Lorex LNB3163 Cameras with Blue Iris?

Nocturn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Gang, Costco is offering up a $200 discount on a nice looking Lorex Kit so I pulled the trigger (its shipping next week). This is a starting point for me, and admittedly, I opted to go this route because Im still pretty green and prefer the costco and Lorex-US support.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8733495-lorex-8-channel-hd-nvr-with-2tb-hdd-4-3mp-cameras-with-130-night-vision-499#originalPost

Now from what I have the read, the NVR is probably the weak link as I add cameras down the road. Anything beyond 4 1080P cameras, and the system will start recording only in 720. But what what I understand, those cameras alone would cost around the same price I am looking at this package as a "buy four cams get a free NVR", which seems smart as a starting point.

I have a big Plex server all set up and Id like to use it with Blue Iris once I get a few more cameras for the system. I cant find any real confirmation on whether or not these cameras will even work with BI. Does anyone know? the model isn't on the BI list but then again, the cameras are very new. naturally I am wary of entering a closed proprietary ecosystem.

Any help is much appreciated
Lorex LNB3163

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-camera/3mp-hd-ip-camera-with-long-range-night-vision/LNB3163-Series-1-p

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Nocturn Welcome to the forum...they will work with blue iris..they are made by dahua.
if you intend to use blue iris and dont need the NVR, then a buying cameras with a turret design would be optimal. Better for resisting spider webs and IR in general as well as more vandal resistant.
Note, your plex server may not handle BI well - what are your specs and number of cams you intend to use?

Nocturn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! and I'm glad to hear I'm not locked into Lorex NVR's if I start with their system

I hadnt considered turrets, mostly because I assumed they were PTZ style which for most of my placement isn't necessary. I'll read up on those now.

For my Server, its running a Corei5-4590 (quadcore at 3.3) with 8gig of ram. Ram is cheap enough I dont mind adding more (thats what I had on hand) and I dont mind upgrading the CPU later if needed.

Right now, I've got 4 definite homes for cameras; but can imagine additional locations for overlap and/or additional (but less critical) deadzones.

PLan A was to buy this 4+NVR for now (as a quick fix) and then later ebay the NVR, and move old (plus new) cameras to the server. Plan B might be to simply start with loose cameras on the server now and add as I go. I suppose I am leaning toward A mostly because of the plug and play nature but am open to a compelling argument toward B.

Whats the running rate for US-friendly HikVision 3MP these days? Is US-friendliness a even a significant factor?