Looking to repurpose some equipment for a Blue Iris system

Reaction score
Do you think its possible for blue iris to run on this system

Server:
HP Proliant DL360p G8 Server 2x E5-2690 V2-20 Cores P420i 128GB RAM 2x 1.2TB SAS

POE Switch:
Cisco WS-C3750-24PS-S

Thanks for any input

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Its a bit of overkill on the Proliant server power consumption wise. Twin Xeon cpus with no gpus “ on chip”.
Are there any i7 or i5 variants with same Pinout so you can utilize the “onchip Gpu?”

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think its possible for blue iris to run on this system

Server:
HP Proliant DL360p G8 Server 2x E5-2690 V2-20 Cores P420i 128GB RAM 2x 1.2TB SAS

POE Switch:
Cisco WS-C3750-24PS-S

Thanks for any input
You dont mention your load...the number of cameras, resolution, frame rates and most importantly whether you will be using CPAI on all or some of the cameras..
This setup is very capable...

Reaction score
You dont mention your load...the number of cameras, resolution, frame rates and most importantly whether you will be using CPAI on all or some of the cameras..
This setup is very capable...
so far 12 cameras 4K 5mp

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy better cameras in the future.
Reolink is less than stellar, especially at night.
You can purchase a i5-8500 refurbed Elitedesk or Optiplex for $150 or less.
That will be much less of a power hog than that server.

A system like this will choke on 12 4k cameras all doing cpai....The server will have almost double the power...
There is work being done on coral and orange pi but until its worked out it wont be sufficient

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink OMFG - forget about it. Tons of threads here how they don't play nice with BI, and that doesn't even talk about their poor performance.

Get better cams that have AI built in and rely on that.

See this thread for the most commonly suggested cameras (and Amazon purchasing links) here based on distance to IDENTIFY. These cameras represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Stay away from Reolink unless all you care about is what time something happened. Their night time performance is horrible.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

Did I mention avoid Reolink, especially at night they are horrible. Look at these examples.

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao: (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1672013569648.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence holding a license plate)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1672013751058.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your store? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1672013780681.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the cameras can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink page where people have provided their best nighttime image captures. As you will see, they are basically useless.

Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

Reaction score
Reolink OMFG - forget about it. Tons of threads here how they don't play nice with BI, and that doesn't even talk about their poor performance.

Get better cams that have AI built in and rely on that.

See this thread for the most commonly suggested cameras (and Amazon purchasing links) here based on distance to IDENTIFY. These cameras represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Stay away from Reolink unless all you care about is what time something happened. Their night time performance is horrible.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

Did I mention avoid Reolink, especially at night they are horrible. Look at these examples.

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao: (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1672013569648.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence holding a license plate)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1672013751058.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your store? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1672013780681.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the cameras can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink page where people have provided their best nighttime image captures. As you will see, they are basically useless.

Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"
Thank you i must of misunderstood the hookupguys review.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I just choked my i7-8700 a bit with CPAI running on 2 LPR cams....yeah it ran up to 7-9% between and spiked to 29%-39% cpu on triggers AND 7% gpu....
But of course i am not versed in the finer points of CPAI.....I can't even find where the log file is writing a plate#