Looks like using GMAIL to send alert images may stop working on 30-May-2022....

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just noticed this email on the gmail account that I use to send alert images.......

1646914735624.png

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ditch the email messaging. Push your notifications. You'll be much happier.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ditch the email messaging. Push your notifications. You'll be much happier.

Currently doing both... not using Pushover yet, just my standard carrier texts.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, with Pushover, API is the way to go because using the e-mail address they assign, you would still need a SMTP server, correct?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, I was using Gmail to send emails to Pushover, but once I got the api method working, it seems to be a tiny bit faster, plus you cut out one more middleman (email). Also nice to be able to assign certain notification sounds to certain cameras, which I couldn't do before.

If Gmail is eliminating less secure sign in, I'm afraid people won't have a choice soon.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An earlier thread on the issue:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My understanding of this warning is that using the account's simple username/password will stop working for less secure apps.

However, if you are using an "App Password" for the account the ability to use "less secure" applications will continue to work. Not recommended, but still allows access and continued functionality.

Additional content from Google Account Help has the following suggestions as how to address this security enhancement.

1646952197729.png

Within Manage Your Google Account / Security / Signing in to Google is where you can create App Passwords (use a unique one for each instance of computer / application.

1646952132823.png

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My understanding of this warning is that using the account's simple username/password will stop working for less secure apps.
However, if you are using an "App Password" for the account the ability to use "less secure" applications will continue to work. Not recommended, but still allows access and continued functionality.
Additional content from Google Account Help has the following suggestions as how to address this security enhancement.

View attachment 121672

Within Manage Your Google Account / Security / Signing in to Google is where you can create App Passwords (use a unique one for each instance of computer / application.

View attachment 121670
Seems to be.
In the other thread I included this video for settings one of these application passwords up.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you use this? If so I'm interested what you think of it. I would really like to cut the Gmail cord
Yep. I have used it for over 2 years. It works fine, has phone apps, it's free and Google can't get into it and then plaster ads all over my internet, based on what discussions I had in my Gmail account about a product 3 minutes before. I have multiple addresses. One is just a burner account I use when I sign up for something and you have to give them an e-mail account. I never look at it. You can set them up to purge things in the inbox after so many days, etc, etc.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
In my opinion I like the sms picture alert much better. With the push it only keeps one image, where the sms you are able to scroll back thru the images. Maybe I'm missing a setting to have keep previous image alerts.. granted the push is faster, I like to see all the alert images incase I missed one before the latest arrives if that makes sense

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
In the Pushover app, you can scroll back though all alerts/pictures. There is even a drop down menu so you can only display alerts from a certain app, or have them all display together in time order.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
In the Pushover app, you can scroll back though all alerts/pictures. There is even a drop down menu so you can only display alerts from a certain app, or have them all display together in time order.
Not sure if you are referring to the bi app and just going to alerts or if there is something I'm missing

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oops, I think I misread your post. If you are referring to the blue iris app push, then I cannot comment, as I don't use the app for push.

I thought you were referring to Pushover, which has the ability to display all past alerts and pictures.

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Am I understanding that there's a way for BI to push a picture to the mobile app? If so how do you enable that? Right now when I get push notifications from BI app on my phone it's just text stating which camera caused the alert. At that point I connect to my VPN and use the app to view the alert, or wait for the BI -> Gmail -> SMS loop to get the picture via SMS.

Additionally, I'm intrigued by all the talk about the Pushover app. Is there a good tutorial thread about what Pushover does and how to set it up? I don't love the BI->gmail->sms path and how slow it is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Am I understanding that there's a way for BI to push a picture to the mobile app? If so how do you enable that? Right now when I get push notifications from BI app on my phone it's just text stating which camera caused the alert. At that point I connect to my VPN and use the app to view the alert, or wait for the BI -> Gmail -> SMS loop to get the picture via SMS.

Additionally, I'm intrigued by all the talk about the Pushover app. Is there a good tutorial thread about what Pushover does and how to set it up? I don't love the BI->gmail->sms path and how slow it is.
The only way (other than opening a port) to get a picture in the BI app when remote and not at home is to have VPN running in the background. Otherwise you get what you get now.

The Pushover app will give you a picture when remote and not on VPN. Here is the thread: