Looks like we all will need home generators.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what I did. Added a couple of deep cycle optima batteries. I close the AGM cells due to
lead acid cells off gassing stuff I don't want in my house. They have worked well, so I added another
set if H6 yellow top optima to my other UPS to power my PC, TV and other media stuff.
Good points. People may not realize that when charging a lead acid battery, it off gasses' hydrogen gas. Hindenburg anyone.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
We’re back to normal but now I get a chance to put in a whole house generator because my wife kept asking why don’t we have one? :)

Pleased to report that all systems, HA, BI, work computers, NAS, etc. came back online as expected.
Order one quickly, before she gets a chance to think about it and changes her mind.....:thumb:

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Put them in a 10 by 10 cell that's covered by conductive metal . The only area that is not electrically conductive is a center section that's 2 by 2 area. After a few hours, they will take care of themselves saving the taxpayer thousands.
I'll gladly pay for the electricity for those cells.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We’re back to normal but now I get a chance to put in a whole house generator because my wife kept asking why don’t we have one? :)

Pleased to report that all systems, HA, BI, work computers, NAS, etc. came back online as expected.
Because the generators can take a few minutes (some less), I keep a UPS on all the camera servers and POE switches. It prevents downtime and lessens surges.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since I work from home, I was lucky enough to get my employer pay for a generator. I went with a Generac 22Kw guardian. It has saved us several times, mostly from snow storms knocking out power.

I have found that the Generac is fairly painless to keep up. It has programmable excersize to keep the battery charged up and keep everything primed if needed. Years back when I lived in the South, the older models didn't have this. My electrician friend used to be very busy after a hurricane when all the generators wouldnt start due to dead batteries.

Reaction score
The exercise is not really to charge the battery. Circuit T1 supplies power to the internal battery charger. The problem is some like to connect T1 to the utility feed instead of customer load. In that situation under a long outage the battery is not charging. When the power comes on long enough to shut the generator down but not long enough to recharge the battery thing don’t work as well.

Last edited:

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wish I had the money but I really like the battery banks with transfer switch set up for a house.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The exercise is not really to charge the battery. Circuit T1 supplies power to the internal battery charger. The problem is some like to connect T1 to the utility feed instead of customer load. In that situation under a long outage the battery is not charging. When the power comes on long enough to shut the generator down but not long enough to recharge the battery thing don’t work as well.
Makes sense. I know he got a lot of calls as soon as the power went out. For whatever reason the generators weren't working.

Reaction score
While they are very self sufficient and meant to be out of sight out of mind to the end user they do require some maintenance and upkeep. For one, keep the bugs out. Ants are real hard on the circuit board in the control panel

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since I work from home, I was lucky enough to get my employer pay for a generator. I went with a Generac 22Kw guardian. It has saved us several times, mostly from snow storms knocking out power.

I have found that the Generac is fairly painless to keep up. It has programmable excersize to keep the battery charged up and keep everything primed if needed. Years back when I lived in the South, the older models didn't have this. My electrician friend used to be very busy after a hurricane when all the generators wouldnt start due to dead batteries.
You are lucky to have an employer do this for you. Also, home standby gens add selling value to your home. You get back more than the cost of the unit and installation.

Excersizining the gen every month or two is a good thing as you will find out things that need to be repaired before you really need it.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...there was no sabotage, nothing to see here... crime is a figment of your imaginations...

Remember, you can run your entire house on totally green energy, Overunity fusion, with an alternator connected to another alternator and started by hand, batteries power by Cow Patties 24/7...and there is such a thing as kid friendly strip clubs at thier schools....

You can make your electric cars/trucks run and charge forever, perpetual charging by adding an Alternator and strapping a gas generator to the back bumpers.

.... Always remember, Trees swaying back and forth make the wind blow and if your turn up the heat slightly in your fishes tanks they will get thirsty....

6t4f5g.jpg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Told ya they were ANTIFA thugs.....

ANTIFA?

I'm going to say there is a 90% chance they are more right wing leaning than left wing...... Obviously we have no way of knowing (yet) if there are any political motives, but they sure seem like "red neck" idiots to me. I realize this is in Washington State, so people aren't called red necks there, but it's the same type of person. - hooptie pickup truck, camo clothing (hard to tell from images I've seen however), modified firearms that are NFA non-compliant, and a scheme to rob a store. They seem to be stupid rather than politically motivated.....