Looking Forward to Wiki Referrals

Smiddy145

n3wb
Reaction score
Stumbled across this forum and after reading a bit it has come to my attention I may not be out of the woods just yet despite all the Blue Iris setup guides I have been consuming on youtube. I am new to this forum and brand new to ip camera setups. Luckily for me my hardware is already purchased and in shipping prior to falling into the abyss of what to buy posts on here. Would have delayed purchasing my setup for weeks. I am getting into this for an in home child care need that has come to fruition. Now I am spearheading an in home 11/5 nanny surveillance system with constant recording, no subscriptions, and mobile access to live stream.

I am pretty confident in my ability to configure my Blue Iris software, connect my cameras, and record required video from all of the guides and posts on here. My goal right now after reading Nayr's VPN primer for Noobs post is setting up OpenVPN for secure mobile access. After registering and logging in I have come to the realization that I have some learning to do. My GoogleFu is above novice level but by no means am I a black belt. I will probably be making posts about this in the near future due to the need for reassurance when it comes to cyber security. Any Links/guides you find helpful are always more than welcome and appreciated. Below is the list of hardware I am trying to accomplish this Nanny Surveillance System with.

Software
(that I am aware of the needing)
Blue Iris
OpenVPN

Camera
3 lorex W261AQC-E Wifi Cameras

PC Hardware
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU
Vega RX 56 GPU
16Gb 3200Mhz RAM
500GB SSD(for New Blue Iris video)
4TB external hard drive(for Stored Blue Iris video)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Ditch the external hard drive as well. Video files are constantly open and constantly being written to. USB drives won't be able to handle that, even USB 3.x. Only an external SATA will work reliably.