Looking to Upgrade my 420TVL system

steves1328

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and hope to get some good advise from those that have been here a while. I am wanting to upgrade my current system and am looking for an 8 channel (so I can add cameras later) NVR POE system with 4 bullet cameras in the 4mp range for under $1000. I have a few co workers that have 720p HDCVI Amcrest systems and they have been very happy. I started looking there, but then started researching on this forum and it seems Amcrest is not that well thought of. The system I was considering going with through Amcrest was the AMNV40M8-4B-B model.

https://amcrest.com/amcrest-4-megapixel-2688-x-1520-8ch-network-poe-video-security-system-nvr-kit-four-4mp-poe-weatherproof-bullet-ip-cameras-98ft-night-vision-pre-installed-2tb-hdd-and-more-black.html

There is a ton of intel on this site and I hoped you all might be kind enough to make some suggestions for my new system considering my above specs. Some of what I have read has led me to believe that Dahua is making cameras for Amcrest now and I have seen some stuff on her positive in regards to Dahua cameras. I defiantly want a system that I can configure easily for remote access on my phone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Amcrest rebrands Dahua systems but limits you to certain camera designs and lens sizes, which charging you a premium. Note that the qsee and lorex systems sold at costco are also rebranded dahua...costco offers a lifetime return policy...
Also note that if you were willing to pay 900 dollars for that system, look at this unit from costco http://www.costco.com/AvertX-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-4TB-HDD,-4-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100305642.html The cameras are motorized varifocal so you can set it just right and youll have the lifetime return option...it also includes 4tb of storage..
Otherwise you can piece together your own at a lower cost...

steves1328

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman thank you for your response. If I were to piece a system together is there a recommended brand. I have seen a lot of people leaning toward Hikvision. The problem I am having is there are so many options within each brand and within each camera resolution and I have a lot more limited knowledge than you all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman thank you for your response. If I were to piece a system together is there a recommended brand. I have seen a lot of people leaning toward Hikvision. The problem I am having is there are so many options within each brand and within each camera resolution and I have a lot more limited knowledge than you all.
With hikvision you need to be concerned about china region cams...you will not be able to update the firmware....see this thread for rebranded hikvision with full warranty..https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at
Dahua is a great brand and in some ways better than hikvision with some nice options...but if you want easy, then I would suggest buying from costco so you can get tech support and easy returns...

steves1328

n3wb
Reaction score