Looking to replace my asus n66u router

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As title states looking to replace the n66u unit with something newer. I am looking for input on choices and something that around 100 bucks .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As title states looking to replace the n66u unit with something newer. I am looking for input on choices and something that around 100 bucks .
newer isnt always better...what are you looking to improve?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running merlin on it now to see if it would help but all my wifi device seem to take forever to load does not matter what site , Phones ,tables , laptops. its not all the time but a reboot seems to help , hard wired stuff seems ok except for son xbox but i not convinced that's a router issue. I figured i would move this one out to my garage as an AP.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with fenderman. I have the RT-N66U still deployed in several places. If you want to stick with Asus, check out the RT-AC68U.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you look up "t-mobile ac-1900" that is the same router as the RT-AC68U but quite a bit cheaper. It comes locked to slightly customized firmware but you can easily find guides online for how to unlock it and put standard asus/merlin/dd-wrt/tomato firmware on it.