Lorex Home App update - Good news!

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm not sure where the right place is to put this but I'll start here.

I have purchased several Lorex camera kits from Costco and they have been ok. Not as good as would like, but they have been fine enough to try with Costco backing them. The latest set I purchased from Costco was in December 2019 and it was advertised as an NVR compatible with Google Home/Alexa and casting (Lorex's 861 series) however they were shipping it with the 881 series. Some Costco members were notified that they could exchange the 881 for the 861. I wasn't one of them. The 861 works with the Lorex Home app. The 881 works with the Lorex Cloud app. The specs on paper for the 881 appear to be better (Higher bandwidth, 4K recording at 30 FPS, etc), however, the Lorex Cloud app is terrible. Notifications of events is horrible. Viewing video of those events is horrible. My wife hated it. We previously had a Smart NVR from Lorex that used the Lorex Home app and she really like it. She would always check out the smart video notifications, especially to see the critters that we have visit us.

So the 881 was not a better NVR for us. I contacted Costco and said I wanted the same option other members were offered. I got the run around and had a very rude customer service supervisor that wouldn't help me at all. After enough of this, I wrote an email to the CEO of Costco. He got the ball rolling and I got the help I needed the very next day from someone at Costco.

The biggest issue I've had with the 861 NVR was that it had playback issues in the app. If you viewed video (continuously recorded) then came up to a motion recorded event, it would skip sections or seconds of video. I would have to manually move the video indicator inside of a motion event to get it to playback and even then, it didn't want to play the whole event. There was no continuous video from time A to time B.

Right now, I have the 861 NVR and 881 NVR and Lorex has been hounding me about returning the 881. I told them I would not return it until I had tested the 861 and everything was working well. Eventually, Tech Support asked me what the issue and video of the issue. I provided them screen recorded video from my phone to show them the issue. I have not heard back from them but tonight there was an app update in Android for Lorex Home. I went back and checked the video.... THEY FIXED IT!!! It's not perfect. There is a small delay between video segments but it plays from time A to time B.

Here's the video before the app update:

Here's the video after the app update:
This is huge for me. I saw mentions of similar behavior mentioned on the forums here but no definitive answers.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,
.. I went back and checked the video.... THEY FIXED IT!!! It's not perfect. There is a small delay between video segments but it plays from time A to time B.

This is huge for me. I saw mentions of similar behavior mentioned on the forums here but no definitive answers.
Thanks @digdoug

That's good news.

Please let us know a bit about what they appeared to have done to fix this. ( new app only? config on nvr? new firmware on nvr? ... )

Also, please let us know a bit more about the differences you've noticed between the 2 NVRs ( 861 vs 881 )

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @digdoug

That's good news.

Please let us know a bit about what they appeared to have done to fix this. ( new app only? config on nvr? new firmware on nvr? ... )

Also, please let us know a bit more about the differences you've noticed between the 2 NVRs ( 861 vs 881 )
The issue must have been with the Lorex Home app. I didn't change anything on the NVR (settings or firmware). I just checked the firmware version to ensure it wasn't updated automatically and it is the same.

As for the differences between the 2 NVRs, there's a huge advantage to the Lorex Home (861) app over the Lorex Cloud (881) app in my opinion. The kit from Costco ships with 9, 4K 15FPS Smart Deterrent cameras so the NVR being able to record 30FPS is an unused feature unless you are replacing the cameras or augmenting it with 30FPS cameras. Both NVRs support 2 Hard Drives. The upper limit is probably the same although the materials may state 16TB vs 20TB (IIRC).

The smart detection isn't as clearly defined on the 881 firmware. Also, with the 881, I wasn't receiving notifications of smart motion events in the Lorex Cloud app. It was motion events only. With the 861 and Lorex Home app, you can click on whatever event was triggered and it brings up the video for playback. That doesn't happen with Lorex Cloud.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The issue must have been with the Lorex Home app. I didn't change anything on the NVR (settings or firmware). I just checked the firmware version to ensure it wasn't updated automatically and it is the same.

As for the differences between the 2 NVRs, there's a huge advantage to the Lorex Home (861) app over the Lorex Cloud (881) app in my opinion. The kit from Costco ships with 9, 4K 15FPS Smart Deterrent cameras so the NVR being able to record 30FPS is an unused feature unless you are replacing the cameras or augmenting it with 30FPS cameras. Both NVRs support 2 Hard Drives. The upper limit is probably the same although the materials may state 16TB vs 20TB (IIRC).

The smart detection isn't as clearly defined on the 881 firmware. Also, with the 881, I wasn't receiving notifications of smart motion events in the Lorex Cloud app. It was motion events only. With the 861 and Lorex Home app, you can click on whatever event was triggered and it brings up the video for playback. That doesn't happen with Lorex Cloud.
Feel free to share any pictures of the backside connectors and motherboards on these units so that others can compare if they need to with Dahua OEM products. Thanks Digdoug