at night.

I will be looking into properly locking them down with a firewall.

I am open to running an NVR or BI on either a dedicated computer, or more likely just connected to my main computer. I'd only like to be able to remotely access the NVR/BI/DVR that way, keeping a buffer between everything instead of accessing cameras directly and compromising the network.

I will also be looking into running them on an encrypted VPN router for the most secure network setup.

If there aren't any USA options that meet my 3 main requirements of 4k, turrets & colored night vision, what would be the next best, non-chinese government owned alternative?

I've found a US company called Open Eye, but they don't seem to have turrets.

Last edited:

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are any consumer video cameras made in the USA? I would be real surprised.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
While I support the idea of buying US made, it is just not practical with video surveillance cameras. The offerings from US, or other non-Chinese based, sources are far too limited, far too expensive (think 5 to 10X the price) and there are very few, if any, that offer turrets. I wish you luck in your quest, especially looking for 4K. There are already numerous threads here discussing this same issue and all have come to the conclusion that there is no effective alternative.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to stick with USA made 4k turret cameras with colored night vision - does anyone have suggestions?

After just dipping my toes in this world and reading about the Chinese government being owners in both Duhua & Hikvision with backdoors, I'd really like to avoid these two brands & at least try and get a USA made system. However, I've also been reading that there aren't many USA made turret options and the quality isn't as good as chinese made - which are both disappointing to hear.

I know you can lock down all cameras, but I still prefer USA made cameras. I only need 4 of them, so I can buffer the extra cost and add them one by one as budget allows if I have to.

I also realize USA made cameras are probably all backdoored liked chinese cameras are, but I'd still like to go with USA made ones.

But I seem to be having a hard time finding turret cameras, what are my options?

3 of the main requirements I do want them to have is being 4k turrets with colored night vision.

I will probably add additional IR light bars to the outside of the house in order to add supplemental lighting to get the best colored images at night. I feel for an additional few hundred dollars more, this is a fantastic way to increase the quality of 4k cameras at night.

I will be looking into properly locking them down with a firewall.

I am open to running an NVR or BI on either a dedicated computer, or more likely just connected to my main computer. I'd only like to be able to remotely access the NVR/BI/DVR that way, keeping a buffer between everything instead of accessing cameras directly and compromising the network.

I will also be looking into running them on an encrypted VPN router for the most secure network setup.

If there aren't any USA options that meet my 3 main requirements of 4k, turrets & colored night vision, what would be the next best, non-chinese government owned alternative?

I've found a US company called Open Eye, but they don't seem to have turrets.
Dahua is not owned by the chinese gov.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also realize USA made cameras are probably all backdoored liked chinese cameras are
Regardless of whether that's true or not, I simply distrust any camera or IoT device on basic principle. Just keep them isolated from the rest of your network (physically or through VLAN), keep them from connecting to the Internet and only allow your NVR/surveillance software (such as Blue Iris) to connect to them. Backdoors are irrelevant if you do all that.

Reaction score
Hmm well I appreciate that detailed overview.

I am heavily looking into the new 4mp 1/1.8" Dahua turrets from the other thread we're discussing. I've also seen someone mention there is a Honeywell 30 Series that is actually NDAA compliant and has pretty good specs, but still only a 1/2.8" sensor. I know sensor size is really important for image quality.

Are you familiar with those?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I'm not, but I can say that a 4MP camera with a 1/2.8" sensor will need enough floodlights to make it look like daytime to maintain full color at night. 2MP cameras struggle with full color at night and that means they're getting double the light per pixel than a 4MP does.

If you're concerned about security, put the cameras on a separate LAN or VLAN, shut down all the P2P style crap and block their MAC addresses in your router to prevent them from getting any access to the internet.

I should add the following...You can slow the shutter speed down far enough to get full color at night. The still shots will look great, but any motion will be nothing more than a blur and ghosted to the point of being useless for anything.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm well I appreciate that detailed overview.

I am heavily looking into the new 4mp 1/1.8" Dahua turrets from the other thread we're discussing. I've also seen someone mention there is a Honeywell 30 Series that is actually NDAA compliant and has pretty good specs, but still only a 1/2.8" sensor. I know sensor size is really important for image quality.

Are you familiar with those?
Those are made by Dahua.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of that info @sebastiantombs !

@looney2ns - that was speculated in the thread that had mentioned/suggested them as an NDAA compliant camera. But Honeywell apparently swears up and down that they are NDAA compliant, but if they're actually made by Dahua and Dahua is banned, then how can they legally, lawfully & honestly say that? I wouldn't think a company like Honeywell would over step their bounds on something like that.

Here's the thread that suggested them as an NDAA compliant alternative:

Just another one of those oddities of The Matrix I suppose, all smoke and mirrors...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember, that "ban" is on governmental purchases only, not businesses or the general public. To be honest, you'll probably never find any camera that doesn't contain some parts, or even complete sub-assemblies, made in the far East, China being the major source.

Reaction score
Yeah but it's really alarming that the Chinese government is part owners in Dahua & also Hikvision, which are clearly the 2 biggest and most advanced manufactures in the world...

They've said we've had microphones in our dishwashers for over 2 decades, one could only imagine the backdoors the newest & most advanced Chinese surveillance tech actually has...

But I guess we just have to embrace our Tech Overlords lol

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not alarmed by that at all. I have all my cameras isolated and blocked from the internet. I suppose that they COULD find a way to get out there with a spoofed MAC address, but that would show up in the router logs s well as in the connected devices list.

What, exactly, would a microphone in a dishwasher be able to do. The only connection is an AC line. The motor noise, even in a Bosch, would drown out anything except the motor and the sound proofing, even on a cheapy, would muffle the heck out of anything further than three feet away.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but it's really alarming that the Chinese government is part owners in Dahua & also Hikvision, which are clearly the 2 biggest and most advanced manufactures in the world...

They've said we've had microphones in our dishwashers for over 2 decades, one could only imagine the backdoors the newest & most advanced Chinese surveillance tech actually has...

But I guess we just have to embrace our Tech Overlords lol
As per @fendermans post above, Dahua is not owned by the China government.