Looking to replace my aging outdated Logitech alert 750e cameras

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
As you may know, Logitech has dropped their alert surveillance cameras.....
i was happy with the system, but after 5 years of service their starting to malfunction ......
i like that their POE for ease of installation ......not too much cable running.......
I've been looking at new similar systems, but they incorporate a hard drive thar I'd have to run cables back too in order to power the cameras...
The alert system works where every camera has their own power source n the cable runs are short......to the nearest AC outlet...
I suffered a stroke n it would be imposible for me to run cable.......thru the attic, etc...
Can someone recommend a similar system ........where each camera has its own power supply?
I'd like them to be IR for outdoor use n have motion detection n email/text alerts with video capture...
I'd like at least 4 cameras
I look forward to reading your thoughts n advice....
If you could post a link with your suggestions, that would help
A happy n healthy 2016 to all n thank you....
RB

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..the logitechs use powerline combined with poe. It will be cheaper and better to run cable even if you have to pay someone to do it professionally. There are lots of threads about various options including hikvision and dahua.

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikivision n dahua work the same way as Logitec alert cameras..?
I'd like something with bundled software too....
thanks for your advice

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikivision n dahua work the same way as Logitec alert cameras..?
thanks for your advice
No. They dont. You will need run the cable. Or use powerline adapters in conjunction with poe injectors, but that is silly. Pay a professional to run the cables in the wall, it will be cheaper than buying these adapters separately and will be WAY more reliable.. Also remember that you DO NOT need to homerun the cables to the NVR. Using a poe switch you can run the cable to the nearest network connection. There are several threads discussing moving from Logitech to proper ip cameras. Seatch the forum for logitech.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just went thru this - changing from Logitech Alert cameras to Hikvision IP cameras and Blue Iris software.

Going from Logitech Alert to newer IP cameras may be a shock to your computer. The really nice thing about the Logitech Alert system was that all video was recorded on an SD card and only motion clips were stored on your computer. This meant that the computer did almost no work - most of the work was done in the camera.

Going with IP cameras and network video recording software means that your computer will be doing most of the heavy lifting. Putting Blue Iris (NVR software) on an older Intel I7 (960)/12gb RAM system, caused it range between 50% and 80% of the CPU - ALL of the time. I ended up having to get a newer high-end system just to run the NVR software.

If you go with IP cameras, you will need to either wire all the cameras with Cat 5/6 or use powerline adapters. In both cases you will need to use POE injectors for each camera or a single POE switch for all of the cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
An average 5-6 camera (1080p or 3mp) system using blue iris can can be run on a 300 dollar haswell desktop. Hardware acceleration was added today so the pc could actually support more cams. The i7 960 is simply too old (6 years)..

OP is looking at 4 cameras. The 1080p WDR hikvisons + a 300 dollar pc and 60 for blue iris. The rest can be spent on proper wiring.

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
Should I just hire a security company to install it all? Or just have someone to run the wires?
Althogh am limited after my stroke, I still have the DYI mentality........so it had not dawned on me that I could "hire" somebody ........I wanted to do it myself
Not sure what n install would cost me.....?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Should I just hire a security company to install it all? Or just have someone to run the wires?
Althogh am limited after my stroke, I still have the DYI mentality........so it had not dawned on me that I could "hire" somebody ........I wanted to do it myself
Not sure what n install would cost me.....?
You need to be careful. Many will push older analog technology, some will be very expensive. Run the other way. You can easily do it yourself, just hire a low voltage contractor to run QUALITY solid COPPER (not cca - copper clad aluminumum) cable ...buy from monoprice.

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Forget those, junk, need to replace batteries, monthly fees, no pretriggeer detection. Wifi is unreliable. Would be cheaper to pay an installer to run your cable, why the resistance?

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
Nah, no risistence! What software recommendation? Someone recommended blue iris......does anyone know if this software will record to my desktops hard drive..? Or another software ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, no risistence! What software recommendation? Someone recommended blue iris......does anyone know if this software will record to my desktops hard drive..? Or another software ?
My recommendation is blue iris.. It's better than sliced bread and extremely affordable.. It will record to any drive you wish.. You should use a dedicated pc

RickyBobby

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded the demo n tried to use it to view my Logitech Alert cameras before I buy other cameras, but BI doesn't detect them........am prob. doin something wrong......just not sure what?
It does ask for url's, but I don't know how to attain that info..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the demo n tried to use it to view my Logitech Alert cameras before I buy other cameras, but BI doesn't detect them........am prob. doin something wrong......just not sure what?
It does ask for url's, but I don't know how to attain that info..
its in the dropdown menu, simply select the logitec camera and it will populate

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did......n nada
are you saying you dont see the camera option or it doesnt work. Lots of users here with that camera. You must have something set wrong, ipaddress/port/password etc
What error are you getting?