Looking to buy first camera and NVR. Hoping for some help please.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10718-best-vandal-ip-camera?highlight=turret+dome

Is the location you want to put it right under an eave? If so, a dome should be fine. If not, I'd skip a dome and go for a solid turret. Domes hate getting water on the dome. Screws up both the IR and the optics. Turning the IR off (my preference with all cameras except PTZs) helps but still isn't good when there's precipitation. A good solid turret like a Hik DS-2CD2342WD-I would be preferable over a Hik 3345-I, but personally unless it's in a high traffic public area I'd go with two of the cheaper turrets and use the other one to protect the first one AND expand your coverage in other areas. On most homes, if someone is going to screw with your cameras you're vulnerable. A prybar or a dollar store can of spraypaint will defeat any camera, as will any mask. I like turrets over bullets in exposed areas because they're more accident proof in locations with kids, plus they're better than bullets for attracting spiders (no tempting area for a web in front of the lens with the sunshade) and better than domes for weather, particularly if you use the builtin IR. Domes work fine indoors and under eaves but suck in inclement weather when exposed to precip. I might choose a Dahua 4431C-AS over the Hik 3345-I as well. Nothing wrong with the 2342WD-I either except the price. It is a sturdier choice and a bit better camera than the cheaper plastic ones.

Joshua123

n3wb
Reaction score
If you buy from China (like I sometimes do and have done for some systems) then you need to understand the risks you are taking and what you are buying.

I've already said this but those two won't talk to each other properly (post #4). Yes, some of us can most likely get them to work but we are very techie and hobbyists. You are asking us whether chinese-domestic market products which most of us haven't used will work together but don't want to ask the seller? Well not many people will stick their necks out to say yes to that. And what if they are wrong?

I said my recommendations after saying that the 4MP camera won't work but you didn't want to listen. fenderman recommended something and you still don't want to listen. The negativity I can see is coming from the same place.
Thank you. To confirm I did take note from what you said however I wanted confirmation. I did take your advice and I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a response.

I also did look at the 2mp model but that is also a chinese model unless you're referring to something I am missing. So I have been listening to all comments, I just wanted confirmation on the comptibably. I thought perhaps the models were more common than they appear to be.

With regards to the turret, I have also looked for this info but found nothing on here and suggestions elsewhere that a dome was better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. To confirm I did take note from what you said however I wanted confirmation. I did take your advice and I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a response.

I also did look at the 2mp model but that is also a chinese model unless you're referring to something I am missing. So I have been listening to all comments, I just wanted confirmation on the comptibably. I thought perhaps the models were more common than they appear to be.

With regards to the turret, I have also looked for this info but found nothing on here and suggestions elsewhere that a dome was better.
Have you read the above post explaining the difference?
Buy the dome, in a month when you get it, you will be posting asking why your image is all fogged up at night....

Joshua123

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you read the above post explaining the difference?
Buy the dome, in a month when you get it, you will be posting asking why your image is all fogged up at night....
I've had a read and I understand now. Thank you.

I will look at getting a turret instead.

Joshua123

n3wb
Reaction score
I've found this which looks okay, I understand the the NVR I previously linked will not work with this as per post 4, however do you have any recommendations as to what will?
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hikvision-DS-2CD3345-I-4MP-EXIR-Turret-IR-IP66-Outdoor-POE-Dome-Network-Camera-/131591813713?hash=item1ea37bba51:g:8S0AAOSwMmBV4ya7)

How does this NVR look? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301199745305?clk_rvr_id=1030500743499&rmvSB=true

Also apologies if I sounded blunt earlier on. I do apprecaite any help.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's quite clear you need to buy a kit from the decent UK supplier or get an installer in. You will have no chance getting these to work. You are going to try to connect a 1MP no-brand NVR to some 4MP cameras? You are trying to cut corners and save £50 to £100, it's not possible.

As a last word of warning: Domar Solutions (West London) are a joke. My friend had an expensive system off them and the NVR died within a year. They stopped replying to his communications when contacted about the warranty. YMMV but buyer beware! That NVR is £50 for a reason, it's a complete PoS.

Joshua123

n3wb
Reaction score
It's quite clear you need to buy a kit from the decent UK supplier or get an installer in. You will have no chance getting these to work. You are going to try to connect a 1MP no-brand NVR to some 4MP cameras? You are trying to cut corners and save £50 to £100, it's not possible.

As a last word of warning: Domar Solutions (West London) are a joke. My friend had an expensive system off them and the NVR died within a year. They stopped replying to his communications when contacted about the warranty. YMMV but buyer beware! That NVR is £50 for a reason, it's a complete PoS.
Thank you.

You're right, I am trying to cut corners to be within budget. I initially did want to spend around £100 for some cheap system and other people (from another forum) tried to tell me to go for that camera. I came here for some advice as I thought people here would be more knowledgeable - which is certainly proving to be the case.

I appreciate the warning too, I will certainly be avoiding Domar.

I guess I would need a PVR like this to go with that camera: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172077680833?clk_rvr_id=1030509292933&rmvSB=true but that takes me to £180 wihtout a hard drive.

I don't suppose you have any solutions for a budget setup, I understand the quality will not be as good. Is there perhaps a camera I can pair with the following NVR instead (I know its still £50 but atleast its branded) since I now know that the original camera I wanted is not comptiable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191765191497?clk_rvr_id=1030511093848&rmvSB=true

Regards,
Joshua

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
£180 plus a HDD is a budget solution. You can't get a 4MP Hikvision camera + NVR for under £100, it's just not possible.

Joshua123

n3wb
Reaction score
£180 plus a HDD is a budget solution. You can't get a 4MP Hikvision camera + NVR for under £100, it's just not possible.
For around £100 I obviously wouldn't expect the 4MP Hik camera. I just wanted to know what I could expect for this budget, would I even be able to achieve 720 with a reasonable quality?

Joshua123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have to admit I am even more confused now because the original one's I linked which you said would not work together, the seller has replied saying they will work okay but I would need to change the resolution to only 2mp which is what I wanted anyway. Is it likely they are wrong them? I see you have owned this model of camera before so perhaps you may have some experience with chinese models?